TBJ

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Mandy wrote:
Spicelon wrote:
BTW, I had two toofs removed today, so I am currently riding a Loritab high. It's pretty fucking awesome! It's the Phoop! Orald, you should try it. :P
I'm glad you got your teeth fixed. Lortabs are great, try taking 5 or 6 of them at once. :)
Or just two and a couple shots of whisky.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Oh, sure, y'all get drunk and high, I don't care, kill yourselves! I'll have this board all to myself then! :roll:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And what a fun time that will be then! :P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

Well, at least I'll be certain to always have intellegent company. :P

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

orald wrote:Well, at least I'll be certain to always have intellegent company. :P
Are you certain of that :P
orald

Post by orald »

Yes.

And I won't have to deal with 'em biddy-lil-eyed Canadians with their flapping heads so full of lies. :P

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

orald wrote:Yes.

And I won't have to deal with 'em biddy-lil-eyed Canadians with their flapping heads so full of lies. :P
I heard that. :x
orald

Post by orald »

Oh yea? What are you gonna do aboot it? :roll:

A Thing of Eternity

orald wrote:Oh yea? What are you gonna do aboot it? :roll:
Hey! That's the French Canadians you're insulting there.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

orald wrote:Oh, sure, y'all get drunk and high, I don't care, kill yourselves! I'll have this board all to myself then! :roll:

ppfffftttt.....like getting drunk and high kills you....its lack of moderation that kills you...i call it dumbass or stupid ..... if you die cause of any drugs or alcohol ever..you werent killed by the drug...but by dumbass
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

He had it all but was struck down in his prime...by dumbass! :D
Dom

Post by Dom »

I always thought The Butlerian Jihad was a philosophical revolution. A section of people became aware that the human race had become soft, utterly reliant on AIs for everything: AIs controlled by powerful corrupt people in a business-based corporate culture similar to our own. These dissidents stepped away from society, learning how to become human computers.

The word spread among the population, gaining adherents as they too took on the mental training that freed them, eventually creating a revolution where people turned their backs on the thinking machines, probably leading to violence where buildings housing the machines were stormed and destroyed. The men who controlled the machines fought back, fearing they would lose their power and business interests.

The collapse of old-style corporate culture led to the creation of the quasi-feudal society of Dune.

Not once did I imagine that it involved internet-gaming geeks in exo-skeletons, demented baby-killing robot torturers and a supercomputer (all the clichés Frank avoided!)
dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

I always pictured it as man and machine beating the crap out of each other. Didn't the un-edited Lynch film show something along those lines in black and white sketches at the beginning.
Long live the frightners!
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Dom wrote:I always thought The Butlerian Jihad was a philosophical revolution. A section of people became aware that the human race had become soft, utterly reliant on AIs for everything: AIs controlled by powerful corrupt people in a business-based corporate culture similar to our own. These dissidents stepped away from society, learning how to become human computers.

The word spread among the population, gaining adherents as they too took on the mental training that freed them, eventually creating a revolution where people turned their backs on the thinking machines, probably leading to violence where buildings housing the machines were stormed and destroyed. The men who controlled the machines fought back, fearing they would lose their power and business interests.

The collapse of old-style corporate culture led to the creation of the quasi-feudal society of Dune.

Not once did I imagine that it involved internet-gaming geeks in exo-skeletons, demented baby-killing robot torturers and a supercomputer (all the clichés Frank avoided!)
I agree.

Maybe had some battles between man and robots, but was robots programmed and controlled by mans, during the heat of revolution.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

orald

Post by orald »

Never heard of that...but didn't the Lynch version also show rain on Arrakis and sound-modules(sp?)?

Oh, and fake ginger-headed Harkonnens for all! :lol:

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

The Dune movie by Lynch is a "decent" movie in its own merit but is a far cry from being anything close to Dune canon.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
A Thing of Eternity

dm1215 wrote:I always pictured it as man and machine beating the crap out of each other. Didn't the un-edited Lynch film show something along those lines in black and white sketches at the beginning.
It also had sound lasers, Paul with the godlike ability to create rain, and phsychic bene gesserit.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Sometimes I've thought of that era being somewhat similar to what is depicted in Ghost and the Shell, but I also agree that, from my understanding of the books, humanity grew weak and too reliant on machines and AI and needed to strengthen themselves without the aid of machines.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

Tleszer wrote:Sometimes I've thought of that era being somewhat similar to what is depicted in Ghost and the Shell, but I also agree that, from my understanding of the books, humanity grew weak and too reliant on machines and AI and needed to strengthen themselves without the aid of machines.
I'm not backing any particular stance at the moment. I am still learning here, so I'm looking, listening and checking out what's being said and comparing it against what I've read. I understand both sides so far. Perhaps I'll eventually lean one way or the other as I learn. We will have to wait and see.
Long live the frightners!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

dm1215 wrote:I always pictured it as man and machine beating the crap out of each other. Didn't the un-edited Lynch film show something along those lines in black and white sketches at the beginning.
That version was in no way endorsed by Lynch his name is removed from the credits and "Alan Smithee" got the blame in his stead.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Paul with the godlike ability to create rain,
Yeah, wtf was that about?

Up until that point, I'd mostly liked the movie. Granted, there were some deviations from the books, and it was all a bit overwrought, but I liked the visual style a lot, and gave Lynch a break given how difficult it would be to make a Dune movie.

But when Paul looked up into the sky and made it rain, I immediately thought "Er, Mr. Lynch ... you do realize that Paul wasn't really a god, right?" I mean, that's a pretty important aspect of Dune right there.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tleszer wrote:Sometimes I've thought of that era being somewhat similar to what is depicted in Ghost and the Shell
But even that is too primitive IMO.

We're talking 11,000 years from now and a human(/machine?) space extending across at least 13,000+ planets.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:
Tleszer wrote:Sometimes I've thought of that era being somewhat similar to what is depicted in Ghost and the Shell
But even that is too primitive IMO.

We're talking 11,000 years from now and a human(/machine?) space extending across at least 13,000+ planets.
True it would be too primitive, but it would still be more believable than what KJA & BH provided in Legends.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh...D'UH! :shock:

No arguments there! :lol:
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Shit.. people whacking each other over the head with calculators is more believable than what P&tB created.