Shilling KJA-style may become illegal?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Lundse

Re: Shilling KJA-style may become illegal?

Post by Lundse »

Hi Redbug...

Thanks for the answers. Sorry to have been pestering you, but it was becoming a bit ridiculous that I did not even know your position...

Anyway, I have an open question to all here - where did the "point for reviews/posts/whatever" come from. I seem to recall it was directly from text lifted from "within" KJASF - was this not the case?

If the text from KJASF last posted by RBP is in effect, I don't think it is illegal (IANAL, though). But I still find it problematic - you get invited, get priviliges and you are expected to do certain things. If this is the case, it is a case both comparable to a paid review, but equally comparable to a "treehouse" situation - it is relevant that a reviewer is from KJASF the same way it is relevant that a reviewer is from Jacurutu. Not so much because one can say "this is to be expected from that bunch", but because you know the "guys back home" are probably exerting some kind of peer pressure.
So problematic, and a bit pathetic. If it had been done up-front, not a problem.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Lundse wrote:I seem to recall it was directly from text lifted from "within" KJASF - was this not the case?
You remember correctly. Examples of the original pay-for-play text can still be found both here and at Amazon.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

we don't get trinklets here :)
and I personaly find it really annoying when people evade questions and dodge answers, if any one of kja's cronies came and adressed whatever's the question at the time it would be a refreshing change(at least that's the feel I got from the Cast Out side, the other side's echo being more of moaning an' bitchin' than real constructive argument)

So there are some questions that will never be answered, but in the end everyone knows that if writing were a boxing match KJA would be counting his teeth on the floor first round in a literary fight with Frank :mrgreen:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

So ... after 7 pages of this shit all we have really learned is that KJA has stopped rewarding KJASF members for shill reviews. :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Yup, and not even for sure, only on the word of someone who may (or apparently may not...) actually have a membership and know what's going on.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(No, he's finally admitted he's a member. But that wasn't news, since we knew it already. ;) But yeah, we have only his rather dubious word that da shillin' has stopped.)
rain_maker

Post by rain_maker »

SandChigger wrote:(No, he's finally admitted he's a member. But that wasn't news, since we knew it already. ;) But yeah, we have only his rather dubious word that da shillin' has stopped.)
Pics or it didn't happen.
A screen capture should be pretty easy?
I had no idea that there were this many Frank Herbert fans left alive, what with the head exploding horror that is the KJA/BH atrocity.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Although I may or may not subscribe to this idea, I have it on good authority that this thread is indeed hilarious even though the method to determine its being called hilarious is under review.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

rain_maker wrote:
SandChigger wrote:(No, he's finally admitted he's a member. But that wasn't news, since we knew it already. ;) But yeah, we have only his rather dubious word that da shillin' has stopped.)
Pics or it didn't happen.
A screen capture should be pretty easy?
Correction: the PAID shilling has stopped. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Or at least the connection between writing reviews and receiving merch is no longer explicit. Wink.

I'd be interested to know why the direct fan-activity <-> points <-> merch system on KJASF changed. Who objected to the original scheme? What was wrong with it?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks