Winds of Dune: a complete non-event

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mr. Teg

Re: Winds of Dune: a complete non-event

Post by Mr. Teg »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I have to say, Brian looks deathly ill in that photo with Taz. Geez.

HBJ
The evil inside slowly twists his spirit and form...

"Yes, my precious..."
"Yes, my precious...
"Dad's work is mine!"
"Yes, precious belongs to Mr. Bobo now!
"Argh, the Great Bald Head of Moreadore!"
"Bobo afraid!"
"Bobo feel pain!"
"Don't hurt Bobo..."
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:laughing:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Nebiros wrote:The tour is over but the Dunenovels event list has at the end one solo appearance by Kevin in Colorado. In the blahg he says that both he and Brian have individual appearances. Wonder why DN only advertised Kevin's one appearance.
Too bad none of the effort actually helped sales. I wonder if Tor will even bother spending all of that money next time. All they get out of it is a shit-load of tweets from kja complaining about how terrible everything is.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Jessica's Wind falls to 24th on NY list! :shock:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/books ... ?ref=books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No wonder TheKJA was in damage-control mode earlier this week when he found out: "Second week on the list" is about the safest way to say, "It fell nine spots, it's not even in the part of the list that really counts, and it will be gone for sure next week."

Epic, epic, epic FAIL. The data is out there for anyone to look it up, but I'll save you some time: this PoS is selling much worse than any recent McDune release.

Time to look at that contact again, eh, Tor/McMillen? :lol:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

And a quick follow: the Pauline of Dune paperback debuts at #25:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/books ... bestseller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It'll be gone by next week, too.

Another fail from Hacky and Fuzzy, for great justice.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

with a nice touch of irony as number 2 is
DEAN KOONTZ’S FRANKENSTEIN: DEAD AND ALIVE
:lol:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

This is indeed pleasing. :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

You guys keep saying how much an epic fail Winds is and I agree with you. Sales are much lower than previous New Dune novels meaning that people who were initially fans like myself are growing tired of the series.

However as long as McDune keeps reaching bestseller lists AT ALL, even if it debuts at the very very very bottom of the lists and is only on the list for one week or less, Kevin will continue to have something to brag about. If Throne of Dune does not make it on the NYT bestseller list or on ANY other list, then and only then will Kevin start sounding like he has lost his winning streak.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hmmm. Haven't read it yet.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nebiros wrote:... Kevin will continue to have something to brag about.
Yes, but this doesn't matter. At all.

TheKevin will always distort statistics to make himself sound better. Witness the "has been nominated for or won numerous awards" line that he continually uses ... when the truth is he's never even been nominated for a Hugo and his one Nebula nomination came from a split byline 20 years ago.

The point isn't whether or not KJA will have something to crow about; he'll always find some way to puff himself up. The point is that the series itself is headed toward the Land of Massive Fail, no matter how hard they try to spin it.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

The one book I'll pick up concerning any Dune-entry by these two will be a complete documentation of every inconsistency, outright lie, and marketing fail... Hopefully it'll be written by Chig himself. :)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

well, hello there, Simon !

been here the whole time ?

:teasing-lurk:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
rain_maker

Post by rain_maker »

Redstar wrote:The one book I'll pick up concerning any Dune-entry by these two will be a complete documentation of every inconsistency, outright lie, and marketing fail... Hopefully it'll be written by Chig himself. :)
That I would buy. It could be a three part anthology: The Fail of Dune, The Hack of Dune and The Raping of Dune.
I had no idea that there were this many Frank Herbert fans left alive, what with the head exploding horror that is the KJA/BH atrocity.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

The HLP WoD is already dripping at #24 down from #15!
:lol:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

rain_maker wrote:
Redstar wrote:The one book I'll pick up concerning any Dune-entry by these two will be a complete documentation of every inconsistency, outright lie, and marketing fail... Hopefully it'll be written by Chig himself. :)
That I would buy. It could be a three part anthology: The Fail of Dune, The Hack of Dune and The Raping of Dune.
Inconsistancies of Dune, Contradictions of Dune, Bullshit of Dune
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I still like Pretenders of Dune if it's to be a serious, documentary-style book
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I suppose the sales were going to fall as CombOver's fanbase gradually entered puberty.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

ZING! :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:lol: Brilliant!
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

reposting this here although it seems like Amazon is done with deletions atm:
Ampoliros' Amazon Review wrote: This is how your review will appear:

1.0 out of 5 stars Where to begin..., August 25, 2009
By C. Carter Holland "Ampoliros" (Tejas) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
To begin: To anyone who follows the discussion threads, you know I don't like this new series. To those who don't follow them, I am a member of a Dune Fan site that is very outspoken against what we see to be a complete misuse, abuse, and blatant disregard for the legacy of Frank Herbert's Dune.

Winds of Dune follows in the tradition of Brian and Kevin's previous series in that the characterizations aren't just missing, they are in many cases plain wrong. I've said often that I believe that Kevin writes only for the specific moment in which the reader resides, the most microscopic form of the NOW. He completely disregards elements of the Dune universe if they do not fit the exact moment of contact that eyes transmit and brain interprets, even if 2-3 sentances before or after he has to contradict himself. The typical complaints are here: plots that would insult the intellect of a 4th grader. Characters who's only distinguishing characteristic is their name or role. IQ's are yet again non-existent.

Example? Duncan and Gurney are trying to track down Bronso. They need pictures of him because he's erased all records of himself. After about a paragraph of Duncan mentioning he needs pictures of Bronso, they magically appear: He doesn't need them, the Ixians provided him with them. The book is rife with these little micro-plots that serve no purpose other than to fill space and provide even more evidence that the authors know nothing (or just don't care) about the Universe as Frank created it.

The fact that the authors would suggest that Duncan needs pictures of what Bronso looks like also illustrates another very lacking foundation in these books: Editing. Why do they need pictures of what he looks like when:

1)Bronso's first terrorist act in the book? Making his face appear in the clouds over Paul's Funeral.
2)His second? faking his execution by allowing a Face Dancer (shapeshifter) to die in his place. Immediately after this every Face Dancer in the galaxy takes on his form. (only a few of them are detained and even fewer are executed.)

If his face is that recognizable by everyone in the universe, why do the two security men assigned to find him need pictures of him? Duncan knew Bronso as a child as well as being a witness to the funeral apparition. He's a mentat, a human computer designed to store massive amounts of data and separate relevant facts, yet he can't remember the face of someone he's seen multiple times. Guild security (which includes genetic scanners to set up a joke in one scene but never again) as well as 900 mentats specifically trained to look for him in spaceports can't find him.

The fact that the Face Dancers are creations of the distrusted Bene Tleilaxu is ignored because the book tells us that this is an irrelevant matter; Bronso hates the Tleilaxu so he obviously wouldn't work with them. Dune is a book about consequence, yet there are no consequences for anyone's actions in these books. Alia actually rewards a troupe of face dancer Jongleurs for their performance that she knows (or should know) are associated with Bronso, right after a group of face dancers interrupted her execution of Bronso. Following the logic in this book requires more suspension of disbelief than is healthy.

Duncan and Gurney know there is only 1 method of travel in the Duniverse: The Guild. Bronso's pamphlets appear magically in people's luggage after traveling on Guild Ships. It takes a Human Computer and a Security Expert 370 pages out of a 400 page novel to figure out that the crews are in league with Bronso, even after Gurney witnesses a crewman planting a pamphlet in the first 20 pages. That's like getting off a plane flight and finding a package of salted peanuts in your bag and not having the mental computation power to realize where it came from.

I believe that Brian Herbert's involvement in the actual writing of the book extends only as far as it takes for his conscience requires for him to claim co-authorship.

Oh, and for the last time: Bene Gesserit DO. NOT. HAVE. PSYCHIC. POWERS. Frank himself explained voice as a method of control and authority, and pointed out its uses in out modern era. It is merely a trained extension of that, knowing who you are talking to and what motivates them, and tuning into that in order to slip commands directly into their instinctive response. A Sargent yelling "Grenade!" to his troops is a primitive form of voice: the soldiers don't think about the command, they instinctively react as they were trained to do. The Sargent isn't psychic Kevin.

I know some people are entertained by these books. Dune to me is something more, something sacred, it is a monument of Human Literature: to my friends I refer to it as a 'manual on humanity'. Therefore I see it as my duty to speak out against these philistine imitations. As a student of literature, I consider it a duty to know what I'm talking about so yes, I did read it, cover to cover.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Excellent!
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Amp gets cookie:

:cookie sm:
ImageImage

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

The review itself is worth five stars ... at least!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I realized if I wanted to mention everything I found wrong about the book I'd just about have my dissertation written...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

amp, when did you post this, and how does it take to show up ?

'cause your review ain't there ....
ImageImage