Upcoming movies you aren't looking forward to

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

leagued

Re: Upcoming movies you aren't looking forward to

Post by leagued »

SpacemanSpiff wrote:I actually like the Star Wars Prequels. Jar Jar was annoying and Hayden Christensen can't act but it was chock full of spaceships
and awesome battles. The opening battle scene of Episode III was the definition of awesome. Sorry guys. I have
No problem with what Lucas did with it because it was his to do with what he wanted and really they aren't that bad.
Not as good as the original trilogy certainly but I still like them.

My problem with andrew stanton, JJ Abrams and Ron Moore is that they took someone elses creation and
thought they could do it better because they have huge egos. Because they're young and 'hip' and know what audiences want.
Well what they did sucks and ruined some good stories.
LeagueD
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The space battles were grand, especially the one at the begining of ep. III.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I redirect whoever doesn't know about it towards the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels (damn just that name should have been warning enough lol), they sum up pretty well what I feel about them.
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spice is the worm's gonads.
leagued

Post by leagued »

leagued wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:I actually like the Star Wars Prequels. Jar Jar was annoying and Hayden Christensen can't act but it was chock full of spaceships
and awesome battles. The opening battle scene of Episode III was the definition of awesome. Sorry guys. I have
No problem with what Lucas did with it because it was his to do with what he wanted and really they aren't that bad.

My problem with andrew stanton, JJ Abrams and Ron Moore is that they took someone elses creation and
thought they could do it better because they have huge egos. Because they're young and 'hip' and know what audiences want.
Well what they did sucks and ruined some good stories.
I think I meant to actually add something here and then didn't.
I agree that the prequels are not as bad as they are popularly held to be. The battles- especially the lightsaber fights- are pretty bad ass and the Kenobi-Anakin relationship in ep 3 is actually pretty well done- you just have to ignore Anakin's brattiness in ep 2. I also really liked the stately depiction of Amidala in her queen role in ep 1; though I think it all got thrown out the window in eps 2 and 3.

And I'm also not excited about Abrams. I'm not hating on him but I'm... wary. Nothing he's done strikes me as making him a contender for directing SW. But I can't think of anything Kirshner directed other than Empire so who knows. I just hope he sticks w/ the kind of cinematography that makes SW stick in my mind- big wide shots, bold colors and designs, Kurosawa-aping poring out of every frame. Also if he could avoid making up random nonsensical and unexplained... things... that would be great *cough* red matter makes black holes *cough*
LeagueD
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Did y'all see the new trailer for Star Trek durring the Superbowl?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I thought you were not watching the super bowl :p

(I saw a preview of ST when I went to see The Hobbit, not sure what to make of it though)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I just watched for the commercials, which weren't much to see.

It looked like it might be worth renting.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

It looked like it would be worth looking into ;)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

lotek wrote:I redirect whoever doesn't know about it towards the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels (damn just that name should have been warning enough lol), they sum up pretty well what I feel about them.
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats the guy with the interesting cellar?
lotek

Post by lotek »

The crawl space ^^
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

SpacemanSpiff wrote:I have
If the prequels won't turn you to the dark side, maybe this will! :

lotek

Post by lotek »

The people responsible for trying to have games without controllers should be be @#%* up the %#@ with the said controller.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

inhuien wrote:
lotek wrote:I redirect whoever doesn't know about it towards the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels (damn just that name should have been warning enough lol), they sum up pretty well what I feel about them.
Thats the guy with the interesting cellar?
Yes - that's him. The 70 minute review of Phantom Menace is required viewing. :)

He's also reviewed the newer Star Trek movies, and IMHO hits the nail on the head with his actually pretty positive review of 2009 Trek.

Abrams will do fine. I never did understand how they fucked up Star Wars.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think the prequels would have been much better if it had been about the Rise of Palpatine rather than about the Fall of Anakin Skywalker. Because there *was* an interesting and intriguing story there; it was just muddied by all this other stuff about Anakin that, frankly, wasn't very interesting, and interspersed with jaw-dropping-but-mindless special effects.

The whole Anakin thing was poorly handled as well - he went from annoying kid to whiny teenager to petulant adult. It wasn't so much the fall of a hero as the gradual decline of someone you never really thought much of anyway. His story should have followed more closely to that of Luke - whiny teenager to powerful Jedi, who is then seduced by the Dark side to become a powerful Sith Lord.

The Red Letter Media reviews are excellent, especially the first one.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623205/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Wizard of Oz prequel... :puke:
~Pink Snowman
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I think the prequels would have been much better if it had been about the Rise of Palpatine rather than about the Fall of Anakin Skywalker. Because there *was* an interesting and intriguing story there; it was just muddied by all this other stuff about Anakin that, frankly, wasn't very interesting, and interspersed with jaw-dropping-but-mindless special effects.
The most oft-heard complaint is that Lucas spent too much time on Politics in the prequels, but it's easy to see why he did so. Unlike Anakin's fall from grace, the Republic's fall from grace is well-considered and believable.
Hunchback Jack wrote:The whole Anakin thing was poorly handled as well - he went from annoying kid to whiny teenager to petulant adult. It wasn't so much the fall of a hero as the gradual decline of someone you never really thought much of anyway. His story should have followed more closely to that of Luke - whiny teenager to powerful Jedi, who is then seduced by the Dark side to become a powerful Sith Lord.
To be honest, the concept of 'turning' someone to the Dark Side was never very realistic. The idea that someone can define themselves fighting for everything that's good and right, be 'turned' in a pivotal scene, and then instantly become a ruthless murderer who kills kittens for fun--it doesn't really work outside the Star Wars universe. It doesn't even work inside it.

In the case of Darth Vader, however, it's very easy to imagine an alternative--and more realistic--history for his fall. In the movies, he is turned to the Dark Side, and then maimed by Obi-Wan Kenobi to the point that he can't exist without a breathing apparatus.

Now imagine it the other way around. Anakin Skywalker, the golden boy, the chosen one, has an accident in which he loses most of his limbs, and is badly burned and disfigured. He needs to wear a life support suit if he wants to remain alive.

He's no longer the promising hero everybody looks up to. He no longer commands his body in the way he used to. Kids are scared when they see him. Even his wife recoils from his touch.

It's fairly easy to imagine dark thoughts forming in a mind like that. Now add a little coaxing from Palpatine, and it's very easy to imagine someone in that situation feeling betrayed and abandoned by the people he used to call his friends ...

It seems like a fairly obvious avenue to tell the story of Darth Vader, and I wonder why Lucas never chose it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ben Affleck to play Batman in next Superman movie

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/22/showbiz/b ... ?hpt=en_c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has the whole world gone crazy?
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Yeah, I'm definitely wary, but I'm pretty sure people had the same reaction to Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker in TDK.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Tleszer wrote:Yeah, I'm definitely wary, but I'm pretty sure people had the same reaction to Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker in TDK.
Yeah, but it's not like Heath Ledger played a supervillian and failed miserably before being cast à la Daredevil.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

Ben Affleck is a better actor to me now than the Daredevil days, Hollywoodland changed my opinion about him as an actor, so I'm not really down on him being cast as Batman for this movie. I have no idea what the story will be, but I hope he plays an older more grizzled Batman like from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns comic book mini-series.

I think the bigger question mark is Zack Snyder. I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, but it seems people either liked it or hated it with a passion. I'm waiting for the Blu-ray to see for myself.

Christopher Nolan casting Heath Ledger as the Joker probably got more benefit of the doubt because of how well he did Batman Begins because I remember being iffy about Christian Bale as Batman when that was first announced.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

From what I've read, Batman and Superman battle it out in this movie. I'm not sure how old, but I have read that Batman is to be a more experienced crime fighter that Superman in the the movie.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

As far as I can remember I haven't made a single post in this topic yet. That wasn't because I couldn't name movies I wasn't looking forward to. On the contrary ... for the last decade or so there hasn't been a single movie I actually have been looking forward to. NOT . ONE. !!!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm looking forward to Ender's Game.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm looking forward to Ender's Game.
I am too. I have lowered expectations, but I want to see it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

I'm debating whether I should jump on to the "Ender's game boycott" bandwagon. All the cool kids seem to be doing it ...