New Dune Movie

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

TheDukester

Re: New Dune Movie

Post by TheDukester »

Meh. Jock is a pretty fucking stout artist, so this is veering dangerously close to most of you guys talking right out of your assholes. Given a decent brief, he could have kicked all kinds of ass on Dune concept art. He's also a pretty decent guy (or chap, I guess, seeing as he's one of them UK types).

That being said, I'm not sure it really matters that much. I'm no longer convinced there will ever be a new Dune movie (and it makes me laugh to think that this attempt used to be referred to as "Dune 2010"). Just about every single person involved, starting right at the top with the HLP and Spanky McDune, has turned out to be a complete idiot, so my optimism is at an all-time low. It seems like these guys think they can just will a finished film to appear or something.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

TheDukester wrote:Meh. Jock is a pretty fucking stout artist, so this is veering dangerously close to most of you guys talking right out of your assholes. Given a decent brief, he could have kicked all kinds of ass on Dune concept art. He's also a pretty decent guy (or chap, I guess, seeing as he's one of them UK types).
I agree with you. I was at first unsure about a comic artist doing concept art, but he had some pretty good concepts and probably would have been the one good thing about Berg's adaptation. I can also see where DuneFishUk is coming from as far as Caladan. Really, if they were to have Caladan be orchards and fields it'd come off really rustic and medieval and above all Earth-like. An ocean-world seems more alien and suits visual shorthand necessary for a science-fiction film.

I also like Paul with a shaved head, though how would it work in practice? Would he come off as a cult leader guiding the Fremen to the "end of times" or more like Christian Bale in Terminator Salvation? (Of course, I'm sure there were other concepts where he did have hair)
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

I will say I dug both his sandworms and his Paul. Doing something different with Sandworms is a feat, as there is only so much deviation before they're not worms anymore.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I like the suggested shark musculature in the Worm pics.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

oh, hell no ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

One for you, one for me, and one for the tapeworm.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

SandRider wrote:Image

oh, hell no ...
Um....so, sandworm meets xenomorph? Fuck that.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

I could *maybe* see Edward James Olmos as the Old Duke. Not as Duke Leto.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandRider wrote: [image]
oh, hell no ...
I see you agree...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

SadisticCynic wrote:
oh, hell no ...
I see you agree...
I find it an interesting concept only due to Giger's role in the Jodorowsky and Lynch versions. When I get to interviewing Jock I'll ask if that's what he had in mind, a callback to Giger and the unreleased film. Otherwise it's just dumb.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Unless it's all perspective and there's actually 2 Worms pictured. Na, I'm not convinced either.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Redstar wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:
oh, hell no ...
I see you agree...
I find it an interesting concept only due to Giger's role in the Jodorowsky and Lynch versions. When I get to interviewing Jock I'll ask if that's what he had in mind, a callback to Giger and the unreleased film. Otherwise it's just dumb.

that might be a long shot for rationalization, a subtle homage to H.R. ....

the rest of the stuff is fine, for what it is, pre-production concept art ...
I'm just going to be leery and extremely critical of anything not
100% Orthodox Herbertarian (term here meant literally) in the "New Movie" ...

I can give the stuff in the Lynch84 a pass because Frank was alive and right there,
and gave Lynch a lot of slack; as he said himself, he thought the movie was un-filmable
and failed at writing a screenplay based on his own book, so ...

but Frank's dead, and I ain't, I think we've all seen what happens when "SciFi" "writers"
try to "add" things to Frank's Dune ... as far as a movie goes, Frank wrote some pretty
clear shit right there, they've got the book in front of them (I'm assuming), just do the
story the way Frank wrote it ... if you can't fit in everything, don't .... let's not try to
make the story "more understandable to the general public" ... unless they go ahead
and title it McDune: The Live-Action Comic Book ...

anyway, @Redstar, I'd like you to ask Jock about this then, how much of a sense did
he get that the people he was involved with on this project were planning to "tweak
things just a little" ....

and also, I'd imagine the HLP lawyers will be on his ass eventually, one way or another ...
I downloaded the 12 images, get him to dump all the others somewhere where we can
pick them up and post them here or @T(A)U for archive purposes ... it could be a part of
big series, "concept art of aborted Dune films, 1970-2025" ...
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, anyone interested in having those needs to start right-clicking soon-ish. As soon as someone at the HLP actually wakes up (unlikely), Kevin J. SphincterFace decides to get all bitchy (more likely), or one of Spanky's spies crawls out of his colon long enough to blow the whistle (most likely), those bad boys will be coming down.

Jock might be a lot of things, but he's definitely not going to fight The Man over a bunch of concept art.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Don't forget, some of what Jock has produced is based on discussion about possibilities. It is CONCEPT art after all.

Jock is one of the good guys, he is a professional in all regards.

Rob
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Robspierre wrote:Don't forget, some of what Jock has produced is based on discussion about possibilities. It is CONCEPT art after all.

Jock is one of the good guys, he is a professional in all regards.

Rob
Yeah that - the job of concept art is to push an idea as far as possible. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

FAIL.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Sorry, where are these all posted? I'm missing something...

EDIT: NEVERMIND
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

SandChigger wrote:FAIL.
fail on all, or just the worms-within-worms ?
ImageImage

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Perhaps that particular one is a fail within a fail, so to speak.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I find the mutant worms to be FAILs, period.

I also don't think Caladan has to be transformed into "SeaWorld" to get the contrast between it and Arrakis across. If that's what "translating into the language of film" amounts to, shit, bring back Lynch's weirding modules. :roll:

FAIL.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

SandChigger wrote:I also don't think Caladan has to be transformed into "SeaWorld" to get the contrast between it and Arrakis across. If that's what "translating into the language of film" amounts to, shit, bring back Lynch's weirding modules. :roll:

FAIL.
Yarp - like I said, it's a lazy trap. “Orchards” and “green farmlands” FTW Dune is about planting stuff.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

It's probably a narrow viewpoint but I always thought of Caladan looking a lot like the northrn half of South America.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, did anyone notice that the Official HLP mouthpuss had posted this?
On Tue Oct 12, 2010, at 1:33 pm boredadmin wrote:The movie is still moving forward. Just have to be patient. Heard good news this weekend. Can't give any details. Mum's the word.
Poor Spunkgrandspoon. Doesn't know shit, hasn't got a clue. :cry:

http://forum.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/view ... hp?p=72695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, he "heard" something like "The entire project is not yet officially cancelled."

It's difficult to imagine someone who will be more out of the loop on this subject than Byron P. Ban-hammer. He'll be getting his "details" from other websites, then forgetting to post them for six days.