New Dune Movie

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Hunchback Jack

Re: New Dune Movie

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think this is more or less a positive spin on "back to square one". Not that I know anything about the movie business, mind.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
boardadmin wrote:This last week saw a TON of activity surrounding the next filming of DUNE. One production company is jockeying for exclusive rights to make Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune into films (filming them ala Peter Jackson and LOTR). Hold onto your hats! This is gonna be exciting!
http://forum.dunenovels.com/viewtopic.php?p=73680#73680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Translation: We're about to get paid for another option. Hope KJA and the Zombie don't scare them away again with stupid ideas, but if they do, at least this option will be a short one, and we can sell the bitch again! Yipee! We won the ovarian lottery!!!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Three films for three books... how about two films for one book. If they're that confident about the franchise that they can get the funds to shoot 3 films back to back, why not spend an extra film on the first book? Dune as a single film will fail (or be Dune-in-name-only) for all the reasons the same reasons as 1984.
Hold onto your hats!
:o
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I don't know why but I think i'd like to see Dune on stage from a fremen point of view. You wouldn't even need to see the main characters, (much) just the fremen living their lives as the story progresses. A fifty foot worm would be cool, no doubt, but I don't see why you couldn't do the whole thing in sietch if you wanted to. There's opportunity here to have some great characters and wonderful comments on the meanings in Dune. If it's fleshed out properly, you could have something great here.

The scene that keeps coming to me is when Shaddams advance troops capture Alia.

Do you have a working title?
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

D Pope wrote:I don't know why but I think i'd like to see Dune on stage from a fremen point of view. You wouldn't even need to see the main characters, (much) just the fremen living their lives as the story progresses. A fifty foot worm would be cool, no doubt, but I don't see why you couldn't do the whole thing in sietch if you wanted to. There's opportunity here to have some great characters and wonderful comments on the meanings in Dune. If it's fleshed out properly, you could have something great here.
Great minds think alike! (I think?)
DUNE: Of Kangaroo Mice and Fremen
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:It's no news most likely. This thing seems determined to avoid ever actually happening.

Wait and see I guess.
60 to 90 days probably. The HLP isn't interested in anything that might be good for the franchise, just what's good for them and will give them producer credits.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Sihaya wrote:Now, this is not related to the movie, but I've had this idea rattling around in my head for a while. Myself and my friend have been trying to figure this one out together. I'd love some feedback on the idea.
I think the idea deserves its own thread.
That being said, take your inspiration for fremen dialog from Hawats conversation with a fremen before his capture after the Battle at Arrakeen.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Sihaya

Post by Sihaya »

D Pope wrote:
The Legend of Muad'Dib
Tell me of the waters of thy birthworld, Usul.

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

poor Byron - I wonder if one of the clerks in the law firm slipped him that bit from some
papers she saw on her bosses desk which may or may have any real significance, or if he
just made it up whole-cloth hoping it would get spread around the net faster than that story
about the questions being raised about Brian's actual rights to the Estate ...

the idea of making films about all three books is a great idea, but it is certainly going nowhere -
they couldn't get the first film off the ground ... here, you have to either be talking about,
like, ten or twelve films (and who the fuck is going to green-light that kinda stupid shit) or
three films that will have little resemblance to Dune except for the titles and character names ?

and if you're going to do that, shit, go ahead and start with House Atreides, and leave us the fuck
alone for awhile ....

it has to be irritating to Byron to be so far out of the loop, and yet be "responsible" for the
Official Corporate Dune forum ... atleast he can take solace in the fact that no one takes his
forum seriously, or actually looks to it for real information on the latest developments on the
franchise-marketing front ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Useless Fucktard wrote:This last week saw a TON of activity surrounding the next filming of DUNE. One production company is jockeying for exclusive rights to make Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune into films (filming them ala Peter Jackson and LOTR). Hold onto your hats! This is gonna be exciting!
"I know nothing! I'm just talking right out of my sphincter! I get my Dune movie news from the internet! Usually a few days late, since I'm a complete dumbass!"
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Dravition

Post by Dravition »

My dream-cast choice of either Jessica or Chani is Lola Glaudini... :wink:
I've been watching a lot of "Criminal Minds", and she gives me wet dreams :dance:

http://img.poptower.com/pic-26538/lola- ... .jpg?d=600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.alexandermagazine.com/family ... audini.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leto smiled. "Duncan, have I not told you that when you think you know something, that is a most perfect barrier against learning?"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:text-worthless:
Dravition wrote:My dream-cast choice of either Jessica or Chani is Lola Glaudini... :wink:
I've been watching a lot of "Criminal Minds", and she gives me wet dreams :dance:

http://img.poptower.com/pic-26538/lola- ... .jpg?d=600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.alexandermagazine.com/family ... audini.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:text-worthless:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

I wonder if they will they use "running gags" like making Paul and Feyd older than in the book and making Harkonnen clan bunch of crazy gingers again?
Last edited by Crizius on 22 Jan 2020 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Remember the alamo!
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

I also hope that the director won't film the movie in a room like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWPo64BN ... en%20scene ... Just look at all these green walls and screens. Truly a movie ahead of its time...
Good cinematography with large shots is really underrated. Closeups, on the other hand, are overrated.
Last edited by Crizius on 22 Jan 2020 14:41, edited 2 times in total.
Remember the alamo!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Crizius wrote:I also hope they (director(S)) wont film the movie(S) in room in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWPo64BN ... en%20scene ... Just look at all these green wall's, movie ahead of it's time...
Do you think there is a real chance of that?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I believe everything he posts, it a wisdom suppository, clearly awesome.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

inhuien wrote:a wisdom suppository
My gawd... I think you're onto something there! :shock:

Or just on something there. :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Colon knowin'. :clap:
~Pink Snowman
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

Last edited by Crizius on 21 Jan 2020 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Remember the alamo!
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:
inhuien wrote:a wisdom suppository
My gawd... I think you're onto something there! :shock:

Or just on something there. :lol:
a wisdom the likes of which gaawd has never seen
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

In TECHNICOLOR™!!! :angry-screaming:
leagued

Post by leagued »

The new Paul Atreides: He's scrawny and he can play young; that should satisfy the people that hated the previous renditions for being too old and heavily built.
Also, he could play Chani to save money on casting.
LeagueD
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Surely you jest.

* EDIT
Leagued wrote:Also, he could play Chani to save money on casting
Missed this ...
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

What news if any on this crap? Are they still trying, or have they given up?

(I saw the thread where someone mentioned an HBO production. I finally broke down and watched GoT without having read any of the books and am A BIG FAN. Seems a legit idea to me.)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote::lol:

What news if any on this crap? Are they still trying, or have they given up?

(I saw the thread where someone mentioned an HBO production. I finally broke down and watched GoT without having read any of the books and am A BIG FAN. Seems a legit idea to me.)
M sure they still have them sugaplum dreams about the cash they would rake in.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!