hello and all that crap

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

insidiom

hello and all that crap

Post by insidiom »

dune fan since 1995 after watching the david lynch film and reading the first novel in paperback.
favorite book is god emperor, hands-down and there are few books written in any genre that compare, IMO.
ive read all the prequels, stopping at the newest "heroes" books and am quite aware of the major differences.

im also formerly of the KJASF group. i joined up hoping to discuss the books more and get more insight as to
why the newer books were written as they were. i just didnt understand the lack of character development and
the endless 3rd person narrative of every single nuance. that group really is just a street team for KJA and his other non-dune projects.
im not into being a free publicity engine for anyone, despite any "rewards" showered upon me.

ive never been a KJA fan because i didnt know who he was before the prequels, so i dont have any bias or emotional attachment.
ive always made the allowance that he is nothing close to FH, so i never really looked at the details of the books, just the story.
i like the prequels. very much like how pee-wee liked dotty. i just dont want to dig too much into all those inconsistencies because i dont
have many sci fi loves left that havent been wrecked to shit by greedy people. its just easier for me to turn a blind eye to most of it
than to become bitter.

BTW--im not a mole for that group, nor am megaphone for KJA. he has plenty of other fans to do that.
also, if anyone has questions concerning KJASF, id be happy to oblige.

sandchigger/RC has called out my reviews on amazon for the most obvious reasons and i respect his passion for FHs works and the need to call
out obvious issues with canon and consistency. i am also more than happy to discuss my intentions regarding those reviews as well. i must also
applaud his fine work in angering so many people who insist on being "nice" all the time. i am an avid fan of making people angry.

ive joined this group to hear/read others' critical analysis of the new vs old. im not here to bash KJA. my interactions with him have been
positive and i dont have anything negative to say about him personally. that being said, i have no objection to criticizing his writing or his
business practices.

no, my shift key is not broken.
"...no one. but the water tastes really bad; like ass and dirt.
i dont suggest that anybody drink the water from their suits. it tastes really bad."
"that it does."

"A man is a fool not to put everything he has, at any given moment, into what he is creating."--FH

darkness loves bbq
SandRider
Watermaster

Re: hello and all that crap

Post by SandRider »

Welcome. Your Water is Ours.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Welcome. You'll find lots of speculation here about why the new books are the way they are.

You'll also find lots of discussions about Dune.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

insidiom wrote:that group really is just a street team for KJA and his other non-dune projects.
Excellent description. Have SandRider give you a cookie.

Also, welcome.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome and look forward to getting to know you better.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

welcome :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Hello insidiom.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome. It's good to see more people here who can criticise the new books without having a personal vendetta against KJA (which many of us do). Our interactions with the HLP and KJA have not been positive, so I'm glad you've had better luck - though, if you started mentioning (to them, not us) inconsistancies and flaws in the new books' writing, I would bet that your positive experiences with them would quickly come to an end. They refuse to admit even the most obvious mistake, and lash out very quickly when backed into a logical corner.

Hopefully you find what you're looking for here. I'd suggest the Prequels sub forum, it has most of our discussion on what exactly are the flaws/inconsistancies with every single new book, as well as a recapping of the "authors'" excuses for those errors.

Have fun!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Great to have you!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi insidiom :)
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Welcome, twice welcome.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
trang

Post by trang »

Well Met and Welcome, grab a spice beer and join in the fun!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Hello.
Bonjour.
Buongiorno!
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

Welcome! I am new as well but I don't like the prequels. It seems like a fairly fun and informative group so far.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

insidiom wrote:no, my shift key is not broken.
ZING!! :lol:

Achlan wasachlan fi sietchna! Welcome and doubly welcome to our sietch! :)

(Repetitive, perhaps, but I reckon you've built up an immunity to repetition. ;) )
i am an avid fan of making people angry.
Well, coming and joining us here is guaranteed to do just that. Just wait till Pestie's next drive-by. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Helllloooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to hear some KJASF dirt. Like what kind of bs they asked you to do to promote KJA's books, and what incentives they offered.

And especially if others over there brag about making waves here.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I was thinking this the other day -
we ain't much of an internet terrorist organization, huh ?

if you listen to the HLP and the KJA Amazombies, we're just over-running teh webz
with our hate, bile, and nefarious plots ....

but we still don't have a sockpuppet in Keith's Treehouse,
and apparently, can't be bothered ....

the one guy who was in, a "professional KJA-hater", maintainer of a hate-blagh
focused solely on The Comb-Over and so on, not only did not exploit the
registration loophole, but actually pointed it out to them.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, some "terrorist" I am, huh? :roll:

:lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
insidiom

Post by insidiom »

i am an avid fan of making people angry.
Well, coming and joining us here is guaranteed to do just that. Just wait till Pestie's next drive-by. :lol:[/quote]

thats why i do my best to be objective. it pisses off my friends, especially when it comes to politics. no one likes a moderate libertarian during a political discussion.

i dont agree with harassing anyone or wishing violence on them. ill draw the line there. while i do question what some people say on this forum, i dont consider my interacting with them to be condoning what they do or say. im here to talk about the nuances of the dune stories that i dont have the time to dig out on my own. like anyone on this forum, if anyone on that side has a bone to pick with me they can come pick it. i showed everyone on that forum respect and decency and even did my part to promote products and events (as if i were in a street team). the reviews portion was the only thing that slowed me down (aside from having to be mindful of everyone's feelings). ultimately, i dont feel as if i have broken some special forces code. i am my own person and i like an honest to goodness debate sometimes. even if that debate gets heated. passion is a good thing.
i dont suggest that anybody drink the water from their suits. it tastes really bad."
"that it does."

"A man is a fool not to put everything he has, at any given moment, into what he is creating."--FH

darkness loves bbq
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'm not sure everyone agrees it's a good thing in these PC-addled, let's-play-nice-nice days. ;)

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the "wishing violence on someone" thing; I still really want the universe to bounce a little space rock off someone's head. :)
insidiom

Post by insidiom »

SandChigger wrote:I'm not sure everyone agrees it's a good thing in these PC-addled, let's-play-nice-nice days. ;)

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the "wishing violence on someone" thing; I still really want the universe to bounce a little space rock off someone's head. :)
when worded that way, it reminds me of jerry dropping anvils on tom's head. :lol:
"that it does."

darkness loves bbq
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:D

Nice image, but it's a little too clear who the acting agent is. I want it to be a traditional Act of God. ;)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

SandChigger wrote::D

Nice image, but it's a little too clear who the acting agent is. I want it to be a traditional Act of God. ;)
Because they can't claim insurance? :lol:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
insidiom

Post by insidiom »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Because they can't claim insurance? :lol:
insurance against god? the deductible would be brutal.
"that it does."

darkness loves bbq