Just finished all 16 Dune novels in chronological order

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Superdog

Just finished all 16 Dune novels in chronological order

Post by Superdog »

As in, I started at the Butlerian Jihad and read each book in order and just finished Sandworms of Dune a couple days ago. Anyway, I found my way here. So yeah. Dune is awesome. Frank Herbert is a king among men.
SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Just finished all 16 Dune novels in chronological order

Post by SandRider »

you read 10 books too many .... needlessly .... why would you do such a thing ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome to my humble sietch!

Was that your first time reading FH's books?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

SandRider wrote:you read 10 books too many .... needlessly .... why would you do such a thing ?
I dunno, figured I might as well. And then it's like I might as well read 'em all, I've come this far.

I tell you though, after reading all Legends of Dune books and House books, within ten pages of Dune I felt like a blast of fresh air came over me.

I was just like wow. This is really that good.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Freakzilla wrote:Welcome to my humble sietch!

Was that your first time reading FH's books?
I read Dune in High school, thought it was awesome.

To my eternal shame, I quit on Dune Messiah and skipped to Children of Dune. I quit that too and skipped to God Emperor. I loved God Emperor. Gave up on Heretics.

Several years later I went back and read Heretics and Chapterhouse. And then decided I should read them all in chronological just for the sake of doing it. Kinda like super size me, but with Dune novels.

So I guess at this point I've read them all once, except Dune, God Emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse twice. I want to read more FH books, Hellstrom's Hive sounds really interesting.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

From what I've seen of your posts at Dunenovels, you seemed to have gotten a good understanding of them. Do yourself a favor and forget everything you read by BH&KJA.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, at least make some more bitchy comments about them before you forget them! :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Freakzilla wrote:From what I've seen of your posts at Dunenovels, you seemed to have gotten a good understanding of them. Do yourself a favor and forget everything you read by BH&KJA.
Done and done.

In all seriousness, one interesting idea I thought they had, to be honest, was Gurney being made Baron of Geidi Prime. That was shelved for more wacky adventures of young Paul though.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

In all seriousness, when you get a friend/relative/neighbor/whatever who starts talking about buying some of the McDune crap, just give them your books. No new sales for Anderjacket, Bobo, and the Herbert Leach Parade!

Of course, you should try to talk them out of it altogether. But if they won't be convinced, just give them your old copies.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome Home!

I am relieved to read you had read Dune before you started your self-flagellation of reading the McDune crap as well.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi Superdog :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

that is some feat though, after the "do waterworms shit spice and do they have giant bathing suits?" I gave up.
I actually bought this pile of garbage out of respect for Frank(lying fucking rip off bastards may they burn in the fiery pits of Hell_and I am not talking smellhole here), now I know better I just want to forget about it (after making shitloads of infuriated comments of course)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:

It was painful reading McDune, wasn't it? I haven't read the "Heroes of Dune" nonsense but read the others; Hunters and Sandworms actually made me angry. It's one thing to have a bad plot and poor characterization, but they completely ignored and destroyed the message that Frank Herbert wanted to convey about "superheroes." And for what? So that they could have a bigger messiah, the Ultimate Kwisatz Haderach? :crazy:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome on board mate. Hope you'll enjoy it here. Looking forward to getting to know more about you.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome!

You ALMOST could have settled an age old bet we have with the HLP, but you ruined it by having read some of the books back in the day! (Kidding :D ) We have a bet with Byron that if someone read the books in chronological order that it would ruin the originals for them, that the originals wouldn't make sense.

There's a second bet that if someone just read the original 6 and then Hunters and Sandworms, that those 2 would make no sense without having read Legends.

Anyways welcome again!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Welcome Welcome!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Good to see you made it over here. I'm a fan of your work.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)

Hellstrom's Hive is a good 'un.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

the first non Dune of Frank I did read was Whipping Star
I was 12 I think and I really enjoyed it!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Welcome!

You ALMOST could have settled an age old bet we have with the HLP, but you ruined it by having read some of the books back in the day! (Kidding :D ) We have a bet with Byron that if someone read the books in chronological order that it would ruin the originals for them, that the originals wouldn't make sense.

There's a second bet that if someone just read the original 6 and then Hunters and Sandworms, that those 2 would make no sense without having read Legends.

Anyways welcome again!
Probably the weirdest thing about reading them all in order is the parallel plot lines in Paul of Dune and Winds of Dune. Both are split between current storylines and telling sequel stories to the House Trilogy. It's like they wanted there to be a 4th book in the House trilogy and just cut it in half and stuck part in Paul and part in Winds.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Superdog wrote:It's like they wanted there to be a 4th book in the House trilogy and just cut it in half and stuck part in Paul and part in Winds.
Nice observation; I hadn't thought about it in that way before now.

I figure there will be at least one more Young Paul episode in Thrown, since there are still three years left before the Atreides move to Arrakis. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's not some kind of intra-Dune-Messiah/Jihad flashback as well. KJA seems to think the mixed timeline adds Dune-worthy complexity. :roll:

I'm pretty sure I saw Byron tell someone (on Facebook maybe?) that Throan will be set after Children. If he's not just being his usual mixed-up dumbass self and actually got that right, it would mean that the action of the nine-years-minus-a-few-months intra-Messiah-Children remainder period (like Shazzam's clonola army bid for the throne!!!) will all be delivered in flashback.

That would mean KJA is going to try his hand at Leto early. Which is more than fine by me, because I'm putting my money on KJA writing Leto II being the smack up the side of the head wake-up people out there need. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

I'm missing something here...

who is Byron?
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

Welcome.

I read all 6 fine books a few years ago and have since read most of the abominations afterwards. When I read dune again recently it was exactly as you described: a breath of fresh air. FH is such a master of the craft compared to the two goofs its an insult to call them all authors.

Its lilke saying a hall of famer and a minor league washout are both pro baseball players.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Superdog wrote:I'm missing something here...

who is Byron?
He's the moderator of DN. He's the nephew of Brian Herbert who for a week thought that Jessica of Dune was being renamed to: Jessica to the Winds of Dune; and that Irulan of Dune was being renamed to Irulan to the Throne of Dune. I shit thee not.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nekhrun wrote:... who for a week thought that Jessica of Dune was being renamed to: Jessica to the Winds of Dune; and that Irulan of Dune was being renamed to Irulan to the Throne of Dune.
God, that was a classic. Legendary epic fail.

I can still picture the email from TheKevin: "Byron, you dumbass: we're changing from one title to another totally different title! Don't make me fire you, peasant!"
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.