New Theory on the (Meta-)Origin of the "Titans"

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

New Theory on the (Meta-)Origin of the "Titans"

Post by SandChigger »

OK, here's some new speculation that we'll have to go back through Dreamer of Dune to see if there's any support for it!

So imagine this: little Brian Herbert tells Daddy Herbert one day that he really likes sci-fi movies like The Brain That Wouldn't Die, about disembodied brains in vats and Jans-in-the-pan. Daddy Herbert, being a REAL sci-fi author, laughs scornfully at Brian (he was such a cold and remote man, after all; a terrible father!) and tells him that such nonsense has more to do with fantasy than TRUE science fiction. Little Brian runs back to hide his tears (and blow his nose) in the skirts of Mama Beverly, White Witch of the East. And while comforted by her, he never forgets.

Years later with both Mama & Daddy gone, he finds himself in a position to wreak revenge on Daddy by jamming a slew of "vat brats" into his talentless extensions of Daddy's greatest work, the Dune series. He broaches the idea with his writing partner (a younger man but one no less absorbed in himself and his "art" (snicker) than Daddy and who has taken Little Brian in hand to give him the guidance and "Shut up, Brian!" tough love he needs and wants so badly), half fearful that he will be scorned again ... but to his surprise and joy, Surrogate-Daddy agrees ... even says it's a brilliant idea!

Because Kevin, listening to his jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none gravy train explain his latest brilliant "idea", nearly wets himself trying to keep from bursting out laughing at the cruelly sweet irony that this moron is the son of the creator of the greatest cash cow he had yet been let near.

Possible? Plausible? You tell me.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: New Theory on the (Meta-)Origin of the "Titans"

Post by Freakzilla »

I think you're giving KJAckass too much credit.

You're saying KJA went along with Bozo's intentions to destroy Dune?

I don't buy it. I think KJA truly loves Dune but he's just to dumb to know what is consistent and what isn't.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I don't know if he loves it or not, but he sure doesn't respect it. He comes off as someone who loved it when he was younger, but now he wants to "fix" it. Pretty sure he's even said something like that. You can't love it the way a purist loves it and want to change it so much.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Omphalos wrote:I don't know if he loves it or not, but he sure doesn't respect it. He comes off as someone who loved it when he was younger, but now he wants to "fix" it. Pretty sure he's even said something like that. You can't love it the way a purist loves it and want to change it so much.
And he's the only one professionally qualified to fix it! :roll:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
lotek

Post by lotek »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9236947907#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not a bad theory but as freak said I don't think you should give them too much credit, both have proved many times they were full of stupid
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Marketing and money the LRon way.
Pinky and the Brian already knew each other via the What the Fucks or Writers of the Future.
The HLP lawyers goes after everybody with the same ferociousness as the Scientology lawyers are notorious.
I'm not saying he's a scientologist, as far as I know, but that's were they're coming from.

But I think you may be right on some level, too.

For example, if you read Sidney's Comet, does read as poking fun at his dad.
CHOAM
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

My feeling on it is that KJA is probably a Dune fan, but only casually. He seems to treat Dune as if FH was a doddering, scenile old man that didn't know what was best. KJA is simply doing what's best as the steward of the brand. It would have been much better the first time if he had come up with the idea. I mean anyone can dream up a stupid universe, making cliches work in them, and making BH feel as if he's contributing, is the hard part.

In my opinion BH has a bit of daddy-penis-author envy thing going on, where he needs to make "his" versions bigger than the original in order to be relevant. Kind of like a sequel being bigger with more explosions than the original...but ultimately worse. In this manner I think you're right about the Titans.
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

Which brings us back full circle to Omphalos theory the electrodes for the lie detector were used to administer electrical shocks to Brian's penis whenever they caught Brian playing with himself.
They may take yairrrr Frreedom, but they ken nivverrrr take yairrrr Duuuunnne!
lotek

Post by lotek »

you're sure you're not a sockpuppet?
A Little Galach wrote:In my opinion BH has a bit of daddy-penis-author envy thing going on, where he needs to make "his" versions bigger than the original in order to be relevant. Kind of like a sequel being bigger with more explosions than the original...but ultimately worse. In this manner I think you're right about the Titans.

:lol:
lotek

Post by lotek »

Bijaz wrote:Which brings us back full circle to Omphalos theory the electrodes for the lie detector were used to administer electrical shocks to Brian's penis whenever they caught Brian playing with himself.

I thought we were not talking of penises anymore(or at least posting pictures of them, someone knows what I'm talking about lol)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Little Galach wrote:My feeling on it is that KJA is probably a Dune fan, but only casually. He seems to treat Dune as if FH was a doddering, scenile old man that didn't know what was best. KJA is simply doing what's best as the steward of the brand. It would have been much better the first time if he had come up with the idea. I mean anyone can dream up a stupid universe, making cliches work in them, and making BH feel as if he's contributing, is the hard part.

In my opinion BH has a bit of daddy-penis-author envy thing going on, where he needs to make "his" versions bigger than the original in order to be relevant. Kind of like a sequel being bigger with more explosions than the original...but ultimately worse. In this manner I think you're right about the Titans.
I still think that Anderson just fooled himself. He read the pulp-era inspiration in Dune (unstoppable monsters, evil emperors, ray guns, space empires, etc) and thought that was what it was really about. He didn't realize that FH was trying to say something new.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I keep it simple: I think TheKJA is completely full of shit.

Sure, he's read Dune ... the same way I read it when I was 13. Which is to say: looking for action scenes and other kewl SF stuff. Beyond that, he's utterly hopeless. The only person who understands less about the politics, intrigue, and themes of Dune is Brian Herbert.

Keith "respects" Dune in a grudging sort of way, since it did win awards and is considered a classic. But it's like homework for him. He needs to be somewhat well-versed in the Dune universe to be able to have any credibility as an SF author.

But his "biggest Dune fan in the world" is total horseshit, as is the occasional "Frank Herbert was a genius" that he throws out in interviews. It all comes across as shallow, hollow, superficial, and meaningless. He's just moving his lips.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I agree completely. I think he probably really enjoyed the first book, because it is set up in a way that it can be read without thinking about any of the depth, just as a piece of entertainment rather than a piece of art. I think GP hit the nail on the head a long time ago though, when he said that KJA most likely actually resents the Dune series for it's "unnecessary" depth - I don't think it's just that he is incapable of adding depth to his writing, I think he actually veiws it as a weakness that FH had. He thinks FH was a snob who was writing for snobs, and anyone who wnts more than a simple adventure/mystery/sense of wonder out of a book is a snob themselves.

It probably wouldn't even occur to him that his ending to Sandworms with Norma acting as a god-saviour completely contradicts the philosophy of the entire Dune series, because he never read the books deeply enough to understand that there even was a philosophy of anti-hero. And, on the off chance that he did realize that (most likely afterwards when we pointed it out to him) it would seem to him that this was the smallest of transgressions on his part, because to him the philosophy is the least important part of a book, and as such he has done no significant wrong.
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

I can concur with those theories, as long as they include some sort of phallic-intelligence inadequacy for BH.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol: I do like you already. :D
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

lotek wrote:
Bijaz wrote:Which brings us back full circle to Omphalos theory the electrodes for the lie detector were used to administer electrical shocks to Brian's penis whenever they caught Brian playing with himself.

I thought we were not talking of penises anymore(or at least posting pictures of them, someone knows what I'm talking about lol)
:?:
By definition, we are talking about penises anytime we discuss BH, HLP or KJA.
CHOAM
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Mr. Teg wrote:
lotek wrote:

:?:
By definition, we are talking about penises anytime we discuss BH, HLP or KJA.
Or the lack of.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

BA DOOOooooooh... :?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Jabecca

Post by Jabecca »

The family jewels are mine now! :twisted:
"Supersize Me!" -McDune
http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lotek

Post by lotek »

I knew this talk would draw you out ultimately
Jabecca

Post by Jabecca »

lotek wrote:I knew this talk would draw you out ultimately
Of course, you know me so well :romance-lips:
"Supersize Me!" -McDune
lotek

Post by lotek »

don't mind if I do!

here have a bacon bouquet!

that should go nicely with the bacon vodka :)
Jabecca

Post by Jabecca »

lotek wrote:don't mind if I do!

here have a bacon bouquet!

that should go nicely with the bacon vodka :)
Hot damn! You truly are into making bacon! :romance-hearteyes:
"Supersize Me!" -McDune
lotek

Post by lotek »

what can I say. i like it crispy!

edit
btw that pic comes from your link http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:what can I say. i like it crispy!

edit
btw that pic comes from your link http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)
Bookmarked for recipe ideas

Gonna have to try this:

Country Breakfast Wrap

Scrambled eggs, pork sausage, potatoes and American cheese rolled inside a buttermilk pancake topped with maple syrup.

:D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman