Lynch's True Intentions?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

halcyo

Lynch's True Intentions?

Post by halcyo »

I had an interesting thought recently while re-watching the 1984 Dune. Many people cite the ridiculously over-exaggerated ending as one of the worst parts of the film. All of a sudden Paul IS the hand of god and magically makes it rain, and so apparently the Kwisatz Haderach is the "rain maker" :mrgreen: ....

Well my thought was this: If Lynch had hoped to continue on with film adaptions of the series, is it possible that he had the same intentions as Frank had with the character of Paul? What I mean is, would his Dune Messiah adaption have exposed these events as a 'hoax' to bolster his religious power base?!

It was very much Frank's goal to build the reader's love for Paul as a messiah, and then to tear it down in short order over the next few books.... Perhaps Lynch was going to do the same thing cinematically?
DuneFishUK

Re: Lynch's True Intentions?

Post by DuneFishUK »

Lynch's Dune is full of great visual shorthand - even weirding modules are pretty elegant if you think about them.

The rain scene could be one too - but to quote FH himself on this one: "Paul was a man playing god, not a god who could make it rain." Rather than change details of the story (which is forgiveable in any book-to-film adaptation) it changes the concept of the story.

Details aside Lynch was reasonably faithful - I think his Dune Messiah would have been weird.. but would have largely followed the original.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I believe the story goes that Lynch and others felt the sequels to Dune were unfilmable, so they worked to tidy up a more final ending. While making it rain does in fact contradict the book, anyone that pays attention during the movie should realize that at no time in the film does Paul making it rain contradict what they've set up. Different canon.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Redstar wrote:I believe the story goes that Lynch and others felt the sequels to Dune were unfilmable, so they worked to tidy up a more final ending. While making it rain does in fact contradict the book, anyone that pays attention during the movie should realize that at no time in the film does Paul making it rain contradict what they've set up. Different canon.
But Lynch did began scripting Dune 2 before the first one was finished.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The rain scene was added in the final, draft 7, revision of the script. I wonder how much Dino De Laurentiis and his compulsion for a 2 hour film and a "Ta-Da" ending had to do with it's addition.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Ah. Well towards the end I imagine they realized a sequel might not actually happen, so they tacked on the revised ending to make it more stand-alone.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Slowly, Irulan relaxed. There was no point in surrendering to fear, no point
in retreat, she had decided.
"You've allowed the weather to fall into a very primitive pattern," she
said, rubbing her arms through the robe. "It was dry and there was a sandstorm
today. Are you never going to let it rain here?"
"You didn't come here to talk about the weather," Paul said.

~Dune Messah
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

I think the interpretation was to show abilities of Paul's beyond Prescience.

"His name is a killing word"

"Usul no longer needs the weirding Module"

Again this is lynch's Paul, but I understood where he was going with it.

I always wondered (hindsight) if it would have worked out better if there had been another script writer who was more accurate in the interpretation from book to script, but then lynch do the Visuals and so forth.

I think Lynch really had the scale and scope of the book to movie correct, its majestic nature, and a lot of other things. Could have been ten times better, will never know I guess.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I still want to point out that Lynch filmed the correct ending. I don't know the politics behind what actually made it to screen.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Apjak wrote:I still want to point out that Lynch filmed the correct ending. I don't know the politics behind what actually made it to screen.
The ending is a bit rubbish if you don't have all the build-up with the epigraphs and the terrible purpose etc. Where as "For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach!" <Thunder, lightning, music> cut-to-black. Does hit the spot to a degree.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:Slowly, Irulan relaxed. There was no point in surrendering to fear, no point

~Dune Messah
Surely she's talking about Weather Management.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Drunken Idaho wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Slowly, Irulan relaxed. There was no point in surrendering to fear, no point

~Dune Messah

Surely she's talking about Weather Management.

Did Lynch know that?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

~Dune Messah
I was thinking weather control there, but I'm not too sure if they had the technology at that quote's time, let alone after Paul taking the Imperium.
Leto II definitely had it, and the Guild prevented the use of satellites on Arrakis so Paul becoming more powerful than Navigators could bypass that order and use weather control

Could that whole scene be just a metaphor of the powers of the KH?
It's not like Lynch never used that technique before ;)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No, the Fremen prevented the use of weather satellites by paying off the Guild. ;)
"We've all the evidence in our hands," he said. "Right here in this tent—the tent itself, this pack and its contents, these stillsuits. We know the Guild wants a prohibitive price for weather satellites. We know that—"

"What've weather satellites to do with it?" she asked. "They couldn't possibly..." She broke off.

Paul sensed the hyperalertness of his mind reading her reactions, computing on minutiae. "You see it now," he said. "Satellites watch the terrain below. There are things in the deep desert that will not bear frequent inspection."

"You're suggesting the Guild itself controls this planet?"

She was so slow.

"No!" he said. "The Fremen! They're paying the Guild for privacy, paying in a coin that's freely available to anyone with desert power—spice. This is more than a second-approximation answer; it's the straight-line computation. Depend on it."
(I love it when he disses her: She was so slow. "Awww, Mom ... you're like a ... pretard or something!" :lol: )
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:No, the Fremen prevented the use of weather satellites by paying off the Guild. ;)
Yeah my mistake that's what I meant but it is late here and my mind was faster than my keyboard. My question was as Fremen prevented the use of any satellites, what if that final scene in Dune was just a cinematic shortcut to the time where those satellites were in place? Installing them from space would be a formality and with the size of industry in the Duniverse having the necessary numbers would be a matter of days. I doubt Lynch would say that but I do.
"We've all the evidence in our hands," he said. "Right here in this tent—the tent itself, this pack and its contents, these stillsuits. We know the Guild wants a prohibitive price for weather satellites. We know that—"

"What've weather satellites to do with it?" she asked. "They couldn't possibly..." She broke off.

Paul sensed the hyperalertness of his mind reading her reactions, computing on minutiae. "You see it now," he said. "Satellites watch the terrain below. There are things in the deep desert that will not bear frequent inspection."

"You're suggesting the Guild itself controls this planet?"

She was so slow.

"No!" he said. "The Fremen! They're paying the Guild for privacy, paying in a coin that's freely available to anyone with desert power—spice. This is more than a second-approximation answer; it's the straight-line computation. Depend on it."
(I love it when he disses her: She was so slow. "Awww, Mom ... you're like a ... pretard or something!" :lol: )
hey even messiahs have the right to be obnoxious adolescents ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:... what if that final scene in Dune was just a cinematic shortcut to the time where those satellites were in place?
That's what I'd like to think. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Lynch had read DM and was prepared to do a sequel.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:... what if that final scene in Dune was just a cinematic shortcut to the time where those satellites were in place?
That's what I'd like to think. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Lynch had read DM and was prepared to do a sequel.
thing is it's still Lynch and after watching Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet, no way I can truly believe the guy would go for such a down to earth explanation :)

I seem also to have read something about a DM sequel but it could have been in this post :? the kja tarot has been muddling my mind's water again :tissue2:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
thing is it's still Lynch and after watching Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet, no way I can truly believe the guy would go for such a down to earth explanation :)
Maybe he was between LSD trips when he did Dune? :?
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Or he didnt care much. He was more interested in the deal he made with Dino DeLorentis to finance one of his films and give him complete control over the project. This project was Blue Velvet.

Added:
From Wiki:
Dune Messiah: Lynch was in the process of writing the sequel to film Dune (which was partially adapted from the book), but the box office failure of the first film killed the project. From the Inner Views Lynch interview, "...I was really getting into Dune II. I wrote about half the script, maybe more, and I was really getting excited about it. It was much tighter, a better story." From a Prevue article from 1984: "Lynch has written two sequel screenplays to Dune – Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, based on Herbert's succeeding novels – which currently await the author's approval. Back-to-back lensing is expected if the first film is a success. Although Kyle MacLachlan will portray Paul Atreides in the three Dune spectacles, Lynch promises a different cast each time."
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Even though I didn't like his Dune effort, I'd like to see what he would have done with the next two.
~Pink Snowman
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

lotek wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

I seem also to have read something about a DM sequel but it could have been in this post :? the kja tarot has been muddling my mind's water again :tissue2:
did you ever see Inland Empire? I must say, I've seen it once and it felt like my brain would melt down.
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants
lotek

Post by lotek »

no I didn't see inland empire, I was quite a fan of lynch but even if I like to be challenged when watching a movie(or reading a book), the challenge with lynch lies more in accepting the fact there might be no answer even if he disclosed his true intentions(if himself knows them)
which is were I understand talks of melting brains ;)
so after a while I kind of forgot him and his movies...
(but Blue Velvet and even Fire Walk With Me I did like)

I liked his Dune for the costumes and settings, his vision of what the characters looked like fit quite well the picture I had in mind
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I'm a Lynch fan myself, especially about Twin Peaks.
You're right about accepting that there are no answers because that's how Lynch is.
Many scenes are more about the visual effect it has rather than actual meaning.
Mulholland Drive is a great example of that.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
lotek

Post by lotek »

Seraphan wrote:I'm a Lynch fan myself, especially about Twin Peaks.
You're right about accepting that there are no answers because that's how Lynch is.
Many scenes are more about the visual effect it has rather than actual meaning.
Mulholland Drive is a great example of that.

yup definitely
shame he didn't exploit that more in Dune, it would have fitted perfectly with all the unsaid of Frank's prose to have a visual equivalent of "here are the elements make up your own goddamn' mind" :)
nampigai

Post by nampigai »

lotek wrote:no I didn't see inland empire, I was quite a fan of lynch but even if I like to be challenged when watching a movie(or reading a book), the challenge with lynch lies more in accepting the fact there might be no answer even if he disclosed his true intentions(if himself knows them)
which is were I understand talks of melting brains ;)
so after a while I kind of forgot him and his movies...
(but Blue Velvet and even Fire Walk With Me I did like)

I liked his Dune for the costumes and settings, his vision of what the characters looked like fit quite well the picture I had in mind
I love Lynch, however there are just some of his movies that will, well melt my brain, glad to know I'm not the only one. I can't help but thinking that Lynch is deliberately fucking with peoples minds, and that there's no "answers" to his movies.

Fire Walk With Me and Twin Peaks are awesome, I still watch them when ever my wife is working nightshifts. It's been ages since I've seen Blue Velvet and Mulholland Road, perhaps I need to go seach my dvd's ;-)
Do not be quick to reveal judgment. Hidden judgment is often more potent. It can guide reaction whose effects are felt only when too late to divert them.
- Bene Gesserit Advice to Postulants