Everybody Hates Keith

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Ampoliros

Re: Everybody Hates Keith

Post by Ampoliros »

my imagination was ready to go back to the Seven Suns universe. (The hard part was creating an even bigger cosmic threat…I didn’t want the level of Spectacular to go down. I think I’ve got a very intriguing idea for the basic conflict, plus dozens of side stories and interesting characters.)
Bullshit Kev. The superweapon/race/ulltra-whatever-threat was what you thought of first, and since you can't write in Star Wars anymore you have to write in the Saggy Suns universe.

I'm surprised someone is letting you go there again.

I'll say it again, the perfect job for Keith would be writing 30 min cartoon series or tv shows. His best work so far imho was the Tales of the Jedi graphic novels, and that's because he had someone adding in all the parts he left out with a paintbrush, and couldn't repeat himself every other page.

Oh and I've studied Magical Realism and his writing is not in that genre. I'm betting he thinks magical realism is modern-day fantasy.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I figured the master of punctuality is running short of deadlines to meet and, having no other sandboxes, is forced to exceed his own super-ultra with what he hopes is mega-super-ultra. It must suck for him.

'US negotiations continue...'
Now there's an episode i'd like to see Sandrider do in 3-D!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
lotek

Post by lotek »

or not :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Bobo's little chapbook project will not shift more than 20 copies.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah. Sounds like a real mover, huh?

(Is this one Print On Demand, too? :laughing-rolling: )

Has anyone here read all of the S7S shit? :?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

SandChigger wrote:Yeah. Sounds like a real mover, huh?

(Is this one Print On Demand, too? :laughing-rolling: )

Has anyone here read all of the S7S shit? :?
I once saw all seven books in the store, but I don't think that counts.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, not really. But I'd still go have myself checked for dangerous stupidity exposure (measured in kJa/h), if I were you. ;)

:lol:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I've read all the 1-star reviews for S7S, does that count?
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Reading and listening to interviews about it is as close as I ever want to get!
And i'd rather not do that again!
It's bad enough that I forced myself to read as much mcDune as I could, i've no plan to waste time on a book that I know will disappoint. Before coming here I really thought that I was the only one who saw nuDune was printed with shit. After so much time spent in pleasant contemplation of Dune, I was a mindless thing drawn to the hope of getting more of the same- untill Pole of Dude. Screw those guys for what they've done! Mc Dune has fucked with my life and they profited by it! No, I haven't read the sorry seven. I've read mcDune and i've read bits from other efforts and based on this, I feel offended by anyone who would call me prejudiced. Are you going to tell me that there's better shit on the other side of the pile? Yeah,i'm a hater! I'm a hater because I hate that shit! These greedy hacks take my money and piss all over one of the best things i've read and then call me a talifan for not liking it? If ever either of them had the potential to write something worthy, 14evin squandered it on making himself believe he was too cool to edit it.
Last edited by D Pope on 21 Mar 2011 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

D Pope wrote:nuDune was printed with shit.
Yeah, that's a revolutionary new process brought to you by

It fixes the feces to the page in such a way that the stink emerges only in your mind as you read it. ;)
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandChigger wrote:Like Water for Quarkslet?

How fucking original! And oh so clever! :roll:
For fucksakes. Like Water for Quarks Shitfuck. :roll:

it's not magic realism.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:Has anyone here read all of the S7S shit? :?
Nope. Started reading the first one, and couldn't get into it. It was dire.

I'm surprised that the UK publishers jumped on this. Either KJA sells pretty well in the UK (hard to believe given the scathing reviews on AMazon), or UK publishers make higher margins and so can afford to publish books at lower print runs.

:think:

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I imagine it much more formulaic than that; remember we're talking about a book manufacturer here, not an author. They know they can reasonable make X off of a trilogy, with Y cost to produce, from a manufacturer guaranteed to deliver on time.

KJA is about as absolute as you can get to a Quantity over Quality equation. He'll hike the trilogy out in a few weeks, watch a couple token DVD's to edit, spend a weekend at the cabin for polish, and whammo, trilogy.

If we're lucky we might get a couple of twats about 'effete British editors'.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I doubt they jumped on it, Jack.
I'm betting that the publisher decided the best way to make him go away took the form of an insultingly low offer, which 14evin jumped on. I'll also bet that this option hasn't occured to the US publishers OR 14evin took the low offer to use as a barganing chip saying, 'see, the UK knows when they're on to something good!'
-Omphalos
Sev

Post by Sev »

One thing I've noticed recently on some of Keith's bio's is this quote:
Kevin's solo work has garnered wide critical acclaim; for example, Climbing Olympus was voted the best paperback SF novel of 1995 by Locus Magazine

Now Climbing Olympus is the only KJA I've read, apart from the House Trilogy, and it's O.K., nothing special but certainly better than McDune - but it certainly DID NOT get voted best SF novel of 1995 by Locus Magazine.

Evidence:

Now, unless my eyes deceive me, Climbing Olympus is next to the number 24 - not the number 1

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Maybe it was the only Paperback on the list.
Sev

Post by Sev »

Didn't think of that at the time, who would be that bloody devious? :doh:

After checking, got down to #15 before I found one that was a paperback original - so he's still a blatant liar in my book.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Wow, nicely done - we need to get that evidence in his face immediately.. somehow. Somewhere all his little followers can see it too.

What an absolute loser this guy is.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nice suck-suck 4-star "review" by KJASF brain-trust Pussstir DickPillle on that one on Amazon, from 2009:
As a kid, I always wondered what it would be like on Mars. This book gave me a good idea.

The storyline of a possible community on the red planet made me wonder again if it could happen in my lifetime.

This story moves quite well and deals with some human emotion as well as science. It even gives a miracle or two. I hope that Kevin J. Anderson revisits this story in the future.

I would recommend this one for all Sci-Fi fans.
Well, if there weren't a "miracle or two", it wouldn't be Anderson, no? :roll: This one from Michel sounds more accurate, based on what I've seen of The Hack's "work":
CO could have been much much better since the plot line is brilliant and the setting is sumptuous. It would have been enough to make Adins and Dvas genetically modified so that they were able to pass down their genes to their children to get a magnificent environment with three races, Adins, Dvas, and Humans, vying for controlling Mars. All those ingredients well blended could have made a prodigious epic, the magnitude of Dune, indeed. Alas KJA is not F. Herbert and a large part of the story is about the past of the protagonists, past spent on Earth. Remembrance poisons the story and ends up in weakening the plot. KJA had gold in his hands and changed it into... aluminium.
That's al-yoo-min-ee-um, mind you! :clap:

This from his Wikipedia page:
Awards

- Blindfold: 1996 preliminary Nebula Award nominee
- Resurrection Inc.: nominated for Bram Stoker Award
- Ground Zero: #1 on The Sunday Times best seller list and voted "Best Science Fiction Novel of 1995" by readers of SFX magazine
- Guinness World Record for "Largest Single Author Signing" (previously set by General Colin Powell and Howard Stern)
- Novels with Beason: nominated for the Nebula Award and the American Physical Society's "Forum" award
- Ruins: on the New York Times best seller list (The first X-Files novel to do so) and voted the "Best Science Fiction Novel of 1996"
- Young Jedi Knights Series: New York Times best sellers, winner of 1999 Golden Duck Award (middle grades) for excellence in science fiction.
Looks like we need some clean-up in Aisle Hack. :roll:

Getting in the Guinness book is an award? Which novels with Beason? Ruins was voted best in 1996 by ... whom?

I'm seeing one award (Golden Duck) and some fan-voted bests. Am I missing something? :think:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Wow, nicely done - we need to get that evidence in his face immediately.. somehow. Somewhere all his little followers can see it too.

What an absolute loser this guy is.
I think right here is the right spot ... we know many visitors come to the Sietch.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah, you're missing an ego that considers "pretenders" not to count, so you can just bump your own books up to the top.

Show it to Conway. He's Dr. Numbers, maybe he can figure it out.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

This Golden Duck thing needs to be put into perspective;
Eleanor Cameron Award for Middle Grades
Given for books written for grades 2 to 6.

Kudos for his actually winning an award but even 14evin thinks the 'Golden Duck' sounds better than this.
So first, his Jedi Knights book is intended for 7 to 12 year olds. Second, and i'm not sure how to put this delicately, his fellow Duck winners aren't exactly tearing up the genre.
Super-Con-Duck-Tivity, a non-profit (501(c)3) organization that is known for creating and administering the Golden Duck Awards, doesn't share much about how the winners are chosen. I can't find more than how they have a P.O. box & may or may not employ 10 to 19 people.

to summarize; he hit it big with a local Chicago parents group twelve years ago.

http://www.goldenduck.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.duckon.org/GoldenDuck/MiddleGrades.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Omphalos
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

D Pope wrote:This Golden Duck thing needs to be put into perspective;
Eleanor Cameron Award for Middle Grades
Given for books written for grades 2 to 6.

Kudos for his actually winning an award but even 14evin thinks the 'Golden Duck' sounds better than this.
So first, his Jedi Knights book is intended for 7 to 12 year olds. Second, and i'm not sure how to put this delicately, his fellow Duck winners aren't exactly tearing up the genre.
Super-Con-Duck-Tivity, a non-profit (501(c)3) organization that is known for creating and administering the Golden Duck Awards, doesn't share much about how the winners are chosen. I can't find more than how they have a P.O. box & may or may not employ 10 to 19 people.

to summarize; he hit it big with a local Chicago parents group twelve years ago.

http://www.goldenduck.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.duckon.org/GoldenDuck/MiddleGrades.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:doh:

Well, we've been saying for a while that his books are written for ADDled teens... :shifty:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Good research, Sev. Personally, I think the cookie machine should get started ... :whistle:

And Kevin J. Anderson is a flat-out liar. So add that to the list of his endearing features. What a tool.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.