House Ordos

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Simon wrote:I admire his ability to actually write, as I suck at sustained bodies of written work, my writing is definitely "stream of consciousness" on a good day and plain rambling on the bad ones :lol:
Which explains why you are such a prequelite :P :D
Simon

Post by Simon »

::does little jig:: Krish-na-harri-krishna.. ::rattles moroccos::
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Simon wrote:::does little jig:: Krish-na-harri-krishna.. ::rattles moroccos::
Don't you mean...

::does little jig on the couch::Sci-enn-tolo-gistss::rattles everyone's nerves
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I definitely think the Scientology angle was prematurely hot-potatoed. :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
The Sons of Idaho

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

What is House Ordos??
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A made up minor house from the Dune Encyclopedia that made its way into one of the Dune computer games. I think in the game they were aliens, but Im not sure. I never played it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tleilax Master B

Omphalos wrote:A made up minor house from the Dune Encyclopedia that made its way into one of the Dune computer games. I think in the game they were aliens, but Im not sure. I never played it.
they were funky in the old game. Their units would shoot you with this gas shit that would temporarily turn you to one of them. so for a period of time, they could use your own guys to attack you then, if they survived, they would switch back. It was kinda dumb really......
orald

Post by orald »

Oh, I'm just trying to d/l Emperor: Battle for Dune now! :D

AFAIK, house Ordos, at least in this latest installment, were the "wierd" side, having all the "fun" tech...though sometimes all you want is a bloody simple tank if you ask me.

I never knew it was from the DE(as I haven't bothered to read it), I thought Westwood made them up on their own to have another side besides Harkonnen and Atreides.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Tleilax Master B

orald wrote:Oh, I'm just trying to d/l Emperor: Battle for Dune now! :D

AFAIK, house Ordos, at least in this latest installment, were the "wierd" side, having all the "fun" tech...though sometimes all you want is a bloody simple tank if you ask me.

I never knew it was from the DE(as I haven't bothered to read it), I thought Westwood made them up on their own to have another side besides Harkonnen and Atreides.
There is actually very little about them in the DE--which is probably why the game chose to include them. It mentions that they have 7 votes in the Landsraad--which is actually a lot according to the DE chart, 10 was the most you could have and that included Atreides and Corrino--and there is also an image of one of their House insignia which is described as:
House Ordos: Or two bones
white per saltire, in dexter chief
entwined with ivy vert
Other than that, I don't think they are even mentioned anywhere else in the DE.
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Looking back, I wish I had finished my House Ordos fan fiction. But since I lost my myspace account and internet connection issues where I live, I gave up on the fan fiction.

I originally wrote it because I thought that since people bothered to use them in a computer game, somebody should have them written into litertature other than a vague reference in the Dune Encyclopedia. I could not find anything so I wrote something myself. Because somebody's got to do it.

It's still available to read on the Dunenovels forum on the fan fiction thread.

Anyway I still wait for more fan fiction on House Ordos to show up on the Internet.

Speaking of fan fiction, remember some great gems like Dune Revenant and of course for fans of parodies and satire: Trannies of Dune. I even considered printing four of them out and putting them on my bookshelf along with Frank Herbert's novels and the new Dune novels that I read.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nebiros wrote:Because somebody's got to do it.
WRONG.

That's the same sort of idiocy—whether you realize it or not—that is bringing the world these new shit "Heroes of Dune" books.

NO, every "gap" does not need to be filled. EVERY detail does not need to be spelled out.

Your House Ordos fanfic may have made some sense in terms of the computer game, but it made little sense in the greater context of Frank Herbert's Duniverse.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Nebiros wrote:Looking back, I wish I had finished my House Ordos fan fiction. But since I lost my myspace account and internet connection issues where I live, I gave up on the fan fiction.

I originally wrote it because I thought that since people bothered to use them in a computer game, somebody should have them written into litertature other than a vague reference in the Dune Encyclopedia. I could not find anything so I wrote something myself. Because somebody's got to do it.

It's still available to read on the Dunenovels forum on the fan fiction thread.

Anyway I still wait for more fan fiction on House Ordos to show up on the Internet.

Speaking of fan fiction, remember some great gems like Dune Revenant and of course for fans of parodies and satire: Trannies of Dune. I even considered printing four of them out and putting them on my bookshelf along with Frank Herbert's novels and the new Dune novels that I read.
That's very commendable that you've taken all of this upon yourself.
MrFlibble

Re:

Post by MrFlibble »

orald wrote:I never knew it was from the DE(as I haven't bothered to read it), I thought Westwood made them up on their own to have another side besides Harkonnen and Atreides.
For everyone interested in this question:
The Origins of House Ordos Revealed
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: House Ordos

Post by SandChigger »

Thanks for the link! :)

I wonder where it came from in the DE.... ???
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I guess the author of that article decided to throw in a few cool-sounding names from Old Terra :D It might have been that it was intended to be an alter ego of China (comparable to House Washington and House Steel), but that's just a guess :)
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Lionel Horsepackage

Post by Lionel Horsepackage »

I've long held the Dune Encyclopedia to be canonical on a personal level (or, at least, far more canonical than the KJA/BH prequel novels), so I've never really had any problem with House Ordos existing in the greater Dune universe as a counterpart to the Atreides and Harkonnens.

When I first played the PC game and saw them in it as a playable Landsraad house, I just about crapped myself.
Last edited by Lionel Horsepackage on 10 May 2010 21:24, edited 2 times in total.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome, please introduce yourself here: Introduce Yourself!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Horse ... package? :shock:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Lionel Horsepackage

Post by Lionel Horsepackage »

Freakzilla wrote:Welcome, please introduce yourself here: Introduce Yourself!
Will do. :)

TheDukester wrote:Horse ... package? :shock:
Heh. I get that a lot.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Braggart. :roll:

:lol: