The South Will Rise Again ....

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: The South Will Rise Again ....

Post by SandRider »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Not really on topic, but anyhoo ...

http://xkcd.com/787/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HBJ
thankee!

if I could get one of you graphic-whiz kids (Seltzer? lojack?) to cram all the windturbine panels into a little gif,
that'd definitely be in my sig from time to time ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Ken Burns is a little pussyfart, but I have to admit "The Civil War" was a great series. Part of the reason it was so good is Shelby Foote. He might be my favorite thing about that documentary.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:Part of the reason it was so good is Shelby Foote. He might be my favorite thing about that documentary.
I love his beard.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

the only thing important about the Ken Burns series was that it brought Shelby to more national prominence;
it's about the only video interview he ever did; the only reason the Ken Burns show seems important was
the relentless promotion by PBS and NPR, generating a large viewing audience in the original run and re-runs ....

other than Shelby and a few other worthwhile interviews w/ leading historians of the time (not including
William C. Davis, the KJA of Civil War Academia) the Ken Burns series was nothing more than a Matthew Brady
slideshow, set to questionable music ...
ImageImage

Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

SandRider wrote:the only thing important about the Ken Burns series was that it brought Shelby to more national prominence;
it's about the only video interview he ever did; the only reason the Ken Burns show seems important was
the relentless promotion by PBS and NPR, generating a large viewing audience in the original run and re-runs ....

other than Shelby and a few other worthwhile interviews w/ leading historians of the time (not including
William C. Davis, the KJA of Civil War Academia) the Ken Burns series was nothing more than a Matthew Brady
I will have to vehemently disagree with your assessment, but really, I don't feel compelled to convince otherwise. I just wanted to use the word "vehement". ;)

Seriously though, I was very much emotionally engaged by the mini. I liked the music and the interviews and the letters and such. Maybe it was the hoopla that surrounded it that grates against you? (although to be honest I don't remember any sort of marketing campaign for it. It pretty much took everybody by surprise, at least in my world it did).
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Spicelon wrote:I just wanted to use the word "vehement". ;)
:lol: There are words which at times compel us to use them, just to savor the taste of them on the (mental) tongue. It's a good word, and a good day for it. :P
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

SandChigger wrote:
Spicelon wrote:I just wanted to use the word "vehement". ;)
:lol: There are words which at times compel us to use them, just to savor the taste of them on the (mental) tongue. It's a good word, and a good day for it. :P
Why thankee! Although, there certainly wasn't much vehemence to my reply, other than my stating it. I simply cannot coordinate thought and action today.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Pshaw!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Spicelon wrote:
SandRider wrote:the only thing important about the Ken Burns series was that it brought Shelby to more national prominence;

I will have to vehemently disagree with your assessment, but really, I don't feel compelled to convince otherwise. I just wanted to use the word "vehement". ;)

Seriously though, I was very much emotionally engaged by the mini. I liked the music and the interviews and the letters and such. Maybe it was the hoopla that surrounded it that grates against you? (although to be honest I don't remember any sort of marketing campaign for it. It pretty much took everybody by surprise, at least in my world it did).
I'm nostalgic about it. I think I was in Junior High School, growing up in Gettysburg, when it came out. I'm pretty jaded about Ken Burns (can't stand him, in fact) but I still have a soft spot for the Civil War Series. And Voltron.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

average Public's trip thru an encampment;
this is why I hate the Fuckers and say things like:
No, get the fuck outtta my camp and I dunno, lessee if'n it's sharp ...
or park exit's thattaway, folks and Look here, dude, I don't give a flying fuck about your opinion on slavery and The War;
carry your bitch-ass over to the Victorian Ladies' Tea Party afore I put these spurs up in your butt ....

ImageImage

cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

E. LeGuille wrote:If the South had won the war...uth.
If the South had won, you all would be discussing What if the North had won the war; :)
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

that's the smartest goddamn thing I've heard in a long time ...

I think I'll use that for some SCV camp T-shirts ...

[edit]
and carlos get cookie:
:cookie sm:
[/edit]
ImageImage

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I think I had intended to keep all my ghafla ramblings about my other hobby
here in this thread, but .... anyway, re-post from another thread ...
I'm leaving for Fort McKavett about dawn; they're doing a sesquicentennial event a little early,
re-enacting Ben McCullough's rangers riding into to the fort to take control after General
Twiggs surrendered all the federal forts to the "Army of Texas" - which right then and there
was really just Ben & his rangers, and the boys in the US army who quit and formed up militia
units, until the CS army got more organized - that's one of the things they're doing too,
about 2pm tomorrow afternoon the boys portraying the rangers will change into brown
jeancloth unirforms and there will be a ceremony organizing them into the CS army as
the First Texas Cavalry - historically then, the First Texas Cav was there at McKavett
until 1862 when then went with General Sibley to get their asses handed to them up
in northern New Mexico Territory ... the 7th Texas Cavalry & Frontier Guard then
occupied the fort until the end of the war, and it was used as a POW camp for
Union boys from late 1863 on ... that is the time period they want to really re-enact
bigtime next year, sometime before the Liendo Plantation event the week before
Thanksgiving ... so this is a minor event, and really sorta hardcore - the boys
that are being Ben's Rangers are tonight down on the banks of the San Saba River,
a few miles from the fort, sleeping on the rocks with nothing but a bedroll, if that -
most of 'em are probably just rolled up in their dusters ... and the (relative) cold front
came thru this afternoon - it's about 40 out right now, wind blowing colder and it's
damp, too ...

and the event is "early" in the sequence of events- South Carolina won't secede until December,
Texas will secede on February 2, and Twiggs will turn over the forts on Feb. 13 ...(there is a
yearly re-enactment of this in front of the alamo, of course, next year's will be much bigger) ...

but McKavett's annual "Muster" is in March, and has always been an "Indian War Period" event;
this fort is also one that was turned over from State Parks to the Texas Historical Commission (THC)
(yes, I know ...) and the Historical Commission wants all their sites to have two major events a year -
since the sesquicentennial of The War is just starting, and since McKavett had a very re-enactable
role during the War, they think they're going to have the regular Buffalo Soldier event in March and
a Civil War event in November for the next four years, and then figger something else out ....

I'm going to show up dressed as a civilian and loudly oppose secession and the jackasses that're trying
to drag us into this unnecessary war; I expect several altercations involving walking sticks and possibly
sabers, and I also expect to be shot dead in front of Officer's Quarters Number One by Ben McCullough hisself ...
and I was gonna give y'all an after-action report on how fucking AWESOME this event was,
"Awesome" here used in the correct sense and not in tehKJA-sense... but now I don't
care and I'm way behind in other stuff -

leaving for Liendo Plantation in the morning, and have a number of loose ends to tie up;
like all of them ...
ImageImage

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I will be gone for the next three to six weeks on the Spring Campaign;
I am only posting this because either last year or the year before
when I did the big-ass Fall Campaign, y'all thought I'd died ....

no such fucking luck ....

three to six weeks because I have two sets of encampments
to be stretched over 7 events, and I may or not return here
(home) during the week and a half in between .... depends
on my health, the state of spring cotton, how many cows the
mexicans kill while I'm gone, & etc.

I may or may not commandeer someone's innerwebz device
during that time and check in here @ the sietch ...

May the God of Your Choice Bless and Keep You.
ImageImage

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandRider wrote:I will be gone for the next three to six weeks on the Spring Campaign ...
Go, South!

I have a feeling this is your year. This time, it's y'all that will win this thing.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Have fun, Rider!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Have fun and take good care of yourself.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Go in haste and return at leisure!

(No, wait, that didn't come out right, did it? ... TAKE CARE!)

:shifty:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Have a great time.

(And thanks for letting us know; we were genuinely worried last time)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Fare well Rider, keep your socks dry and shoot a yank for me! :D
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Have fun, SR, and beware the ghost of Bob Wills. If you say his name three times by campfire he shows up and you have to have a conversation with him.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Be sure to watch yer cornhole!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SR, show them bastards what for!