Pandorum

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Crysknife

Pandorum

Post by Crysknife »

Finally a science fiction movie that delivers? Let me start by saying I didn't know what to expect from this movie because I purposely didn't read too much about it before I went to see it. I just got back from the theater and I'm still thinking about it, which is a good thing.

I'm not going to spoil anything here but let me just say WOW. It's been a while since a good science fiction film has pulled me in like that. From the opening scene I was hooked, and the rest of the film keeps on giving. I wasn't too concerned with character development because it's just not that kind of movie, as you will soon see if you go to see it. At one point I actually had to sit up and remind myself I was in a theatre because I was so enthralled by what was happening on the screen. As with any science fiction, there were some suspect plot lines and other detractors but over all I think the film really tried to answer all questions plausibly. And Quaid gives a good performance that actually added to the film, which I can't say about all of his movies.

Killer movie. Go see it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Pandorum

Post by SandChigger »

Damn. I really wanted to see this one while home. Futz futz futz. :(
lotek

Post by lotek »

Spice is the worm's gonads.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

mocit5 wrote:There is a good stroy here (What hasnt been rehashed in some form or other; even Doom Copied Half Life and no one complained then, because it was a good game). The acting is good (Frankly, Ben Foster amazed me me; we'll see him again... that boy can act.) It was a good idea. the director didnt execute it well, so the movie gets 6 out 10 for me. It should have been better then it was, but it is still pretty good.
lol what?

Seeing this new trailer makes it obvious it won't be the D00M movie I expected, but I still see it. Looks great.
lotek

Post by lotek »

it does look like one of those space slasher alien that kills everyone but that talk of paranoïa and such seems to indicate it's not that simple.
Doom wa simple :)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Doom was dumb.
lotek

Post by lotek »

The Rock was a good laugh though :)
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Crysknife wrote:Finally a science fiction movie that delivers?
Not exactly, IMO.
Crysknife wrote: Let me start by saying I didn't know what to expect from this movie because I purposely didn't read too much about it before I went to see it.
Same here. My friend and I were going to see Surrogates, but he recommended this one instead, which I had hardly heard of. I figured they were both bound to be equally as disappointing, so I figured "why not?"
Crysknife wrote:And Quaid gives a good performance that actually added to the film, which I can't say about all of his movies.
Couldn't disagree with your more. I normally like Dennis Quaid (Frequency, anyone? :P) but I found him really dull in this one. However, I blame the director for this. Even Ben Foster is a great actor, but could have handled the role better.

All in all, Space Zombies was pretty mediocre. The premise was fantastic. 60,000 people on the way to a new world because of a doomed and overpopulated Earth? Love it. But the execution was poor. The creatures on the ship got to be really boring after a while, although some of the makeup was very cool. And what's with the glowing bow-staffs? They seemed to tribal/primitive to all have matching staffs that seem to have been manufactured by someone intelligent.

The entire first act moved at a very awkward pace. There was too much tense music, which didn't really seem called-for. It would have been better to have little-to-no score for the entire first act, then bringing in the tense bits when something tense was actually going on. I did quite enjoy Ben Foster's initial stumbling around trying to figure things out, before Quaid wakes up. The flashbacks early on in the film were also awkward and I could see them coming just by the way the characters started talking. I did find the ending to be pretty satisfying.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

But that's exactly why Quaid was perfect for this role, and why he did a great job of it. They didn't over-do his part,and he was cast to fit the situation. What do we normally expect from a Quaid character?

Perfect.

I can't say I liked "Frequency" all that much, but he was in one of my favorie movies of all time: "Enemy Mine".
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Frequency was the father-son communing across time by ham radio, right? Ugh. :( )
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

A guilty pleasure of mine, I suppose.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

You could pick far worse Dennis Quaid movies, such as Innerspace, Dragonheart, Jaws 3D, etc... but I really liked him as Gordon Cooper in The Right Stuff.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

innerspace was funny in its kiddie way, but dragonheart... :puke:

i didn't even know there was a jaws 3d
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:i didn't even know there was a jaws 3d
You were better off not knowing.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Oh man, let's not forget the movie that gave me many nightmares as a kid, "Dreamscape".

I think I had to sleep in my parent's room for a month after that.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Crysknife wrote:Oh man, let's not forget the movie that gave me many nightmares as a kid, "Dreamscape".

I think I had to sleep in my parent's room for a month after that.
I loved that one!
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:i didn't even know there was a jaws 3d
You were better off not knowing.
yeah thanks :?
n
now my google compulsion won't let me rest until i've checked it out... :mrgreen:

edit: and Dreamscape was real good(at least i liked it as a teen)
trang

Post by trang »

I read the reviews and said it was another "event horizan" pretty much lost interest after that.

Dennis quaid is cool, liked him in his roles for the most part from the early "breaking away"(kick ass movie by the way) to goodness gracious " Great Balls of Fire", to Doc Holiday in "Wyatt Earp" on and on.

"Everybodys All American" and "Any Given Sunday" "Dreamscape"
"Frequency", "The Rookie", "Enemy Mine", "The Big Easy", "The Day After Tomorrow",
"Flight of the Phoniex" "The Right Stuff", All Pretty dang good.

"Jaws 3D" and "Innerspace" were ones ya like to forget

Dragonheart was dopey, but kids liked it at the time, so kind liked it.

Had not thought about Dennis Quaid in a while, and looking at his filmography, surprised how many if not all the films I have seen.. pretty varied career I would say.

I still love his brother Randy Quaid.. cracks me up in "CaddyShack 2" as Peter Blunt and his system of law...

"Well, you certainly made it very clear how your legal system works Mr. Young. Now, I'd like to explain a little bit about the Peter Blunt system. You see, I don't go in for lawsuits and motions or any of the legal stuff. No, no, you see what happens is, uh, I find out where you live and then I come to your house, see? And, I beat down your door with a fu**ing baseball bat! And, then I'm gonna make a bonfire with the Chipendale. Maybe roast that Golden Retriever, woof, woof, woof, woof, woof, woof, woof, then eat it! And, then I'm coming upstairs, junior, and I'm gonna grab you by your Brooks Bros. P.J.s, and then I'm gonna take your brand new B.M.W., and cram it up your tight ass! Do we have an understanding!?"

Also as the brother in-law in the NL Vaction movies.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Caddyshack 2 is sacrelidge. :x
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

Freakzilla wrote:Caddyshack 2 is sacrelidge. :x
Agree for the most part, just had couple spots were I acutally LOL:)

Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Doesn't look good for future sci-fi movies:

http://www.scificool.com/surrogates-and ... or-sci-fi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, PARAMOUNT, listen up! :angry-screaming:

Pull the Dune plug already! :lol:
trang

Post by trang »

hmm lets look at some numbers:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1980 to 2009 - 29 years of Box Office Earnings.. only 5 years with a overall yearly loss....hmm

29 years of movies... 19 of those years the top grossing movie was Sci-Fi/Fantasy related.

The past 10 years... all top movies have been Sci-fi/fantasy.. 5 of which actual Sci-fi, with only 1 year with a loss.

who ever wrote that article is dim whitted. The dozen or more sci-fi movies released, the majority hit bank, with a handful at the top of the heap.

I am always dumfounded when I talk with friends, coworkers, and generally how people make that "face" when ever you mention Sci-fi and movies, yt they rush to theatres and see the dam things. Majority of the populas are sci-fi fans and they dont even know it, or wont admit it.

Now if your going to way in on Quality, Depth, Story, Character and World Building.. well thats a whole other argument.

Studios want bank, they are getting bank, and will continue to with SCI-FI, the numbers speak for themselves.

A couple of under performing films is not the torpedo for the genre of movies.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:(

:idea:

HEY, PARAMOUNT, DON'T LISTEN TO REASON! PULL THE PLUG ALREADY!!! :angry-screaming:

:D
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I don't think it's that simple. We want variety and Pandorum was such a film that didn't quite fit. I think we'll see a drop off in original story lines while franchise movies will carry the sci-fi load for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure Terminator or Alien would do well in this movie environment.