New Dune Movie

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

No one uses tent-pole that I know of. Hmmm I say that we Orthodox Dune fans write a screenplay and submit it, what the hell, you never know.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Right.

Like Kevin isn't going to submit the one chosen under a pseudonym. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

I thought Lucas already had a fan-made screenplay ready. :P
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:We had a small do tonight for three profs retiring this month; I asked my Texan friend if he knew what a tentpole film was. He didn't.

DOES NO ONE USE THIS TERM?!

I think Kevin should shave his beard (I mean the real one, not Becca...although now that I think about it...) and play Jessica. :D
Seriously, someone over on Worm's mentioned a day or two ago that a "tentpole" film is a summer blockbuster that spawns sequels. I have no idea what the etymology of the word is, though if I use my imagination I think it may mean that it is the center of a large tent, underwhich many other items such as sequels, TV shows, Burger King cups and toys fall. I also think its a relatively new term, as the only other movie I have ever seen it applied to is the upcoming Star Trek release. Why dont you search in Variety, or Aint-It-Cool-News, or something like that, or track that person down at Worm's and ask them? Whomever it was seemed confident in their knowledge.

EDIT: Ah, I just checked and it was our very own Mandy. She seems to know.
Last edited by Omphalos on 19 Mar 2008 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Tent pole productions is a term mostly used in television rather than film. The concept is that the popular flagship program allows lesser known programs that immediately follow up the prime time slot to better gain veiwers. This way the popularity of the flagship program supports the rest of the smaller programs that are slotted to follow right behind its broadcast.

The increase in franchising and branding in big budget entertainment has encouraged some to adopt (somewhat erroneously) the term "tentpole" in an effort to distinguish the way new film franchises are constructed. A big successful film, like say X-Men for example, is only the first link in a long-term franchise conceptualization designed for continued franchise product, whether that be more films or other media tie-ins such as television, video games and so forth.

Some perceptive fans who read about the current entertainment industries will often hear about these currently dominating business models in an indirect manner from writers, directors and other creative individuals in the form of artistic lamentations. Because the business side of the entertainment industry is strongly motivated to build tentpole entertainment, production companies are less and less interested in new or creatively innovative entertainment. The goal is cultivating (read: profiting from) existing franchise demand among the consumer markets, building profitable productions upon previously existing and easily recognizable properties. The explosion of the "Super Hero film" and the numerous spin-offs are an obvious example of this currently embraced production practice. It's also why you see film studios ressurrecting film franchises that are less than a decade old (Batman) or remaking films that are barely a few years old (The Incredible Hulk) in an effort to aggressively find yet another large and extremely profitable tentpole franchise.
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:EDIT: Ah, I just checked and it was our very own Mandy. She seems to know.
Yea, she seems to know her way around poles. :wink:

Anyway, tentpole shmetpole, it's gonna suck soiled ass, as Omph likes to put it.

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:We had a small do tonight for three profs retiring this month; I asked my Texan friend if he knew what a tentpole film was. He didn't.

DOES NO ONE USE THIS TERM?!

I think Kevin should shave his beard (I mean the real one, not Becca...although now that I think about it...) and play Jessica. :D
Seriously, someone over on Worm's mentioned a day or two ago that a "tentpole" film is a summer blockbuster that spawns sequels.
Thank God, finally a way to brink KJA's world into FH's. The movies are going to blur the lines so much that they'll give audiences the impression that it's all the same story.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Nekhrun wrote: Thank God, finally a way to brink KJA's world into FH's. The movies are going to blur the lines so much that they'll give audiences the impression that it's all the same story.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
orald

Post by orald »

Wow, epic failure there...Makes me glad I haven't seen that movie yet. :shock:

Funnier though is this.

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

orald wrote:Wow, epic failure there...Makes me glad I haven't seen that movie yet. :shock:

Funnier though is this.
That was truly terrifying :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Simon

Post by Simon »

I always thought "tentpole" was a movie term. Like Spiderman 1,2,3 were tentpole pictures because if they flopped the company and people invested in it would be in trouble if the movie(s) failed at the box office....
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:A big successful film, like say X-Men for example, is only the first link in a long-term franchise conceptualization designed for continued franchise product, whether that be more films or other media tie-ins such as television, video games and so forth.
Ah. And the pre/se/inter-quels are ripe for adaptation, aren't they?

Lovely. Paramount will flood the media and related product markets with shit just as The Hacks Twain have flooded the book one.

Wow. Kevin really lucked into it, didn't he? :roll:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Luck had nothing to do with it. Somewhere in Hell a demon has his left testicle, and someday soon will have his soul.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ouch. :shock:

I bet that's gotta hurt like...well, Hell.

At least, I hope it does. :evil:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Omphalos wrote:Luck had nothing to do with it. Somewhere in Hell a demon has his left testicle, and someday soon will have his soul.
More likely it’s his insidious scientology connections. But you could have something there Omphalos, Hitler only had one ball aswell.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I almost feel a song coming on....
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Only almost :( go on, go for it :P :D
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Ah. And the pre/se/inter-quels are ripe for adaptation, aren't they?

Lovely. Paramount will flood the media and related product markets with shit just as The Hacks Twain have flooded the book one.

It's not so bad. There's every chance it'll bomb :wink:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Ah. And the pre/se/inter-quels are ripe for adaptation, aren't they?

It's not so bad. There's every chance it'll bomb :wink:
Like that ever stopped someone unworthy from profitting.

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

On a half related note, why hasn't any of FH's books been considered for a film adaptation yet? I'm sure the Pandora series would be quite easy to turn into movies, and it's choke-full of both environmentalism(albeit limited) and racial equality! Just the thing for your average modern-day wannabe sensitive liberal!*

*I prefer showing my true self, that's why I run over baby bunnies with a Humvee and shhot any neanthertals I find. 'Tis great fun ya'll! 8)

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

IIRC a few of them have been optioned, and for one, Soul Catcher, a script has even been written, and a reading was held last year or in 2006.

Here is a link where we discuss it.

Goodnight Golden Path!
orald

Post by orald »

A link to DN...err, I'll have to trust your word for it. :?

I want to see a TJI film version! I want to see the Scream Room! :D
Damn, I want to see Nerve Runners and Hooded Dashers! C'mon, Brian(or should I adress only KJA as the actual ego-holder of the creche? :roll: ), it'll be a smashing summer hit! You could call it Tremors 16.3: Pandora! :lol:

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah, I don't go to DN either. Can we get the executive summary? :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Script was written. A bunch of actors got together in street clothes and read it for an audience. Audience received it well. Byron chatted up the producer because they both have sets of twins. Nothing since.

Really guys, its just a web site. Its not gonna hurt. Click on the damn thing. :wink:

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:Really guys, its just a web site. Its not gonna hurt. Click on the damn thing. :wink:
Message boards are like girlfriends; once I dump them (or they dump me), I never go back :P