What are the chances of the new movie not being a disaster?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

merkin muffley

Re: What are the chances of the new movie not being a disaster?

Post by merkin muffley »

KJA and Brian Herbert have co-producer credits, which is almost always tokenistic. In this case, I'm sure it's tokenistic. They threw these guys an empty title, and it wasn't for their creative genius. If they're claiming that they have significant input into this film, they're lying.

Of course, they will try to make it seem like they have something to do with the movie because they're twats.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

merkin muffley wrote:They threw these guys an empty title, and it wasn't for their creative genius.
Exactly. It's pretty obvious that the HLP insisted on having some sort of representation. But "producer" is the most thrown-around title in Hollywood; it's lost almost all meaning.

We've talked about this before, but it bears repeating. If this thing ever starts filming, no one is going to give a damn what the Rotund Hiker and The Other Guy have to say. It won't matter in Bobo's case; he won't last three days in L.A. (or on set). Those people will eat him alive. In Keith's case, they'll just tune him out completely. If he actually pisses off the director, he'll be told to fuck right off.

It's also very significant that neither of the morons in question has been let anywhere near any of the scriptwriting. That sends a pretty clear message.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:If he actually pisses off the director, he'll be told to fuck right off.
Morel's supposedly read Dune ten times, right? If that's true it won't take him long to figure out KJA doesn't know WTF he's talking about.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

still i find 10 times is not a lot...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:still i find 10 times is not a lot...
I've read it over ten times and still get something new out of it... but that's at least ten times more than KJA.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

10 times is plenty, I've only been through it twice. Yes, you need more to be an absolute expert and recall as much by memory as some guys like Freak and Chig can, but it's not like they won't have a copy around to refer to for details and such.
lotek

Post by lotek »

it goes further than mere reference though, as Freak said every read brings something new, and I truly believe you cannot grasp all the subtlelities just by using a concordance ;)
what I mean is it's one of those stories you have to breathe, eat and drink to get close to getting all the intricacies of the themes to be able to translate that into images

from Trang's post; Frank speaks writing Dune
Six years of research had
preceded the day I sat down to put the story together, and the interweaving of
the many plot layers I had planned required a degree of concentration I had
never before experienced.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Of course, but 10 times is more than enough to get that kind of understanding of the book. Not to know every single detail and have unravelled every little secret, but is any number of reads enough for that? FH probably didn't even realize how much he put into the book. 10 is plenty for just making a movie of it, and really it doesn't even matter the number of times. Me having read it twice could do a better job than someone like KJA or Berg even if they'd read it 50 times.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Of course, but 10 times is more than enough to get that kind of understanding of the book. Not to know every single detail and have unravelled every little secret, but is any number of reads enough for that? FH probably didn't even realize how much he put into the book. 10 is plenty for just making a movie of it, and really it doesn't even matter the number of times. Me having read it twice could do a better job than someone like KJA or Berg even if they'd read it 50 times.
There's people here that probably have read it once and understand it better than KJA.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

i sometimes think he didn't read the same book
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I think he read enough to know that wierding modules weren't in it so he stopped the Lynch version and picked up the SciFi miniseries. He's 'read' that several times!

I mean come on, the guy considers dicta-hiking to be 'writing' and spellcheck and a movie to be 'editing', is it that much of a stretch that he's only watched the DVD and skimmed the book? We know he's skimmed at least part of the appendix because he found that gem about sorceresses with real powers!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:We know he's skimmed at least part of the appendix because he found that gem about sorceresses with real powers!
He got that from me at DN. :P
~Pink Snowman
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

The problem might not be Pierre Morel, who doesn't write his own movies. IMDB says the writer is Chase Palmer, who has no previous writing credits to speak of.

FTR Liam Neeson would make a perfect Leto Atreides.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Superdog wrote:The problem might not be Pierre Morel, who doesn't write his own movies. IMDB says the writer is Chase Palmer, who has no previous writing credits to speak of.
Most directors don't, do they? But they do have final say in what goes in as far as I understand, so Morel will be able to check him.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Yes, you need more to be an absolute expert and recall as much by memory as some guys like Freak and Chig can, but it's not like they won't have a copy around to refer to for details and such.
Ugh, just stop already! :roll:

Didn't you pay any attention to Hyppo? I'm a complete idiot without my electronic copies and a search/GREP function! :cry:

;)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Superdog wrote:The problem might not be Pierre Morel, who doesn't write his own movies. IMDB says the writer is Chase Palmer, who has no previous writing credits to speak of.
Chase Palmer's shorts. I think the guys got talent and am not completely hopeless with him being screenwriter for Dune.

Shock and Awe: http://vimeo.com/378249
Neo-Noir: http://vimeo.com/8898869

One thing you can be sure is that he'll work his balls off for this movie.
lotek

Post by lotek »

all right it's still that same guy then :)
i kinda lost track but I remember watching Shock and Awe and it was very good with showing the unvoiceable so yeah there is a possibity that he might be able to pull it off
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Freakzilla wrote:
Most directors don't, do they? But they do have final say in what goes in as far as I understand, so Morel will be able to check him.
All depends on how much power the studio gives to them and what contracts they sign.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

FTR Liam Neeson would make a perfect Leto Atreides.
Also:

Edward James Olmos as Gurney Halleck
Lance Henriksen as Thufir Hawat
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Superdog wrote:
Superdog wrote:FTR Liam Neeson would make a perfect Leto Atreides.
Also:

I for one absolutely abhor casting threads, but these were interesting. ;)
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

SandChigger wrote:
Superdog wrote:
Superdog wrote:FTR Liam Neeson would make a perfect Leto Atreides.
Also:

I for one absolutely abhor casting threads, but these were interesting. ;)
Sorry. Couldn't help myself. :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ack! No need to be sorry, it's just a statement of personal preferences! :oops:

Just means I generally won't participate in such threads (except to make snide comments about them). Unless of course it's a VISUAL thread with lots of near-nudey pix! ;) :dance:

I've been a fan of Olmos since his Miami Vice days (in real time! :character-oldtimer: ) and Henriksen is just too creeeeepy kewl. :lol: (Neeson's OK, but I'm just lukewarm. He could do a good Leto.) :)

(Of course, since I'm hoping this will be a MASSIVE FAIL, I'd hate to see it hung around the necks of actors/actresses I really like. :? )
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Jurgen was a nigh-perfect Leto imho.

I still like having Jet Li as Duncan and for Baron Harkonnen?

Ian McShane
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I liked him in NBC's Kings. Pretty much the only reason I watched the show.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Ampoliros wrote:Jurgen was a nigh-perfect Leto imho.

I still like having Jet Li as Duncan and for Baron Harkonnen?

Ian McShane
Give Ian Mcshane a fat suit and I could totally see it. Johnny Dep with long hair and a bit of facial hair as Duncan Idaho?