I am Xenu.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Xenu

Re: I am Xenu.

Post by Xenu »

Ampoliros wrote:Welcome Welcome. Please don't nuke our Volcanos.
No promises!
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

Welcome to the cast out! You are in for one incredible literary journey as you read Dune. I read them years ago and still to this day gain something from the text each time I read them.
About Hubbard, I enjoy his work but sadly I was impatient in my early teens and never finished reading Battlefield Earth.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:... but sadly I was impatient in my early teens and never finished reading Battlefield Earth.
One of my Dirty Little Secrets™ is that I actually enjoyed BE. For what it is — straightforward A-to-B space opera — it's a fun read. You should put it back on your list.

(Sidebar: I think it's clear that TheKJA tries to emulate TheRH in many ways: prodigious output, plot-heavy writing, questionable religious practices, etc. What's great is that he fails miserably, as he always does)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
reverendmotherQ.

TheDukester wrote: (Sidebar: I think it's clear that TheKJA tries to emulate TheRH in many ways: prodigious output, plot-heavy writing, questionable religious practices, etc. What's great is that he fails miserably, as he always does)
You know, I think you are right. I do think the RH is great at crafting stories and KJA thinks that if he just copies his plot lines then hes alright. But seriously, if theres not a central purpose unique to the author, then it SUCKS.
I think I will put BE back on. Pay homage to the master (Herbert is god, though, no one can take his place)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I've admitted this elsewhere, I think, but I really enjoyed BattleField Earth - read it on a long flight around the world -
was looking for just one big fat book to take onboard ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hell, now I've got the urge — and I'm between books, fiction-wise.

Maybe I'll check our two used bookstores here for a non-thrashed copy of BE. I will NOT buy new, of course. There's no way I'm putting a single dollar into the pockets of whichever freaks of nature currently control Hubbard's estate.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:Pay homage to the master (Herbert is god, though, no one can take his place)
with the slight nuance that one of the things accomplished by Dune is to show the dangers of religion used for control and the impossiblity of a one and unique truth

what hubbard spawned is the antithesis of that... wether that affects the quality of his writing is debatable but still...

but hey I'll try to read it one day, I just hope to avoid the sadworms syndrome and the pain of satisfying my curiosity I felt on that dreadful day I turned the last page of that pile of crap(notice the adroit manner used to plug in a bit more mcdune bashing lol)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

I admit I haven't read any fiction from TheRH but that's partly because I'm not a prolific reader, sadly.

I find it too hard to take the time to just sit down and read, even with Dune. Damned ADD.

Besides, many more writers higher on my priority-list than TheRH, such as Asimov. Yup, I haven't even read anything by Asimov.*Hides from angry mob of sci-fi lovers*
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

You still have some time. Grab a book and read just a chapter at a time, or maybe even just a few paragraphs. Make your ADD work for you not against you.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
reverendmotherQ.

Xenu wrote:I admit I haven't read any fiction from TheRH but that's partly because I'm not a prolific reader, sadly.

I find it too hard to take the time to just sit down and read, even with Dune. Damned ADD.

Besides, many more writers higher on my priority-list than TheRH, such as Asimov. Yup, I haven't even read anything by Asimov.*Hides from angry mob of sci-fi lovers*
Dude, I used to read all the time but now I am nineteen and restless. Sitting down for long periods of times makes it difficult to focus on anything, and I am on meds for ADHD mind you. On Asimov, I have wanted to read the material by the man who made the rules for constructing robots, but everytime I go to the library I seem to go blank for what to pick up. But then again, having 18 books checked out already might be overkill.
:lol:
lotek

Post by lotek »

Xenu wrote:I admit I haven't read any fiction from TheRH but that's partly because I'm not a prolific reader, sadly.
it also means you have taste :)
Xenu wrote:I find it too hard to take the time to just sit down and read, even with Dune. Damned ADD.
One Word:
Xenu wrote:Besides, many more writers higher on my priority-list than TheRH, such as Asimov. Yup, I haven't even read anything by Asimov.*Hides from angry mob of sci-fi lovers*
to be honest I like Asimov but I do find him a bit tedious at times, especially on the planet bound stories, so focus on Dune you'll not regret it IMO
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

vyvanse is some good shit ....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Yo, I take that Ritalin shit don't make fun.
reverendmotherQ.

I am legally doped up on adderall and its all fun for being functionable till you look into to going into the Navy and find they don't appreciate drug dependents.
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

I was just on a meeting with regards to getting put on Ritalin this Tuesday, sadly they refuse, I almost died from my heart going haywire last year and the Doctor who examined my heart etc have told'em I'm not to be put on any medicine which can increase heart-rate etc, even though the defect that caused my heart to go crazy is eliminated and I'm completely healthy.

And that really sucks because let's face it, how many medicines against anxiety, attention issues etc these days don't have side-effect warnings somehow related to ones heart etc. But they said they might change their mind when it's been further since my latest heart ablation(which was in August), so hopefully they'll do that because otherwise retrying tertiary education after summer is gonna be a royal pain.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that acquires books faster than I read'em, I really need to stop building up huge backlogs!

*Gives everyone a group Xenu-hug whilst I in secret steal your alien souls!*
lotek

Post by lotek »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:I am legally doped up on adderall and its all fun for being functionable till you look into to going into the Navy and find they don't appreciate drug dependents.

i wouldn't be so sure :)
Pilots from the Air Force 183rd Fighter Wing felt the reverberations of Marshall's assessment -- which is cited on page 3 of the Navy's official guide for managing fatigue -- last April. According to reports published in Canada, they misidentified a target during a bombing run over Iraq. Meeting with their commanders, they complained they were exhausted, that the "common-sense" rule of 12 hours of rest between missions was being ignored.

Read More http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/new ... z0hsVC0Fb5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The need for speed, Demitry added "is a life-and-death issue for our military."

Read More http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/new ... z0hsVcwETn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I was a ritilain baby back in the 70's. That stuff worked like magic for me.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

rmQ:

seriously, talk w/ your doctor about Vyvanse if you haven't had a med adjustment in awhile -
it seems to work much better than adderall, but right now is much more expensive.

regarding military service, well number one I have to say:
DON'T FUCKING DO IT MY GOD WTF ?!?!!
however, an adult with properly managed/medicated ADHD
and even some degrees of OCD/ICD are actually better
workers/students etc. than "normal" folks - and the
militaries are aware of that these days - I don't think
it's a bar to service, in fact, it might be a benefit ...

and PS, I know something about the ADD/ADHD stuff from dealing with my kids -
and, oh yes, I've sampled their meds ....
ImageImage

nampigai

Post by nampigai »

Sandwurm88 wrote:Yo, I take that Ritalin shit don't make fun.
said the guy making fun with gingers?

if you can make fun of others, you damn better be ready to take a few hits yourself.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

SandRider wrote: and, oh yes, I've sampled their meds ....
You took meds prescribed to your kids?

Shame on you if so!

Unless I misunderstood "sampled" but then again, who am I to judge? I don't have kids of my own so(And if Mother Nature has anything to say about it I shouldn't get kids either!)

Anyway I know of how great ritalin can be, which is why I'm pondering making a sausage-vest and going in to my psych-clinic and demanding they give it to me, otherwise I will blow myself up.
reverendmotherQ.

lotek wrote:
reverendmotherQ. wrote:I am legally doped up on adderall and its all fun for being functionable till you look into to going into the Navy and find they don't appreciate drug dependents.

i wouldn't be so sure :)
Pilots from the Air Force 183rd Fighter Wing felt the reverberations of Marshall's assessment -- which is cited on page 3 of the Navy's official guide for managing fatigue -- last April. According to reports published in Canada, they misidentified a target during a bombing run over Iraq. Meeting with their commanders, they complained they were exhausted, that the "common-sense" rule of 12 hours of rest between missions was being ignored.

Read More http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/new ... z0hsVC0Fb5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The need for speed, Demitry added "is a life-and-death issue for our military."

Read More http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/new ... z0hsVcwETn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GODS DAMMIT :facepalm: son of bitch.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Xenu wrote:
SandRider wrote: and, oh yes, I've sampled their meds ....
You took meds prescribed to your kids?
Crush em down and snort them up.

Na, but really. Knowing Sandy as well as I do, I'm sure he was ensuring that the Meds weren't cheep Mexican counterfeits.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I've taken meds prescribed to dead people.
ImageImage

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Nononononono way is a Doctor going to proscribe a caver Meds, even MDs ain't that stupid.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

:roll:

I gotta lotta old buddies,
they die all the time ....

why leave all that stuff in the medicine cabinet before you call the coroner ?
ImageImage