Newish to Dune

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Aguilar

Newish to Dune

Post by Aguilar »

Hi,

Well to introduce myself my name is Travis, started reading the first book in FH's series my senior year in high school, never been much of a heavy reader but was somewhat excited and anxious about the book. For one reason a friend picked up the book with me. I got about half way through it and got distracted by some other things >.> particularly a girl. So a couple of years later(a few weeks ago) I wanted to get back into reading it and bought another copy after my mother had lost the copy I had... Now i'm on COD about 150pages from finishing and I can honestly say i'm definitely hooked. I only have one regret though, after I finished the first book I went on a buying frenzy to say the least. I bought all the books in the original series and then a few of the prequel books, this was before I realized all the people that hated the prequels done by KJA and Brian.

I came to this forum after seeing an article at keepingthedoor.com and it was about How good are the new Dune books, seen a guy named sand rider who was commenting on there and was reading that everyone seems to hate the "nuDune". I figured if I came here from the comments left on the article I might get a better grasp on the problem with the new authors, also figured it was a better idea to come here rather than go to the dunenovels forum to post and see what everyone has to say.

Soooo, whats the deal with the new books? I makes me want to kick myself in the forehead that I diddnt research before buying >.<
TheDukester

Re: Newish to Dune

Post by TheDukester »

Aguilar wrote:>.> particularly a girl.
Yep. Every time. I wonder how many projects have been derailed over the years by shapely females?

Anyway, welcome. And keep on keeping-on with the pure Frank Herbert goodness.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Welcome! Nice that you found us through that article. A cookie for Sandrider!

Check out our Reading Group as you make your way through the chronicles. Comment if you like.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome, you've found the right place. Read all the Frank Herbert stuff first, and spend some time thinking about the quality of the writing, as well as some of the philosophy he put into the work. Then read some of the KJA&BH stuff, start with either the legends series (bad) or the house series (supposedly less bad, haven't read it myself) and form your own opinion about it, that's the best route.

If you're willing to risk brain cells in order to help me with a little experiment, go directly out of FH's last book into KJABH's so-called "dune 7", that is Hunters and Sandworms. It'd be interesting for us to see how little sense those books make to someone who has never read the Legends series, and what your emotional reaction is.

Enjoy your Dune experience, savour every moment before your brain gets polluted by KJA's garbage!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:If you're willing to risk brain cells in order to help me with a little experiment, go directly out of FH's last book into KJABH's so-called "dune 7", that is Hunters and Sandworms. It'd be interesting for us to see how little sense those books make to someone who has never read the Legends series, and what your emotional reaction is.
Cruel :twisted:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:If you're willing to risk brain cells in order to help me with a little experiment, go directly out of FH's last book into KJABH's so-called "dune 7", that is Hunters and Sandworms. It'd be interesting for us to see how little sense those books make to someone who has never read the Legends series, and what your emotional reaction is.
Cruel :twisted:
It would add to our stance that Dune 7 was selfserving KJA vomit, not anything FH could have intended. We were all coloured by the prequels, someone who's only read the 8 books might have some interesting comments.

:twisted:
Aguilar

Post by Aguilar »

A Thing of Eternity wrote: If you're willing to risk brain cells in order to help me with a little experiment, go directly out of FH's last book into KJABH's so-called "dune 7", that is Hunters and Sandworms. It'd be interesting for us to see how little sense those books make to someone who has never read the Legends series, and what your emotional reaction is.
Sounds like a plan, Those are actually the only kja and brian herbert work I havent bought...

I've read the story that they found lockbox with a bunch of notes he left behind that somewhat sums up dune 7 in a way.. But seriously, im trying to wrap an idea around how this is all canon. Have they proved that they actually found the notes?
Aguilar

Post by Aguilar »

Oh and I forgot to mention another reason why I joined, I was looking at the Picture member gallery. On the second page there is a guy named Phaedrus I was schoolmates with! What a coincidence! His mother was the 12th grade english teacher and she saw me reading dune one day and she told me her son loved the original books.

EDIT: Bleh 3rd page...
Last edited by Aguilar on 10 Nov 2009 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Aguilar wrote:Have they proved that they actually found the notes?
No. Unless you consider pictures of two floppy disks with handwritten labels posted on the Dune Novels website to be "proof". :P

By the way, achlan wasachlan fi sietchna! Welcome and doubly welcome to our sietch. :)

(Any friend of Phaedrus' is ... generally someone to avoid, but you seem like good people so we'll make an exception! :lol: )
Aguilar

Post by Aguilar »

Never really got to know him well, he sat behind me in band for a year or two, then he went to the school in mobile, AL where all the other smart kids went.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Aguilar wrote:Oh and I forgot to mention another reason why I joined, I was looking at the Picture member gallery. On the second page there is a guy named Phaedrus I was schoolmates with! What a coincidence! His mother was the 12th grade english teacher and she saw me reading dune one day and she told me her son loved the original books.

EDIT: Bleh 3rd page...
An Alabaman, huh? I think we have one or two other transplant Alabamans around here.

Welcome. You should spend some time looking at old threads. Our reasons are spelled out in great detail. Fear not resurrecting a dead thread.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome home.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Welcome, twice welcome :)
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Aguilar wrote:>.> particularly a girl.
Shouldn't let a girl keep you from art... Wasted three years of my life in an uncreative-funk because of one. Happy to be back in my writing and reading after all that. Hope you find Dune a worthy hobby.

Welcome, again and again. :)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi Aguilar :)
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Hi Aguilar.

I've just read through the start of the Picture Thread, and the first eight pages or so are just laugh out loud funny all the way through. Everyone slagging off each other's pics. :lol: I miss Orald.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Aguilar

Post by Aguilar »

Just finished CoD. The series never ceases to amaze me. Really excited to move onto God Emperor though, from most of the threads i've read it seems to be the most favorable book.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I'd say it's either love it or neutral. It has some of the best discussions and scenes of the series, but is very philosophical. Many people may be turned off by that.

But the scenes that are good, are good.
Last edited by Redstar on 12 Nov 2009 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Aguilar wrote:Just finished CoD. The series never ceases to amaze me. Really excited to move onto God Emperor though, from most of the threads i've read it seems to be the most favorable book.
CoD is my favorite.

On GEoD, my advice to you is; read it slowly. Put it down after each chapter, go back and re-read that chapter if you need to. Our Reading Group may be helpful.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome and looking forward to getting to know you better.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
trang

Post by trang »

Well Met and Welcome!!! Grab a Spice Beer and join in the discussion!!
Look forward to getting to know you!!

I'm just into COD (reread) myself, so not far behind ya, got twelve hours of being board at work tonight so hope to knock it out.

Freak's suggestion is right on for GEoD,... I will add, the book is thick till about half way point.. then just picks up like a rocket sled and slams ya forward to the end:)

GEoD is my favorite, in the sliver of a hair difference in my love for all six. DUNE starts it all, COD wraps the first portion, GEoD sets apart but leads you to the next phase... HOD and CHOD... carry you on another phase altogether... just remarkable from end to end.

KJAcket and FartBlocker aren't worthy of being used for chum, its two much disrespect to fish, but if you must, wear all your protective gear and read Hunters and Sadworms. If at anytime yours eyes begin to white out or you begin bleeding from the nose... run to our local ER.

and finanly:

Your water is ours!! (sorry SR hadnt see you in while so stealing the Thunder)
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Welcome.
Your Water is Mine.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

He lives! Woot! :dance:

We were worried about you, ya big lug!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1905&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

He's back! Roll in the holy music and release the mutant monkeys! :D
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood