The C.E.T. meets in Hawai'i. Deal with it.

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Demerzel

Re: The C.E.T. meets in Hawai'i. Deal with it.

Post by Demerzel »

This is one of the cleverest things I've read in a while.
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And in just a few months we'll finally have an answer: will the dumbasses retcon around it with some totally lame bullshit or...

Nah, we know that's what they'll do! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

They'll have the CET on the Moon (assuming they even remember that the Earth is radioactive from their previous books).

Place your bets.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

^ Yeah they'll do that with the seemingly clever logic that 'now, to us of the 10k planets, a satellite is merely an island'.
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Money down on this: They will construct a submersible lead (thus radioactivity proof) island that raises only to receive ships and to broadcast that the "old cranks" have come to an agreement. This way they will be able to cross Herbert with Verne, and will usher in a recurring theme to be used with future "Dune" books; literary mash-ups.

That oughta get the critics chirping, no?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Demerzel wrote:^ Yeah they'll do that with the seemingly clever logic that 'now, to us of the 10k planets, a satellite is merely an island'.
And it's neutral because nobody owns the Moon.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Now that we know the CET took place on Hawaii, we can rethink our understanding of the name "Bene Gesserit". While we know the latin meaning is roughly "good behavior", this site (http://baheyeldin.com/literature/arabic ... -dune.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) describes the Arabic meaning of "Bene Gesserit" as being "Sons of the Island/Peninsula." We also know that the BG revere the OC Bible, although we don't know exactly in what capacity. As it happens, "bene" is also used for "children/descendents of", and although it literally implies masculinity it can really mean both sexes.

So - 'children of the island', and a group that routinely mentions the OC Bible? My guess is the BG came to be in response to or in direct derivation from the work of the CET on Hawaii. If this is so, it would give us a greater insight into the BG core philosophies, since we'd be able to assume that any contents of the OC Bible reflect their moral/cultural views. We might even wonder whether some of the scholars participating in the CET were part of the founding of the BG school.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

georgiedenbro wrote:We also know that the BG revere the OC Bible, although we don't know exactly in what capacity.
Revere?
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Freakzilla wrote:
georgiedenbro wrote:We also know that the BG revere the OC Bible, although we don't know exactly in what capacity.
Revere?
I would say so, no? They quote from it frequently, Wanna had a favorite passage from it. We don't really know how central it was to their beliefs, rather than just being a common cultural reference that they were familiar with, but they seem to refer to it more often than to any other source of wisdom other than their own creeds. Coming from a group like the BG, being quoted is at the very least high praise if we consider 'reverence' to be too strong a term. I'll do more thinking about this at some point and try to see if there's more to it.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

The BG do not revere the OC Bible, it is just another tool they use maintain control over populations, just like the Missionaria Protectivia. Naturally they have to be familiar with it in order to use it to control people. It is not unusual for people to like bits of scripture even if they vehemently disagree with the beliefs. You are selecting evidence to support your ideas and not basing them on what Frank did or did not write. For many things, there are just no clues and to make such statements and couching them in a way as to say they are fact is a massive slippery slope. You need to seperate what Frank actually wrote/said from your thoughts and interpretations. SandChigger was good at that, go back and read his language postings to see how it's done.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Robspierre wrote:The BG do not revere the OC Bible, it is just another tool they use maintain control over populations, just like the Missionaria Protectivia. Naturally they have to be familiar with it in order to use it to control people. It is not unusual for people to like bits of scripture even if they vehemently disagree with the beliefs. You are selecting evidence to support your ideas and not basing them on what Frank did or did not write. For many things, there are just no clues and to make such statements and couching them in a way as to say they are fact is a massive slippery slope. You need to seperate what Frank actually wrote/said from your thoughts and interpretations. SandChigger was good at that, go back and read his language postings to see how it's done.
I was suggesting a possibility for further thought, not making a claim of fact. I do think sometimes one must begin with a theory and then look for evidence for and against it, because at times the scraps of evidence alone don't necessarily suggest a larger pattern. And so the imagination jumps in and yet must still be tempered by reason. In any event my suggestion here is refuted:
Dune Appendix II wrote:Hesitantly, the leaders of religions whose followers had spilled the blood
of billions began meeting to exchange views. It was a move encouraged by the
Spacing Guild, which was beginning to build its monopoly over all interstellar
travel, and by the Bene Gesserit who were banding the sorceresses.
Obviously the BG existed in some form prior to the CET, and certainly prior to the finalization of the OC Bible. What the OC Bible did or did not eventually mean to them is something I intend to consider carefully going forward, and in a new thread. I still find "sons of the island" to be an interesting phrase, but it may be an irrelevant coincidence; the Latin translation of their name may be the good one to look at.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Consider that FH had a home in Hawaii.
~Pink Snowman