Humor

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Humor

Post by SandChigger »

Reminds me of that great episode from West Wing. :)
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Freakzilla wrote:3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
That's all well and good, but I would like to know the answers to these questions, because that is always awkward. It tends to be a conversation-killer because it's a bit of a faux pas.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

merkin muffley wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
That's all well and good, but I would like to know the answers to these questions, because that is always awkward. It tends to be a conversation-killer because it's a bit of a faux pas.
Or, you could just say "fuck it" and get your red-wings, like a real man. :wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Omphalos wrote:Or, you could just say "fuck it" and get your red-wings, like a real man. :wink:
Red wings, I believe, were first mentioned in Dante, not the Bible, and are technically non-canon even though they are part of the religious practices of many Christians. In the 9th circle of Hell, Satan gets his red wings.
lotek

Post by lotek »

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
Well touching a football with your hands is a foul, the sport equivalent of the sin(that is you're only punished for it unless you get caught), so you shouldn't need gloves(unless you're the goal keeper!)

Huh?
Wassat?
Football?

Yeah...
Foot
Ball!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

merkin muffley wrote:
This question is actually a bit of a fallacy, considering it's not a case of asking a random woman on a night out. Under the law 'contact with a woman' was only for married couples, no?
Exodus 20:14 wrote:14 “You must not commit adultery.
I would actually like to see a Jewish perspective on these questions; could be interesting...

Anyway, back to humor!
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SadisticCynic wrote:This question is actually a bit of a fallacy, considering it's not a case of asking a random woman on a night out.
Shit! I knew I was going wrong somewhere! This is why I wanted to hear Dr. Laura's answers.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

merkin muffley wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Or, you could just say "fuck it" and get your red-wings, like a real man. :wink:
Red wings, I believe, were first mentioned in Dante, not the Bible, and are technically non-canon even though they are part of the religious practices of many Christians. In the 9th circle of Hell, Satan gets his red wings.
Satan should be so lucky.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

merkin muffley wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:This question is actually a bit of a fallacy, considering it's not a case of asking a random woman on a night out.
Shit! I knew I was going wrong somewhere! This is why I wanted to hear Dr. Laura's answers.
Sorry, I meant Question 3, not your comment (you know, I almost typed 'you're' just then; I need some disinfectant :) ).
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SadisticCynic wrote:I meant Question 3, not your comment
Oh, I know, I was just really getting involved with the menstruation humor, for some reason.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Tent-Novel-An ... 0312427298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I've been trapped in that tent before. It can get scary in there.

Goodnight Golden Path!
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Ah yes! Menses. There is no greater pleasure than a revulsion overcome.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

From the Editorial Reviews:
"Like any sisters who live together and share a husband, my mother and aunties spun a sticky web of loyalties and grudges," Anita Diamant writes in the voice of Dinah. "They traded secrets like bracelets, and these were handed down to me the only surviving girl. They told me things I was too young to hear. They held my face between their hands and made me swear to remember." Remembering women's earthy stories and passionate history is indeed the theme of this magnificent book. In fact, it's been said that The Red Tent is what the Bible might have been had it been written by God's daughters, instead of her sons. --Gail Hudson --This text refers to an alternate Paperback edition.
Smooth, eh? :)
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SadisticCynic wrote:
written by God's daughters, instead of her sons. --Gail Hudson
Smooth, eh? :)
High Five, Gail! :dance:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

God being female would explain a lot about the universe, actually. :roll:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:God being female would explain a lot about the universe, actually. :roll:
Really? I think God being a giant magic 8-ball would really explain some stuff.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's just your personal perspective, from being behind one all the time. :P
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

:shock:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote: :shock:
Oh, goody! Haven't lost the knack of shocking Da Thang! :lol:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote: :shock:
Oh, goody! Haven't lost the knack of shocking Da Thang! :lol:
That sounded waaay too sexual for my brain to want to comprehend.

:handgestures-thumbupright:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tleszer wrote:That sounded waaay too sexual for my brain to want to comprehend.
Oh, goody! Haven't lost the knack of titillating Da Tleszer! :lol:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Famous Insults from Mom:

The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor:

She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison."

He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease."
"That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second.... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others." - Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." - Charles, Count Talleyrand

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" - Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.." - Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:lol: Brilliant!

Especially:
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow
Some of Mark Twain's are pretty good as well; I like the one about the envelope.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

My personal favourite:
"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas
Did a mental double-take first time I read it. Fantastic.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks