Greetings!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Leto Atreides II

Greetings!

Post by Leto Atreides II »

Howdy folks, I just wandered on over here from the dunenovels.com site. I gather there's some :cat fight: between the two sites?

Well, I'll try not to contribute to any vendetta! I'm mostly just exploring the world of Frank Herbert fans!
Only fools prefer the past!
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Greetings!

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome to Jacurutu, I've been enjoying your discussion with Freakzilla (Allizkaerf) over on DN. We have a discussion going about it right now as a matter of fact.

It's a long story as to us vs the HLP, I wouldn't worry about it. We tried to argue in the defense of the original works versus the new junk and were banned for our troubles (many of us such as myself jumped ship voluntarily though).

Hope you enjoy it here, this is where ALL the real in depth Dune discussion takes place. The only reason there is anything deeper than "could Paul beat Yoda in a fight?" over on DN right now is because Byron has allowed Freak to start posting there again recently. (Freak is the founder of this site and was banned from DN, but instead of publicly banning him Byron just changed his password so that he couldn't get in, but none of the other members would realize that DN's #1 poster was gone).
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Hi.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Leto Atreides II

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Welcome to Jacurutu, I've been enjoying your discussion with Freakzilla (Allizkaerf) over on DN. We have a discussion going about it right now as a matter of fact.

It's a long story as to us vs the HLP, I wouldn't worry about it. We tried to argue in the defense of the original works versus the new junk and were banned for our troubles (many of us such as myself jumped ship voluntarily though).

Hope you enjoy it here, this is where ALL the real in depth Dune discussion takes place. The only reason there is anything deeper than "could Paul beat Yoda in a fight?" over on DN right now is because Byron has allowed Freak to start posting there again recently. (Freak is the founder of this site and was banned from DN, but instead of publicly banning him Byron just changed his password so that he couldn't get in, but none of the other members would realize that DN's #1 poster was gone).
Wow, what have I gone and involved myself in, lol?

This forum looks like the place for me - but the other forum is the logical place to seek contact with the estate of the Herberts.

I have actually started writing a Dune novel - but is publication possible? Or does the fact that I employ characters from Frank's series put me in a position of copyright infringement? I may need to seek the blessings and permission of Brian.

Yet, how can I even suggest that the sequels and prequels need to be rewritten without automatically putting him down thereby?

Any other writers of 'fan-fiction', as it were, here?
Last edited by Leto Atreides II on 02 Feb 2010 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome! :orcs-buttshake:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Leto Atreides II

Lol, Tleszer... the links in your sig answer my last question! :D

A Thing of Eternity, Chanilover, and Tleszer, thank you for your welcomes!
A Thing of Eternity

Leto Atreides II wrote: I have actually started writing a Dune novel - but is publication possible? Or does the fact that I employ characters from Frank's series put me in a position of copyright infringement? I may need to seek the blessings and permission of Brian.
Actually, sadly enough you do need to be careful with the HLP. Not that they could go after you for making fan fiction (to my knowledge anyways), but they certainly wouldn't help you without big $$$ being promised, and KJA would never allow someone to edge in on his territory and... maybe do better than him? Not a chance he'd allow that!

A group of young film makers in Europe (Spain I believe) spent years and years making a fan-film of Dune. They never intended to publish it or make any money, it was simply something they were doing out of their love for film and Dune, they were going to just give it away, never make a dime.

The second that they showed a preview of the film (in spanish) the HLP sent them enough threats via lawyers that if they even ever showed someone an image from the film they would be sued to hell. They had to abandon years of work, and somehow even managed to actually remove all traces of their project from the internet. It is a very sad thing to have happened, for no real reason at all.

Simon who posts somewhat regularly over at DN is working on a comicbook rendition of Dune though, and he hasn't had any problems with the HLP so far, they've been very kind to him. That may all go to hell if the new movie does well and a they decide to do another Comic book rendition of the movie, like they did with Lynch's, or if KJA decides a comic book is a good idea anyways. Then Simon is likely going to get visits from the same lawyers.
Leto Atreides II wrote: Yet, how can I even suggest that the sequels and prequels need to be rewritten without automatically putting him down thereby?
What are you working on?

A few people her write joke fan fic I believe, and lots of us have talked about trying to do our own versions of the BJ or Dune 7, but no one has done much as far as I know.

There are some pretty neat Dune fan novels on the net though, I think someone can probably provide you with links. I've only had a chance to read little biits so far, but some of it is pretty decent.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Leto Atreides II wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Welcome to Jacurutu, I've been enjoying your discussion with Freakzilla (Allizkaerf) over on DN. We have a discussion going about it right now as a matter of fact.

Wow, what have I gone and involved myself in, lol?

This forum looks like the place for me - but the other forum is the logical place to seek contact with the estate of the Herberts.

I have actually started writing a Dune novel - but is publication possible? Or does the fact that I employ characters from Frank's series put me in a position of copyright infringement? I may need to seek the blessings and permission of Brian.

Yet, how can I even suggest that the sequels and prequels need to be rewritten without automatically putting him down thereby?

Yeah, I have written a few pieces. There was a worm story triloy where I tried to imagine how Leto's eternal dream would have felt, and Trannies of Dune which was going to be a trilogy but I ran out of ideas LOL.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)

If you're considering publication then change the names of the characters and planets before you get too attached - the best the Herbert's will offer you is unofficially sanctioned, then chances are you'll end up with no work and no rights as soon as KJA decides to move in on your territory (looking at Simon's comic).
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Leto Atreides II

A Thing of Eternity wrote: What are you working on?
A Book Seven, in fact; a sequel to Chapterhouse: Dune. And I have just this very day learned of plans for a seventh book, and an alleged outline for such a book left behind by Frank himself.

Mine picks up with Duncan, Sheeana, and Scytale on a no-ship in uncharted space. I'm planning to introduce Ixian machines similar to Fred Saberhagen's 'Berserkers', among other things. Of course it goes without saying that mankind is too far-flung for the machines to thoroughly uproot... doesn't mean it won't get dicey for those the machines do get a hold of, though.

If I did well with this book, I was planning to tackle prequels next. Because that is where BH and KJA's work really grates... with their 'machines' which act far too human, their psychokinetic women (which just seems so utterly out of place to me!), their reverse-engineering of language... "Tleilax" might degrade to "Tlalax", but it's not likely that "Tlalax" would change into "Tleilax".

So many little details that aggravated me!

Ah crap, this post is gonna get me banned on dunenovels.com, isn't it? :(
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Leto Atreides II wrote:Ah crap, this post is gonna get me banned on dunenovels.com, isn't it? :dance:
Fix'd.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Leto Atreides II

DuneFishUK wrote:
Leto Atreides II wrote:Ah crap, this post is gonna get me banned on dunenovels.com, isn't it? :dance:
Fix'd.
No... I really am hoping to last over there a while at least... I'm not the "Ban me! Ban me!" sort...
A Thing of Eternity

Leto Atreides II wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote: What are you working on?
A Book Seven, in fact; a sequel to Chapterhouse: Dune. And I have just this very day learned of plans for a seventh book, and an alleged outline for such a book left behind by Frank himself.

Mine picks up with Duncan, Sheeana, and Scytale on a no-ship in uncharted space. I'm planning to introduce Ixian machines similar to Fred Saberhagen's 'Berserkers', among other things. Of course it goes without saying that mankind is too far-flung for the machines to thoroughly uproot... doesn't mean it won't get dicey for those the machines do get a hold of, though.

If I did well with this book, I was planning to tackle prequels next. Because that is where BH and KJA's work really grates... with their 'machines' which act far too human, their psychokinetic women (which just seems so utterly out of place to me!), their reverse-engineering of language... "Tleilax" might degrade to "Tlalax", but it's not likely that "Tlalax" would change into "Tleilax".

So many little details that aggravated me!

Ah crap, this post is gonna get me banned on dunenovels.com, isn't it? :(
Most people have to do a lot worse to get banned, though one guy, Lisan Al Gaib was banned for something he said here, and it wasn't any more offensive than what you just posted really!

So you're saying that you've read KJABH's prequels, but not their "Dune 7" comprised of Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune?

Consdier yourself lucky, because Sandworms will make you temporarily want to kill youself. Nothing like it has ever been written...
Leto Atreides II

A Thing of Eternity wrote: Most people have to do a lot worse to get banned, though one guy, Lisan Al Gaib was banned for something he said here, and it wasn't any more offensive than what you just posted really!

So you're saying that you've read KJABH's prequels, but not their "Dune 7" comprised of Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune?

Consdier yourself lucky, because Sandworms will make you temporarily want to kill youself. Nothing like it has ever been written...
I've only read a few of BH/KJA's books... and it's been a while. If I recall... I read the Butlerian Jihad, started reading the Machine Crusade - don't recall if I finished that one or gave up in disgust. I may have peeked at one or two other books as well, but don't recall for certain.

What shall I compare their writing to? A panoply of poor authors comes to mind - Clifford D. Simak, Ron Goulart (whose works for Gods know what perverted reason I enjoyed reading in spite of their being obvious crap), Robert Jordan, L. Sprague de Kamp...

Wow, I better stop while I'm ahead. I swear I am NOT trying to get myself banned over there, I just have a hard time being diplomatic instead of speaking from the heart.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Paul would totally kick Yoda's little green ass, are you kidding me ?

I don't care what kinda so-called "Force" move Yoda could come up with,
Paul would have already seen it coming and been reacting while Yoda was
still screwing up his little wrinkled face and wiggling his ears

now, I'll give you this - the CGI Yoda from the prequels would have a much
better chance; it's hard to slip a lightsabre inside a body-shield with Frank
Oz's hand up your ass ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Leto Atreides II

SandRider wrote:Paul would totally kick Yoda's little green ass, are you kidding me ?

I don't care what kinda so-called "Force" move Yoda could come up with,
Paul would have already seen it coming and been reacting while Yoda was
still screwing up his little wrinkled face and wiggling his ears

now, I'll give you this - the CGI Yoda from the prequels would have a much
better chance; it's hard to slip a lightsabre inside a body-shield with Frank
Oz's hand up your ass ...
Errr... are you the delegate from dunenovels.com?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'm Bryon Merritt.

Freak banned my SpiceGrandson account during the last round of unpleasantness ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Leto Atreides II

SandRider wrote:I'm Bryon Merritt.

Freak banned my SpiceGrandson account during the last round of unpleasantness ....
I can't tell if you're joking or not. :think:
A Thing of Eternity

:lol: We'll leave you wondering about that for now then! It'll all become clear as you meander through these forums.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Leto Atreides II wrote:
SandRider wrote:I'm Bryon Merritt.

I can't tell if you're joking or not. :think:
Maybe he did and maybe he didn't?

and welcome twice welcome to sietch Jacurutu, home of the Orthodox Herbertarians :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome, and come let us know you better man.

Have fun and remember, these guys and gals are a fount of knowledge when it comes to Dune....and several other things as well.

I hope you will enjoy yourself here. I know I do.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome to our humble sietch, Leto. I'm glad you decided to join.

These guys are OK, just don't make any sudden movements and keep your hands and feet away from their mouths.

:wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Leto Atreides II wrote:but the other forum is the logical place to seek contact with the estate of the Herberts.
FUCK those NO TALENT ancestor-fucking parasites. And their little hired HACK Anderson, too.
I may need to seek the blessings and permission of Brian.
Only nominally. It's KJA that controls things over there, from all accounts.

All HIS accounts, that is.

Ugh.

Oh ... Achlan wasachlan! Welcome and Doubly Welcome. :)

(Yes, I ripped the page with "diplomatic" on it out of all my dictionaries and wiped my ass with them and mailed them to Seattle.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Sandchigger has a seemingly endless supply of venom, it always makes me smile.

:D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

Freakzilla wrote:Sandchigger has a seemingly endless supply of venom, it always makes me smile.

:D
having read some of the other threads of this forum, SandChigger isn't the only one with venom enough to spare ^^

@Leto Atreides II - welcome mate!
Last edited by nampigai on 03 Feb 2010 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants