What are the chances of the new movie not being a disaster?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Superdog

What are the chances of the new movie not being a disaster?

Post by Superdog »

We can define disaster in several different ways.

Disaster as in, not really relating to the novel in any significant way. Studio funded monster made to sell cereal.

or

Very well made film that bombs at the box office and dooms ever completing the Dune Chronicles on the big screen as well as any other high concept sci-fi films.

Possibly some combination of the two.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: What are the chances of the new movie not being a disaster?

Post by Nekhrun »

None. It's going to suck ass because it will be in 3D, be action oriented, and not cover any controversial themes about religion and politics. I could see them inserting some ecology, but the thing's going to be a fucking Avatar rip-off at this point and the HLP will clean up.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm torn. I'd like to have an accurate movie but I'd hate to see the present incarnation of the HLP monster profit from it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

If the HLP can do it, more power to them. That's not bygones; I'll still lead the rally cry against them for the books, but if they can do the movie, that's another story. Anyone or anything that can do that movie justice has my support, and my dollars. But I think we all know that its beyond them and anyone they would be likely to associate with.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

When you're possessed of the Suk mentality can anything you do really be quality?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Let's just hope Paramount keeps KJA and HLP members far away from it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I would be so happy if they made a good Dune movie. So, please let Pierre Morel pull off some kind of miracle, and just keep the goddamn journeyman away from it, I said god damn. Although, it's not like they would actually ask Kevin J. Anderson for advice on how to tell the story of Dune. What kind of an idiot would do a thing like that?

I expect it to be a sci-fi action movie. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I can't imagine how this big budget Dune movie, in 3D, ends up doing justice to the ideas in the novel. I would like nothing more than for Pierre Morel to turn out to be the Kwisatz Haderach, and for him to find a way to somehow express a lot of the philosophy from the book on things like religion, politics, messiahs, ecology, set more than 10,000 years in the future, and all that. I don't expect it to happen, though. I'm just glad it's not Peter Berg.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

merkin muffley wrote:I'm just glad it's not Peter Berg.
BI-LA KAIFA!!!

Man adds new dimensions to the phrase A.P.F. :roll:

Edit: Thanks for the "monster" link, Superdog! Just finished reading it over lunch. Not "knowingly producing crap" ... that's one thing KJA & the HLP can't honestly claim unless they're hopelessly deluded! ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I think it has an ok chance - though I don't see a well made fild that bombs at the box office as a disaster, that's probably the best case scenario actually (because if they make the sequels they will be money grabs and will likely be shit, even if the first movie is well done). - If the general public doesn't like it, that means it's probably not too bad!

The guy they have working on it now is talking the right talk, we'll see how it does. I'd rather base my opinions on what he/they actually say and do than just start making assumptions. We'll see what they do, and it'll probably be mediocre.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Naturally I'm still hoping for a MASSIVE FAIL, but there's no downside.

IF by some miracle a good movie actually comes out of this, then fans and the world benefit. And even if The Undeserving continue to reap financial gains, they'll know that it was through nothing they themselves have done to deserve them: it will all be the result of Frank Herbert's and the movie makers' real work.

And if it fails massively, the stink will rub off on the books and help keep a lot of the expected idiots away. The originals will weather another slump as they have before. The McDunes won't.

And imagine what fun it would be watching KJA distance himself from the disaster. By never mentioning it at all. ;)
A Thing of Eternity

By never mentioning it? I doubt it - right now he thinks the movie will be good so he plays up his BS-Co-Producer/Director/Whatever title to make himself look as involved as possible. If it flops my money is that we'll hear at least 1 snide remark about how the movie was "ok", but if they'd actually given him any input then it would have been great.

That's my money anyways.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OK, wager duly recorded. ;)
A Thing of Eternity

Let's make it interesting, we should have 2 bets - 1 for if the movie goes well and one for if it's a piece of shit. I've made my bet for if it goes to shit - what do you think KJA will do if it goes well?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:what do you think KJA will do if it goes well?
He'll have dinner with the director then twat about it.

... that's really boring. But then so is KJA.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

If it goes well, there will be lots of tweets with lots of numbers.

* best selling movie on opening day, with numbers
* best selling movie that weekend, with numbers
* tweets about any freaking award it's nominated for. With a count of how many so far.
* tweets about every single freaking interview he gives about the movie

It will be dire.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Does KJA actually have some kind of credit? I hadn't heard that.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

At last twat, he and BH will have Producer credits.

Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Nekhrun wrote:At last twat, he and BH will have Producer credits.
Hollywood films give producer credits to people for all kinds of random things. Could just be because they're the leaders of Herbert properties or something. Doesn't necessarily mean they have any involvement with the film.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Superdog wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:At last twat, he and BH will have Producer credits.
Hollywood films give producer credits to people for all kinds of random things. Could just be because they're the leaders of Herbert properties or something. Doesn't necessarily mean they have any involvement with the film.
That's what we've been hoping. It won't stop them from acting like they're Big Time though.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm still trying to figure out what KJA has to do with Dune, anyway.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I can't help it; I'm praying for epic failure.

I figure that no movie can ever really hurt Frank Herbert or the six canon books. FH has already survived David Lynch (*shudder*) and two Sci-Fi specials (*big hats!*) just fine; both he and the Dune series will still be chugging right along in 2015, 2020, 2050, and 2100 and beyond, no matter how well this movie does.

So I figure a big failure won't do anything to hurt FH, but could do a lot to hurt the HLP. Or, more specifically, make them wonder why their two "executive producers" are both boneheads who helped fuck up a free lunch ... and whose book sales keep trending downward. Time to hire some new writers, perhaps? Maybe stop the McDune debacle once and for all? Hmmmm ...

+++++
+++++

A sidebar regarding FH. I'm reminded of a great story told about Raymond Chandler. It seems Chandler was being interviewed for a feature when the writer asked him if he was upset about some horrible movie adaptation of one of his books.

Chandler asked, "Why would I be?"

The writer replies, "Because of how it affected your book."

Chandler walks the man over to a shelf full of his books and says:

"Young man, there are my books right there. Movies can't change them. They are fine."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

TheDukester wrote:I can't help it; I'm praying for epic failure.

I figure that no movie can ever really hurt Frank Herbert or the six canon books. FH has already survived David Lynch (*shudder*) and two Sci-Fi specials (*big hats!*) just fine; both he and the Dune series will still be chugging right along in 2015, 2020, 2050, and 2100 and beyond, no matter how well this movie does.

So I figure a big failure won't do anything to hurt FH, but could do a lot to hurt the HLP. Or, more specifically, make them wonder why their two "executive producers" are both boneheads who helped fuck up a free lunch ... and whose book sales keep trending downward. Time to hire some new writers, perhaps? Maybe stop the McDune debacle once and for all? Hmmmm ...

+++++
+++++

A sidebar regarding FH. I'm reminded of a great story told about Raymond Chandler. It seems Chandler was being interviewed for a feature when the writer asked him if he was upset about some horrible movie adaptation of one of his books.

Chandler asked, "Why would I be?"

The writer replies, "Because of how it affected your book."

Chandler walks the man over to a shelf full of his books and says:

"Young man, there are my books right there. Movies can't change them. They are fine."
Alan Moore is the God of comic books, and all has adaptations have been crap. LXG, From Hell, Watchmen, V for Vendetta. LotR fans are spoiled.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Superdog wrote:LXG
The movie novelization of that one was especially worthy of note. ;)

(You have to wonder where people pull the ideas for some of these things from. But this is why we've joked here about a novel version of the new Dune movie. :lol: )
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Copies of this are available for one cent. Don't waste your money!"

:lol: :clap: :dance: :lol:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what KJA has to do with Dune, anyway.

no shit.

on the bright side, maybe they'll make him actually read the book before they let him listen in on any meetings ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008