Lynch's True Intentions?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Seraphan

Re: Lynch's True Intentions?

Post by Seraphan »

Whatever you do just remember, the owls are not what they seem :wink:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
lotek

Post by lotek »

and his Dune doesn't seem to have that many fans after all(click on pic):

Would you have paid for it?(if money was not an issue of course)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Hell yeah. But it looks like shit.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

It would be cool for halloween :shifty:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

lotek wrote:and his Dune doesn't seem to have that many fans after all
I'm a big fan of his adaptation. I just think someone should cut out a lot of the fluff. Unfortunately, adding things missing from the book would be difficult, but at least slimming it down to a better sitting-time as well as getting rid of the narm-tastic scenes could help it a lot.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Redstar wrote:
lotek wrote:and his Dune doesn't seem to have that many fans after all
I'm a big fan of his adaptation. I just think someone should cut out a lot of the fluff. Unfortunately, adding things missing from the book would be difficult, but at least slimming it down to a better sitting-time as well as getting rid of the narm-tastic scenes could help it a lot.
"cut out a lot of the fluff" that's nice way of saying cutting the BS :)
I liked a the visuals, sets and costumes which did look like the picture I had in mind when reading the books, but I believe Lynch failed(on purpose or not)to capture the essence of Dune(a daunting task indeed!)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I thought his use of rennaisance imagry to visually depict the feudal society was brilliant.

Heart plugs, cat milking, pug dogs, weirding modules... not so much.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I've read that Frank especially liked the use of renaissance imagery, so that's one thing he thought was done right as well.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Although no one has yet explained why 238th-century Galactic Baroque should look like European (Terran) Renaissance... ;)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Because 238th-century butterfly dresses look worse.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It was more a time of hats and outré headdresses, actually. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Fashion is cyclical, like everything else.
~Pink Snowman
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

Freakzilla wrote:Even though I didn't like his Dune effort, I'd like to see what he would have done with the next two.
I'd like to see what he could have done without interference from studio and producers. he's a bright guy, I'm sure he was able to comprehend the books' meaning.
Seraphan wrote:Mulholland Drive is a great example of that.
wasn't Mulholland Drive written originally to be a TV series and after the studio rejected it he wrote an ending? I wonder why studios even try to have him write anything for TV.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Harq al Ada wrote:wasn't Mulholland Drive written originally to be a TV series and after the studio rejected it he wrote an ending? I wonder why studios even try to have him write anything for TV.
IMDB wrote:Originally filmed in 1999 on a budget of $8 million as a made-for-TV pilot, new scenes were filmed one year later on a $7 million budget given by the French film studio Studio Canal to wrap up the open ending which had been left unresolved in the original version so that a TV series could follow.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Harq al Ada wrote:wasn't Mulholland Drive written originally to be a TV series and after the studio rejected it he wrote an ending?
What happened to it, then? The ending, I mean? It certainly wasn't in my copy of the DVD.

That's two or so hours I want back. Not to mention Lynch's absolute last chance with me. He'll never again waste my time.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

TheDukester wrote:
Harq al Ada wrote:wasn't Mulholland Drive written originally to be a TV series and after the studio rejected it he wrote an ending?
What happened to it, then? The ending, I mean? It certainly wasn't in my copy of the DVD.

That's two or so hours I want back. Not to mention Lynch's absolute last chance with me. He'll never again waste my time.
the ending was the true start. the first part was the true end. if you cut the first 2/3rds or so of the movie and put it after her masturbation scene then it makes sense.

the end is reality. the start of the movie is her fantasy of how her life would be better if she wasn't a D class actor with no prospects.

I love Lynch, but I can see how he can infuriate people.
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” Albert Einstein
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

SimonH wrote:I love Lynch, but I can see how he can infuriate people.
that's part of the reason I like him. and I really like his version of Dune.

anyone seen The Straight Story http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Harq al Ada wrote:anyone seen The Straight Story http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Saw a largish bit of it late one night when I was really tired. Liked what I remember seeing of it. :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Harq al Ada wrote:anyone seen The Straight Story http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Saw a largish bit of it late one night when I was really tired. Liked what I remember seeing of it. :)
Saw it a long time ago. I remember loving it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I wonder why studios even try to have him write anything for TV.
Perhaps for hope of another success like Twin Peaks was. Even though that show got cancelled. Lynch asked for it though.
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

Seraphan wrote:
I wonder why studios even try to have him write anything for TV.
Perhaps for hope of another success like Twin Peaks was. Even though that show got cancelled. Lynch asked for it though.
I was always under the impression that it was a little successful despite the networks and not as successful as it might have been at the time because they kept moving the day of the week. and after 2 seasons abc canceled it because of ratings.

it wasn't so much successful as it was a television anomaly that received a lot of attention initially but was soon corrected by abc and the majority of tv viewers. somewhat intelligent television rarely lasts especially on commercial television (the tv before cable was big).
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Harq al Ada wrote:I was always under the impression that it was a little successful despite the networks and not as successful as it might have been at the time because they kept moving the day of the week. and after 2 seasons abc canceled it because of ratings.
True, the decline of the show's ratings gave the excuse for it's cancelation but thing is, even the show's decline is somewhat Lynch's responsibility. He wussed out of the show after the identity of Laura Palmer's killer was revealed because he and Mark Frost gave in to the network's pressures.
Harq al Ada wrote:it wasn't so much successful as it was a television anomaly that received a lot of attention initially but was soon corrected by abc and the majority of tv viewers..
You're right, it was definitely an anomaly. In my point of view the show would have flourished if it were made today. Back then the majority of people watched it only because of the mystery of Laura Palmer's death. They didnt pay as much attention to the fact that the show was about the characters around her and how her death affected the whole town. The scene of her funeral should've made that clear enough.
Harq al Ada wrote: somewhat intelligent television rarely lasts especially on commercial television (the tv before cable was big)
Unfortunetly that's exactly how it is and we're full of examples of that. :(
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Any idea why the Expanded Edition prologue of the Lynch adaptation says it's the year "10,192", one year later than in the Theatrical prologue?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:Any idea why the Expanded Edition prologue of the Lynch adaptation says it's the year "10,192", one year later than in the Theatrical prologue?
I never noticed that. :think:
~Pink Snowman
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

Just to keep us OH on our toes I guess.....