Recreational Basketball!!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Recreational Basketball!!

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Anyone here got any videos of them playing basketball or just play the sport regularly? How good are you? How tall are you?

I'm currently trying to be able to dunk on a ten foot rim with an official size ball. I'm pretty tall for my age (6'3'' or 6'4'' at 15; doctor says I could reach 6'6'' or 6'8'' but I'm doubtful) and skinny (around 150. seriously.) so I should be able to pull it off pretty soon.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Recreational Basketball!!

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Sorry, I was a hockey and lacrosse player, no basket ball for me.
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I love the game and play it often. I'm not going to school anyone anymore but I have a pretty decent shot. When I was 22 I could play with anyone. I'm only 6'. My little brother is 18 and is 6'4" and 235. I could beat him up till 2 years ago.....now, not so much.

Both of my little brothers are bigger than me and it pisses me off. :mad: That's why God gave me the brains. I use them for manual labor.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Sorry, I'm on the taller end of 6'6", and not skinny at 300lbs. I can't shoot a basketball worth beans, and I don't enjoy it. However as far as sports goes, I stay active with Martial Arts. I take a type of Aikido called Shinwa Taido, so here's a shot of me when I was a brown belt bringing the pain. I shouldn't be looking down though (bad habit of double checking my handwork).

I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I've never been good at basketball and think it's like watching ping-pong.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:I've never been good at basketball and think it's like watching ping-pong.
I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, and yes. Yes it is.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Marathon napper, here. A video or pix shouldn't be too hard to come up with! :P

Me in gym class:

"Um ... coach? You want me to dribble on this ball and then bounce it around while running while other guys are trying to take it away from me and then try to throw it through that hoop up there? ... Why?"

I hated sports because I was never any good at them. Fortunately I developed a trick knee during my freshman year and got excused thereafter. :D
Futar

Post by Futar »

Only ever really played basketball in gym class back in high school and our group didnt exactly play by any set of rules besides dribbling. we had no out of bounds and would actually throw the ball at the wall to bounce it back to somebody else and ram into each other as well.

aside from that i did some little league baseball way back and unfortunately none of my friends dads were coaches so i was screwed in play time

did a bit of tae kwon do when i was in middle school. was a lot of fun until they stopped passing people simply to get more money out of them

i find watching things on tv to be incredibly boring. whenever i watch the cleveland indians play im generally on my comp doing something else at the same time to keep me busy
trang

Post by trang »

Basketball is fun (prefer the roughhousing kind) but never played in any organizational, just pickup games and such, Im fair shooter and ball handler, at 5' 11" 235lbs and negative vertical leap, not getting near a rim.

At 42 I mostly spectate.. drink....Smoke . and grab SO's ass.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

trang wrote:At 42 I mostly spectate.. drink....Smoke
Drink ... smoke ... you meant mostly expectorate, no? :P
Futar wrote:i find watching things on tv to be incredibly boring.
THAT, too. :roll:

Strangely, though, I do like to go see things live. Probably mostly herd urge, I figure. :)
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Don't play any more and never played for a team; however, when I was younger I played country basket ball with my brother and our cousins. I was bwteen 5'1" and 5'2" at that time and around 100 lbs. (I've shrunk at least an inch since then) I loved it, but wasn't that good at it. It didn't help too much that they were all 6 feet or more.

And for those who don't know what country basket ball is...The only rules were you couldn't hit below the belt and no elbows to the face. Normally it was 3 on 3 when we played with one hoop nailed to a tree.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ah, yes — I've been in my share of those games. We called them "no autopsy, no foul" games. I developed an outside shot so I wouldn't have to mix it up inside with the true goons so much. :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Eyes High wrote:And for those who don't know what country basket ball is...The only rules were you couldn't hit below the belt and no elbows to the face. Normally it was 3 on 3 when we played with one hoop nailed to a tree.
That sounds rather fun actually.

I used to enjoy playing sport. Then they banned slide-tackles, then they started enforcing the "rules", then they banned us from shouting threats at each other, then it wasn't fun anymore :(
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

From my 13th to 32 I played handball at national level. In 1997 I ran the Rotterdam marathon in 4 hours 3 minutes. Pretty soon, at 40, I start boxing.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Some of the most fun I've had is playing church ball. Here in Salt Lake every Mormon church has a basketball court and they create leagues based on what ward you live in. Plus there's a church on every other corner so you get a bunch of teams. I swear there's nothing like it anywhere in the country. You're supposed to be very respectful and never use foul language while playing but it never fails, you always get a few yuppie goons that think they're god's gift to basketball and shouting matches almost always happen along with a few thrown chairs. That along with the 250 pound, 40 year old office worker that thinks every game is his last chance for glory and plays like a rabbid gorilla(one or two on every team). I prefer to call it Goon Ball. I've seen a fight once and that got ugly. I think a few people were almost excommunicated from the church.

Some of the words they use would make my mother blush. Funny as hell. I just tell them I'm Mormon or considering and they let me play(but you can bet your ass they will check the records). I haven't tried in my new neighborhood but was actually invited when I first moved in about a year and a half ago. The guy I was supposed to go with had an emergency on that night and I never heard back from them again. Must have seen the beer when I carried it into the house that week.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Yo, how do I imbed youtube videos? I seem to be having trouble (I'm trying to post a video of me: 6'3'' 150 pound skinny white kid dunking on 10 feet finally, woo-hoo!)
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Sandwurm88 wrote:Yo, how do I imbed youtube videos? I seem to be having trouble (I'm trying to post a video of me: 6'3'' 150 pound skinny white kid dunking on 10 feet finally, woo-hoo!)
put the youtube link between [-youtube-][-/youtube-] without the minuses.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Olympos

Post by Olympos »

Hardcore baller in my youth, I played the hardcourts & gymnasiums of rural Washington State, Australia, Philadelphia, England and finally Seattle before a pretty serious ankle injury convinced me it was time to stopppppp because I wasn't young enough to play 6-8 hours a week of fullcourt hoops any more, as I did in college, year-'round.

Favorite tournament: played softball on the company team and one of the older guys on the team was a oil & tax laywer for tribes in Alaska and Washington. Very nice waterfront house. Turns out he's a big hoops fan. He separates his Achilles tendon (ow) playing softball and in rehab, meets some physical therapists for University of Washington women's athletics, and meets a couple players from the U.W. women's team .....

This all leads to a co-ed 3-on-3 tourney during the summer at his house, where he has a good flat halfcourt in front of his garage. Women's players from a couple big basketball programs and various guys he knows ... a few water skis and a couple ski boats to stay busy between games, a big party, and games all day in a double-elimination tournament, randomly drawn teams (2 men, 2 women).

Tons of fun, and the women could *play* ... best player on the court by far was a gal (not on my team) who had just graduated after being Washington's starting point guard for 3 years running, All Pac-10 3 years running.
All rebels are closet aristocrats.

Leto Atreides II
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

6'8", 340#. I never liked basketball. I played catcher as a kid, and ran cross country as a young man then played tennis for several years. I keep meaning to take up golf, but common sense keeps prevailing. But now my boy is totally head-over-heels for the game, so I now have basketball hoops all around me and shoot with my kid a lot.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

^^Nice. Can you dunk? My coach is like 6'8'' as well but he broke his knee when he was young or something and now can't do it.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

So, what does everyone think about the LeBron thing?? Big-ego douchebag or justified confident guy?? Oh yeah, I still wanna see how some of y'all play basketball. I've been playing all summer, mostly with 6'5'' black guys who destroy...but that's how you get better, right!?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

hey, Sloey, how'ya been, Son ?

having a good summer ?

and yeah, if you can hang on the court with the big bucks, you'll be prepared for
just about whatever life can throw at you ... good job ...

and hey, don't be embarrassed to go up under them big fuckers and get two with a underarm lay up ...
and work on those perimeter threes ... don't matter how tall they are if you can get a long one up over them ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Sandwurm88 wrote:So, what does everyone think about the LeBron thing?? Big-ego douchebag or justified confident guy?? Oh yeah, I still wanna see how some of y'all play basketball. I've been playing all summer, mostly with 6'5'' black guys who destroy...but that's how you get better, right!?
Who?

We just lost the final of the world cup for the third time in 36 years. I am still mourning. :tissue2:

and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Basketball (we call it something derogatory here) is almost as boring as soccer. Football season will be here in a few weeks...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

^^Sorry to hear that man. In America, pretty much everyone was rooting for Spain, and I watched with my friend's family...I know that he is legal, but I'm honestly not sure about his mom or dad...They went ballistic and shot off red and yellow flares after the victory. The city was crazy as well. I was walking across the Brooklyn Bridge like two days after the Cup, and this shirtless guy with red and yellow painted across his chest comes up to me, a kid who does not look in the least Hispanic, and is like "WE WON THE WORLD CUP!!" And I was like..."I know....yeah.. woo-hoo"

Someone told me that to get better at basketball, you should play two-on-one games against two people right below your skill level, instead of just participating in 5-on-5 games in which everyone is better than you, so lately I've been playing against my brother who is 6'4'' and 180 lbs, and is worse than me in terms of vertical jump, and three point capability as well as driving it into the hoop ( I'm 6'2'' or 6'3'' and 150), but he's stronger than me and fouls like a son of a bitch. The other kid on his team is a 5'7'' kid who is a point guard for the local high school and he's about as fast as me, and has a better three point shot, but if I go up for a lay up, and he challenges me, he'll get his head like to my elbow, and won't be able to muscle me down. I play up to 15, and play every day half court with them, and I lost 6-15 first time I played them. I've gotten up to 11-15 as of yesterday, so it's progress, and I've dunked on ten feet once or twice, so I'm trying to work that into my game.

( It's probably just assumed at this point, but I'm not Sole Man!! Check my IP or something!)