E. LeGuille

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

E. LeGuille

E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Hello, everyone!

I am an avid fan of Frank Herbert. I was able to see the Dino De Laurentiis production long, long ago when I was just a kid. I am born only 6 months after his death, and I find it sad that I would never get to meet him in person. So, my best way was to read his writings.

I read it like a canvas of unlimited proportions is drawn before us in Dune. I read his ideas of ecology, religions, and social structure in society deeply, and found it to be astonishing the ideas he introduced even then. A war over the spice melange; No, perhaps it was the analogy to oil that got me so intrigued in his writing. I discovered some thing about FH that basically asserted that everything revolves around oil, and the worship of it would be the downfall of those who worship it. B

But then the Messiah complex tackled in the following book, also showed how following someone completely could endanger the people, and if someone was to realize what tragedies they had wrought, then I believe it would have been appropriate as Paul did, and try to destroy the religion created in his visage, as done in Children.

The sacrifice Leto II made, however, was above and beyond what any leader could do, or would do. A reset switch on humanity, with a babysitter making sure that 3500 years of cleansing would take place.

And of course it goes on and on. But I lost hope when I found there was nothing after Chaterhouse. When I found out at 15, that KJA and BH had written more, I was estatic! Nevermind the fairytale optimistic... ending. It was well within what I expected. But let me state some serious issues I have with some things...

I do not believe it is right to write inside of his original work, and that is my major confliction with the new series.
I am not a KJA hater. I am a member of his Special Forces. Like it or not, I do like KJA. But as Frank has said throughout his books, you can't follow someone blindly. Not everything KJA has done, has been inspiring. This latest addition to the series... I can't read it. I'm sorry.

Special Forces member. But I love your guys' take on Dune. I wish I could belong to both these worlds, but I am sure someone somewhere is going to have an issue with my membership choices.

I hope to get to know some of you while I am here.
Long Live the Fighters.
lotek

Re: E. LeGuille

Post by lotek »

well you admit to it, and i think that people here will respect that first hand

as you can see(aside from the usual internet banter)there are living dune encyclopedias here and their critics and attacks are always backed up by facts and logical reasoning

As for me i like to be able to debate in a formal manner, arguing is a good way to afine your line of thought, but it has proven difficult with the SpecFor people apparently...

Anyway welcome here, hope everything will go smoothly :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi E. LeGuille :)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I see a head in your avatar.
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Ha ha, yeah. I see it now that you say something. Perhaps next month I will have something else with a face in it.
Long Live the Fighters.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Speak of the devil... :D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Welcome to the jungle. I felt similarly about the BH/KJA books for a while. Sandworms is where i first got truly upset with the way they were treating the originals. So welcome to the most knowledgeable group of Dune fans on the internet.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

E. LeGuille wrote:Special Forces member. But I love your guys' take on Dune. I wish I could belong to both these worlds, but I am sure someone somewhere is going to have an issue with my membership choices.
Nobody's perfect. :wink:

You're free to like any author you want.

I can appreciate both Gone With the Wind and Spider-man as entertainment. But one is a classic and one is eye candy.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

hi.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

E. LeGuille wrote:Special Forces member.
Well, at least you're up-front about it and not here to lead everyone on a three-week dance that ends right where it started.

(Has that other guy technically even acknowledged that he's a Treehouse member? If you read his posts carefully (both here and Amazon), I don't think he truly has).

Anyway, you're free to read whomever you want, of course. The only warning I'll throw out there is to be careful when mixing your Dune with your McDune — you'll get called on it pretty quickly and asked to explain some gigantic inconsistencies introduced by Keith and Bobo.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome - you'll do fine. I'm surprised that you didn't find Hunters and Sandworms MORE intrusive than the ones they are currently writing (what could be more intrusive than completely undermining everything FH said?), but your opinion is your own.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Welcome. Feel free to like what you like.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It's amazing how civilized we can by when someone cordially introduces themselves instead of coming out swinging, no?

:D
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Indeed. We have to wait for the other half of the world to get some sunlight though, then we'll see if something really amazing happens. :wink:
trang

Post by trang »

Well Met and Welcome! Most excellent Introduction!

While you visit and catch up on some of the previous posts, I believe you (like anyone who took the time could) will find that the OH/Jacurutu folks are not against people who like KJA or McDune. It is first and foremost about discussion of the original Dune and related things.

Points of contention are their books and what they are doing to the original storyline and the outright falsehoods perveyed by both KJA and Brian Herbert.

If you choose to like KJA/BH books, more power too ya. If you like KJAs' other stuff, more power to ya.

I own and have read every letter of the new Dune Books, with exception of WOD (have Audio version, just havent got around to it yet) and IMHO are terrible works and do nothing for DUNE, an opinion evolved over the past few years.

I had no idea they had even written any books (have been reading originals over the years since age 9 or so). A friend told me about it, and I dived in head first obtaining and reading each one from legends, house, hunters and sandworms, POD and now working to WOD. They get progessivly worse each read. Hunters and Sandworms are mind boggling stupid, and POD is quite literally the worst book I have ever read in my life. Why do I read? to be educated for the discussions that arise.

Enjoy!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

trang wrote:POD is quite literally the worst book I have ever read in my life.
WOW. :shock:
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Welcome to Jacurutu, E. LeGuille.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Heya there E. LeGuille. Your introduction is like Snakes on a Plane, an unabashedly simple declaration of exactly what to expect. After a recent influx of "bad Hollywood films" to the boards, you're coming "as advertised" is no doubt an welcome change of pace. At least no one can say you don't have your work cut out for ya ;)

Welcome to the forums! :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :)

(I've got the WOD audio as well - tempted to listen to it after I've listened to DM... probably just listen to COD though :))
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Okay, so you like KJA, but not NuDune? Okay cool, whatever. Hey.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Welcome.
All Your Water are now Belong to Us.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:All Your Water are now Belong to Us.
Instant classic!
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

trang wrote:Hunters and Sandworms are mind boggling stupid, and POD is quite literally the worst book I have ever read in my life.
POD was one of the only books I can think of that I started but couldn't finish (the other was Race for God by Phuzzy Pherbert).
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Aina al-ijaba?

To you and yours here and abroad
May all your answers be of no fraud.

I have to ask. Where is the answer? The man who started it.

It's not that I do not like one less than the other, it is that I do not approve at all of writing within the original timeline. If you are writing within a twelve-year gap, that's more or less taking away from the original work. If Frank had wanted something to in between the two books, he would have written about it. Letting the mystery of something be there, is part of the book's glamour. Not everything was explained. That is how Dune worked!

Now, I liked the Legends and House prequels, to a point. And like I said, I got out of them what I expected. And the utopian ending of everyone getting along at the end... I just... come on. Really? In it's own right, maybe that would have worked in something else. I expected almost to be waiting for the Atreides line to be extinguished. I had forseen the use of Paul by the Honored Matres and the Tilaxeu, to breed a ghola of Paul Atreides, and attempt to bring out his Kwisatz Haderach self, under special twisted mentat training. Much like DeVries, I could see the use of Paul becoming a weapon against Duncan Idaho, who would in turn have to turn to seek help from all sorts of enemies and old allies, and possibly re-fashion the Sarduakar under the Ginaz rulebook of combat.

Who knows? I don't know. Paul used as a weapon against the remaining Atreides, would have made more sense. The major part of the book was the idea of the Kwisatz Haderach, and the Bene Tilaxeu breeding. The Bene Tilaxeu having gained cells from paul from Hayt (possible?) would have played more in tune for the books.

Like I said, I got what I expected out of the other books outside of Frank Herbert's.
Long Live the Fighters.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Welcome, twice welcome. :D
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood