Happy Veteran's Day

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Idahopotato

Happy Veteran's Day

Post by Idahopotato »

I am not sure if this belongs here or in politics. I am sure someone will move it if it is in the wrong area.

So anyway, happy Veteran's day to all those that served and sacrificed so much.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Happy Veteran's Day

Post by Freakzilla »

I worked 'til midnight last night so I slept late (0730). Let 'em burn.

Happy Veteran's Day!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

And feel free to save a buck by grabbing a meal at Applebees

http://www.applebees.com/vetsDay/default.aspx
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Idahopotato wrote:And feel free to save a buck by grabbing a meal at Applebees

http://www.applebees.com/vetsDay/default.aspx
Valid Veteran and Active Duty Identification to Obtain Free Entree:
U.S. Uniform Services Identification Card
U.S. Uniform Services Retired Identification Card
Current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)
Veterans Organization Card (i.e., American Legion and VFW)
Photograph in uniform
Wearing uniform
DD214
Citation or Commendation
They should accept a Veteran's Driver License, too. The only one of those I have is the DD214 and it's at home. I have a coffee mug with the mug shot they take of you right after getting your head shaved in basic on it. Think that would work?

:P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

It is a picture right? How the hell you came away with that is beyond me. I think the DD214 is all I have as well. Good thing I have about 35 copies lying around the house. I don't quite trust uncle Sam not to lose it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Idahopotato wrote:It is a picture right?
Yep
How the hell you came away with that is beyond me.
My mom bought it on Parents Day at Ft. Knox. She later gave it to me.
I think the DD214 is all I have as well. Good thing I have about 35 copies lying around the house. I don't quite trust uncle Sam not to lose it.
I've got a few copies at home, I just won't feel like going back out once I get there... maybe.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That Fire Pit Bacon Burger is pretty fucking good.

I got a free $8 burger and fries and spent $20 on two Maker's Marks and a Heineken.

:P

BTW, you can't get it to go. :|
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

These Guys Served?! Who Knew?

You’d never know by looking at these four celebrities, but before they entered the limelight they all served in the U.S. military.

You’d never know by looking at these four celebrities, but before they entered the limelight they all served in the U.S. military. Most of the stars on the list are known for their music, trend-setting or contribution to society, but their service to the country has largely gone unnoticed. In honor of Veterans Day, Military.com takes a look at four veterans that most of America may have never knew served.

Tracy Lauren Marrow, a.k.a "Ice-T"

Before this gangster rapper-turned-actor had a successful career in the entertainment industry, he served his country in the U.S. Army. Ice-T, or Tracy Lauren Marrow, joined the Army in 1979 after graduating from Crenshaw High School. He spent four years as a Soldier and ETS’d in 1983 to pursue a music career. He released his first album, "Rhyme Pays," in 1987 and has had a string of hits and starred in several films since then. Most recently, he starred as a series regular on "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit."

Stanley Kirk Burrell, a.k.a. "MC Hammer"

Years before he donned the now infamous parachute "Hammer Pants," MC Hammer proudly sported a uniform for the U.S. Navy. The Oakland, Calif. native joined the Navy after a brief stint in a local college. He spent three years as an Aviation Storekeeper 3rd Class, and after his service was completed he pursued his career in music. Hammer went on to have mega-success as one of the most entertaining rappers and dancers in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Today, he resides in California’s Bay Area, and lives his life out of the public eye.

Former Vice President Al Gore

Al Gore, the former vice president, and one-time Democratic Party candidate for president of the U.S., enlisted in the Army in 1969, despite his opposition to the war. Seven months into his enlistment he was sent to fight the Vietnam War. He served with the 20th engineer Brigade in Bien Hoa and at the Army Engineer Command in Long Binh. Gore has retired from the politics, and has worked to tirelessly to stop global warming. Most recently, Al Gore has been in the news for his efforts to free Current TV journalists who were held captive in North Korea for several months.

Mel Brooks

The writer, director and star of comedies such as "Space Balls" and "Blazing Saddles" has kept audiences laughing for decades. However, before he became a comedic director, Brooks was a corporal in the U.S. Army. The graduate of the Virginia Military Institute served in World War II, fought in the Battle of the Bulge, and on occasion, defused landmines — a job that requires a good sense of humor. Today, Brooks is still acting and has had cameo or supporters rolls in films such as "Robots" and "The Producers."

http://www.military.com/veterans-day/th ... SRC=dod.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

I should have had that Burger. I had some chicken pasta dish that was barely edible. It mattered not though. The conversations, free beers, and closeness of being around veterans as well as feeling appreciated for the service one does for their country was well worth it. There must have been 200 people waiting to get in when I got there around 6 pm, and twice that when I left around 8. All told, my bill came out to $5 something. I left a $20 for the very overworked bartender. I think I shall be eating at Applebee's more often.

For celebrities, Al Gore was the only one whose service I was aware of. He was still VP and visited Haiti the same time I did a stint down there. My squad was charged with protecting him. I guess secret service is less equipped to handle security in foreign countries than they are in the US; although, there were a few of them with us as well.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Idahopotato wrote:I should have had that Burger. I had some chicken pasta dish that was barely edible. It mattered not though. The conversations, free beers, and closeness of being around veterans as well as feeling appreciated for the service one does for their country was well worth it. There must have been 200 people waiting to get in when I got there around 6 pm, and twice that when I left around 8. All told, my bill came out to $5 something. I left a $20 for the very overworked bartender. I think I shall be eating at Applebee's more often.
The one I went to was packed. I went by myself since I had worked late and the wife and kids had already eaten and were in their PJs. My waitress said she'd been there since noon and only had a break to pick up a prescription, I was afraid to ask what for.
For celebrities, Al Gore was the only one whose service I was aware of. He was still VP and visited Haiti the same time I did a stint down there. My squad was charged with protecting him. I guess secret service is less equipped to handle security in foreign countries than they are in the US; although, there were a few of them with us as well.
Quite an honor!
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Happy Be-lated Veterans' Day and/or Remembrance Day to all who served; past, present, or future.

:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-wavemulticolor: :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

This is one of the few poems I can remember from school, by Siegfried Sassoon, who served in the First World War.

To Any Dead Officer

Well, how are things in Heaven? I wish you’d say,
Because I’d like to know that you’re all right.
Tell me, have you found everlasting day,
Or been sucked in by everlasting night?
For when I shut my eyes your face shows plain;
I hear you make some cheery old remark—
I can rebuild you in my brain,
Though you’ve gone out patrolling in the dark.

You hated tours of trenches; you were proud
Of nothing more than having good years to spend;
Longed to get home and join the careless crowd
Of chaps who work in peace with Time for friend.
That’s all washed out now. You’re beyond the wire:
No earthly chance can send you crawling back;
You’ve finished with machine-gun fire—
Knocked over in a hopeless dud-attack.

Somehow I always thought you’d get done in,
Because you were so desperate keen to live:
You were all out to try and save your skin,
Well knowing how much the world had got to give.
You joked at shells and talked the usual ‘shop,’
Stuck to your dirty job and did it fine:
With ‘Jesus Christ! when will it stop?
Three years ... It’s hell unless we break their line.’

So when they told me you’d been left for dead
I wouldn’t believe them, feeling it must be true.
Next week the bloody Roll of Honour said
‘Wounded and missing’—(That’s the thing to do
When lads are left in shell-holes dying slow,
With nothing but blank sky and wounds that ache,
Moaning for water till they know
It’s night, and then it’s not worth while to wake!)

. . . .
Good-bye, old lad! Remember me to God,
And tell Him that our Politicians swear
They won’t give in till Prussian Rule’s been trod
Under the Heel of England ... Are you there?...
Yes ... and the War won’t end for at least two years;
But we’ve got stacks of men ... I’m blind with tears,
Staring into the dark. Cheerio!
I wish they’d killed you in a decent show.

Siegfried Sassoon
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

"Fiddler's Green"

Halfway down the trail to Hell,

In a shady meadow green

Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,

Near a good old-time canteen.

And this eternal resting place

Is known as Fiddlers' Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell

The Infantry are seen.

Accompanied by the Engineers,

Artillery and Marines,

For none but the shades of Cavalrymen

Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

Though some go curving down the trail

To seek a warmer scene.

No trooper ever gets to Hell

Ere he's emptied his canteen.

And so rides back to drink again

With friends at Fiddlers' Green.

And so when man and horse go down

Beneath a saber keen,

Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee

You stop a bullet clean,

And the hostiles come to get your scalp,

Just empty your canteen,

And go to Fiddlers' Green.

The origin and author of "Fiddler's Green" is unknown. It was believed to have originated in the 1800's and was composed as a song sung by the soldiers of the 6th and 7th Cavalry. Its first known appearance in published form was in a 1923 Cavalry Journal.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

WAY.. Belated.. but Happy Veterans Day to all Who serve and have served.

WAY .. Belated... But Happy Marine Corps Birthday to all my fellow Marines (November 10th)

As for the free meals and identification, unless I am mistaken, anyone who spent more than one enlistment in the service, you don't get any type of ID card, you just have your DD214.

Those who serve or have served one enlistment, had an inactive reserve time, and were issued a ID card showing that, in the event they were called back up.

Medically/Disability discharged, or retired also have ID's.

Hope all of ya got chance to eat hearty!! I was off work but at home watching my son, so didn't get chance to go out.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Veterans Day Freebies and Discounts:

http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2 ... discounts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who says there’s no such thing as a free lunch? Okay, it’s true that there’s ALWAYS a catch — except on Vet­er­ans Day.

Many busi­nesses honor Vet­er­ans and Ser­vice­mem­bers by offer­ing Vet­er­ans Day dis­counts on goods, ser­vices and din­ing. Most busi­nesses require some proof of mil­i­tary ser­vice, this includes a VA Uni­ver­sal Access Card, Mil­i­tary I.D., DD-214 (Dis­charge Papers) or in some cases a pic­ture of the vet­eran in uni­form.

Be aware that not all fran­chise loca­tions par­tic­i­pate in their national chain’s Vet­er­ans Day pro­grams, be sure con­tact your near­est estab­lish­ment to be sure they are par­tic­i­pat­ing.

The fol­low­ing islist of cur­rent vet­eran and mil­i­tary dis­counts, Buy One Get One (BOGO) offer­ings, and even includes some honest-to-goodness free meals:

Vet­er­ans Day Restau­rant Offer­ings:
Abuelo’s Mex­i­can Food - Abuelo’s offer­ings vary by region, be sure to call ahead to see what the dis­counts or free­bies are included.

Apple­bees - All vet­er­ans and active duty mil­i­tary eat free from a lim­ited menu at Applebee’s on Vet­er­ans Day (Nov. 11).

Chili’s — Vet­er­ans and active duty dine for free from a spe­cial lim­ited six item menu on Vet­er­ans Day.

Golden Cor­ral — Golden Cor­ral Restau­rants’ Mil­i­tary Appre­ci­a­tion Mon­day free din­ner will be avail­able on Novem­ber 15, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Mil­i­tary retirees, vet­er­ans, active duty, National Guard and Reserves are all wel­come.

Hoot­ers — All Vet­er­ans and active duty eat free. The free entrees must be selected from a spe­cial Vet­er­ans Day menu.

Krispy Kreme – All active-duty, retirees & vet­er­ans get a free dough­nut on Vet­er­ans Day. Be sure to call ahead to ver­ify your local Krispy Kreme is par­tic­i­pat­ing.

McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restau­rants — Par­tic­i­pat­ing McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restau­rants restau­rants offer a com­pli­men­tary entree to vets from a spe­cial menu on a space avail­able basis, online reser­va­tions are highly rec­om­mended.

Out­back Steak­house — Vet­er­ans and active-duty mil­i­tary get a com­pli­men­tary Bloomin’ Onion and non-alcoholic bev­er­age on Vet­er­ans Day.

UNO Chicago Grill — UNO is offer­ing a Buy One Get One free offer to Ser­vice­mem­bers or Vet­er­ans with a mil­i­tary or vet­eran I.D. or in uni­form or with a photo of them­selves in uni­form. The Vet­er­ans Day BOGO offer includes a free entree or indi­vid­ual pizza, with the pur­chase of an entree or pizza of equal or greater value.

Texas Road­house – Free meal from open­ing until 4pm. on Vet­er­ans Day. Call ahead to your local restau­rant for more infor­ma­tion.

T.G.I. Friday’s – Vet­er­ans and Ser­vice­mem­bers Buy one get one free from Nov 11–14. Con­tact your near­est loca­tion for more details on their Vet­er­ans Day BOGO offer.

Vet­er­ans Day Retailer Offer­ings:
The Dol­lar Gen­eral — Vet­er­ans, Ser­vice­mem­bers (Active, Guard, and Reserve), and their imme­di­ate fam­i­lies will receive a 10-percent dis­count with a Vet­er­ans Day coupon. The coupon may be found in store cir­cu­lar ads or by ask­ing a sales asso­ciate.

Home Depot — Offers a 10 per­cent dis­count to all Vet­er­ans dur­ing Vet­er­ans Day, Memo­r­ial Day and Inde­pen­dence Day.

Lowe’s — All vet­er­ans receive the 10-percent dis­count on Veteran’s Day, Memo­r­ial Day and the Fourth of July. The offer is avail­able in stores only and is lim­ited to in-stock and special-order pur­chases of up to $5,000.

Sam’s Club — Sam’s give away 36,000 col­lapsi­ble Hugo Canes on Vet­er­ans Day to mil­i­tary vet­er­ans in need of mobil­ity assis­tance. Sam’s Club will require mem­ber­ship for this offer, but proof of ser­vice may be nec­es­sary.

Year-Round Vet­er­ans Dis­counts:
Foot Locker — Vet­er­ans, Ser­vice­mem­bers (Active, Guard, and Reserve), and their imme­di­ate fam­i­lies with a Foot Locker Vet­er­ans Advan­tage Card receive a 20 per­cent dis­count every day of the year. That offer is good both online and at any store loca­tion, includ­ing Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Footac­tion and Champs Sports — even on sale items. Learn more about the Foot Locker Vet­er­ans Advan­tage offer.

Home Depot — Offers a 10 per­cent dis­count (up to a $500 max­i­mum) to all active mil­i­tary, reserve, retired or dis­abled vet­er­ans and their fam­ily mem­bers with a valid mil­i­tary ID. All other vet­er­ans qual­ify for a 10 per­cent dis­count dur­ing Vet­er­ans Day, Memo­r­ial Day and Inde­pen­dence Day. Learn more about the Home Depot Mil­i­tary Dis­count pro­gram.

Lowe’s — Lowe’s offers a year-round 10 per­cent dis­count offer for all active duty, National Guard and Reserve, retirees and dis­abled Ser­vice­mem­bers and their imme­di­ate fam­i­lies. All other vet­er­ans receive the 10-percent dis­count on Veteran’s Day, Memo­r­ial Day and the Fourth of July. The dis­count is avail­able on in-stock and special-order pur­chases of up to $5,000. The offer can’t be used on sales at Lowes​.com, on pre­vi­ous sales or on sales of ser­vices or gift cards. You must present a valid mil­i­tary I.D. card to receive the dis­count.

Sports Clips Hair­cuts - The men’s hair salon chain is offer­ing a free hair­cut to active mil­i­tary and vet­er­ans on Vet­er­ans Day.

:handgestures-salute:
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

My school has an assembly where members of all of the services were honored as well as POW's and MIA's. Being a military town, we always have a good turnout. This year, the teacher who retired whos classroom i now have was honored. He was a Veitnam vet, purple heart, never crowed about his service, many of the students had no idea what he experienced. Humbled a a few of the knotheads :D.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

fuck.

now you're gonna make me melancholy ...
I'm already drunk ...

awright, what the hell ...

:handgestures-salute:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That's the spirit! :D
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:That's the spirit! :D
Spirit? ... Yes please, on the rocks if you don't mind.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
HarryCanyon

Post by HarryCanyon »

Just had a sad veteran's day, my grandma just passed away and the funeral is tommorow.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Bummer, man. :(
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute:
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Happy Veteran's Day to all the veterans. Thank you for serving whether it was in peacetime or wartime.

:text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyoublue:
:romance-grouphug:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.