Legends of Dune violating Canon

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Eru

Re: Legends of Dune violating Canon

Post by Eru »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:The way I see it, unless it was with Ix's help there is simply no way they'd be tweaking anything. That kind of tech would almost certainly have required computer assistance to develope and fine tune, so I would guess that it was in effect before the Jihad, then when the Jihad wiped out the computers they just switched over the navigation systems. From that time forward they were almost certainly just blindly copying the original designs, I would assume (note the word assume) that the mechanics that go into folding space would be far to complex to decypher and understand for someone un-aided by a computer.

Maybe mentats would be an exception, but still, I'm guessing that very little tinkering would have taken place post-Jihad.

Just my opinion.
With all due respect, that's just silly. :wink: Of course Ix would be continually researching and modifying EVERYTHING in the Duniverse. That's what they do. And they DO develop navigation devices later on in the series which would imply a rather in-depth understanding of space-folding tech. And why wouldn't everyone, including the Ixians, employ Mentats? They are functionally a replacement for computers in the Duniverse, and with the incredible capacity and potential of the human mind, I see no reason Mentats couldn't surpass the capabilities of computers.
If there's anything I've learned from working with monkeys, it's that there is no problem which cannot be solved by flinging poo at it.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Eru wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:The way I see it, unless it was with Ix's help there is simply no way they'd be tweaking anything. That kind of tech would almost certainly have required computer assistance to develope and fine tune, so I would guess that it was in effect before the Jihad, then when the Jihad wiped out the computers they just switched over the navigation systems. From that time forward they were almost certainly just blindly copying the original designs, I would assume (note the word assume) that the mechanics that go into folding space would be far to complex to decypher and understand for someone un-aided by a computer.

Maybe mentats would be an exception, but still, I'm guessing that very little tinkering would have taken place post-Jihad.

Just my opinion.
With all due respect, that's just silly. :wink: Of course Ix would be continually researching and modifying EVERYTHING in the Duniverse. That's what they do. And they DO develop navigation devices later on in the series which would imply a rather in-depth understanding of space-folding tech. And why wouldn't everyone, including the Ixians, employ Mentats? They are functionally a replacement for computers in the Duniverse, and with the incredible capacity and potential of the human mind, I see no reason Mentats couldn't surpass the capabilities of computers.
Fair enough, it was a half developed thought as I typed it, I was thinking of the guild only after first, then remembered Ix. I'm not convinced the technology would have changed in any substantial way though.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

SandChigger wrote:
Lionel Horsepackage wrote:cum grano salis
Oooh ... Latin! :romance-heartsthree: Sling some more at us! The other lawyers around here are stingy with it. :snooty:

:P
volenti non fit injuria. That's what Hyppo says to all the boys.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The INM was a joint Ixian-Guild project.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Freakzilla wrote:The INM was a joint Ixian-Guild project.
What's an INM?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Ixian Navigation Machine
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

chanilover wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:The INM was a joint Ixian-Guild project.
What's an INM?
Abbreviations

Know it, learn it, live it...

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

:D Time for a re-read!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Eru wrote:And why wouldn't everyone, including the Ixians, employ Mentats? They are functionally a replacement for computers in the Duniverse, and with the incredible capacity and potential of the human mind, I see no reason Mentats couldn't surpass the capabilities of computers.
But is it mentioned. That's all I was wondering.
Last edited by inhuien on 11 May 2010 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:
Eru wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:And why wouldn't everyone, including the Ixians, employ Mentats? They are functionally a replacement for computers in the Duniverse, and with the incredible capacity and potential of the human mind, I see no reason Mentats couldn't surpass the capabilities of computers.
I can think of only like four Ixians appearing in the books, Bronso, Malky, Hwi and the Inquisitors. None were mentats that I remember.

Besides, mentats were illegal durring Leto II's reign.
~Pink Snowman
Eru

Post by Eru »

Freakzilla wrote:
inhuien wrote:
Eru wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:And why wouldn't everyone, including the Ixians, employ Mentats? They are functionally a replacement for computers in the Duniverse, and with the incredible capacity and potential of the human mind, I see no reason Mentats couldn't surpass the capabilities of computers.
I can think of only like four Ixians appearing in the books, Bronso, Malky, Hwi and the Inquisitors. None were mentats that I remember.

So? The Bene Gesserit employed Mentats during Leto's reign. At least one of Leto's Duncans was a Mentat. There were still Mentats during that period.

*edit* Any of Leto's Duncans being mentats is from DE isn't it?
If there's anything I've learned from working with monkeys, it's that there is no problem which cannot be solved by flinging poo at it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Eru wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
inhuien wrote:
Eru wrote:

So? The Bene Gesserit employed Mentats during Leto's reign.
Yeah, Anteac who tried like hell to hide it, but Leto had a special mission for her. Even though he talked of destroying them, I think Leto had some tollerance for the BG.
At least one of Leto's Duncans was a Mentat. There were still Mentats during that period.

*edit* Any of Leto's Duncans being mentats is from DE isn't it?
Yeah. Leto insisted on them being the unaltered original in GEoD and left him with the Fish Speakers for a while until they were sure.
~Pink Snowman
Eru

Post by Eru »

I'm still not convinced that Mentats wouldn't be commonly utilized during Leto's reign, albeit in a clandestine fashion. Prohibition of a practice doesn't always lead to it's decline :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Plus, he tolerated the Ixians because of the illegal toys they made for him and no-ships were part of his plan. They probably could get away with using computers openly on their homeworlds.
~Pink Snowman
Eru

Post by Eru »

True. The INM is really just a computer, right?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Eru wrote:True. The INM is really just a computer, right?
I assumed so. FH never gives details about it. I like to think it wasn't AI,though. However it's hard to imagine it being able to duplicate the function of a Navigator without AI.
~Pink Snowman
Lionel Horsepackage

Post by Lionel Horsepackage »

Freakzilla wrote:Plus, he tolerated the Ixians because of the illegal toys they made for him and no-ships were part of his plan. They probably could get away with using computers openly on their homeworlds.
Precisely. Their very existence and their technology is a great example of the "Unexpected Hanging Paradox" (i.e.,the day of the hanging will be a surprise, so it cannot happen at all, so therefore it will be a surprise). Leto can't see the No-Room because it's a No-Room, and he can't see those, for whatever technological reasons there are. But he also wasn't able to see the construction of the No-Room, which, presumably, he should have been able to see.

As in, at some point, the a No-Room is its components, which are not a No-Room, and thus, not hidden from prescience, so Leto should have been able to see those. Yet, somehow, he did not. I postulate that he did not because this was an independent action on his part.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Lionel Horsepackage wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Plus, he tolerated the Ixians because of the illegal toys they made for him and no-ships were part of his plan. They probably could get away with using computers openly on their homeworlds.
Precisely. Their very existence and their technology is a great example of the "Unexpected Hanging Paradox" (i.e.,the day of the hanging will be a surprise, so it cannot happen at all, so therefore it will be a surprise). Leto can't see the No-Room because it's a No-Room, and he can't see those, for whatever technological reasons there are. But he also wasn't able to see the construction of the No-Room, which, presumably, he should have been able to see.

As in, at some point, the a No-Room is its components, which are not a No-Room, and thus, not hidden from prescience, so Leto should have been able to see those. Yet, somehow, he did not. I postulate that he did not because this was an independent action on his part.
The Ixians built the first no-field for him (Dar-es-balat). :wink:
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Further to space-folding technology; I recall something in the later books to the effect that people knew and used Holtzmann's equations (which defined a unifying theory of physics) but simply didn't understand them. So I wonder what not understanding them means. To use them they must know what the different variables and constants refer to, so perhaps they simply didn't have a physical interpretation for them. In any case they could still tinker with different numbers etc...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Lionel Horsepackage wrote: Leto can't see the No-Room because it's a No-Room, and he can't see those, for whatever technological reasons there are. But he also wasn't able to see the construction of the No-Room, which, presumably, he should have been able to see.

I'm lost. Are you saying that Leto should have been able to detect the No-Room because of the Room-ness of every other thing and event, including the construction of the No-Room itself? Leto needs Ixian devices to see things and his prescience isn't omnipotent.

Why do I feel like I have no idea what I'm talking about, and my brain hurts...
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:
Lionel Horsepackage wrote: Leto can't see the No-Room because it's a No-Room, and he can't see those, for whatever technological reasons there are. But he also wasn't able to see the construction of the No-Room, which, presumably, he should have been able to see.

I'm lost. Are you saying that Leto should have been able to detect the No-Room because of the Room-ness of every other thing and event, including the construction of the No-Room itself? Leto needs Ixian devices to see things and his prescience isn't omnipotent.

Why do I feel like I have no idea what I'm talking about, and my brain hurts...

Leto did notice when things disappeared into no-fields and said as much. Also, the INM was built inside a no-field.
~Pink Snowman
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

SandChigger wrote:
Lionel Horsepackage wrote:cum grano salis
Oooh ... Latin! :romance-heartsthree: Sling some more at us! The other lawyers around here are stingy with it. :snooty:

:character-beavisbutthead: hehehe - he said cum.
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
lotek

Post by lotek »

someone was talking about seamen on telly last night :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I drove through Seaman just earlier today... :shifty:
lotek

Post by lotek »

:lol:
man I hope you have good windscreen wipers :roll:
Spice is the worm's gonads.