Preek Arguments

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Hunchback Jack

Re: Preek Arguments

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Why restrain yourself? Sometimes a little passionate cursing goes a long way. And you *do* have a certain flair for it, SR.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

amazon won't LET you say a lot of stuff, not without obfuscation, which I loathe.

"A--Hat Pickle-F%%k_er" doesn't cut it for me.

And there is NO WAY I'm letting those assholes delete my account
and force me to buy another piece of bullshit from them just to
comment on their goddamn board.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Could we sticky this?

In all seriousness, it can be a great time-saver.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Done
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Boo-yah! :dance:

Thanks, FZ.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Leto

Post by Leto »

11. "They own the copyright, so they can decide what is canon and what isn't!"

13.a. "Only a writer can criticize the work of other writers!" (AKA "The Ganymede Gambit")
For all of those statements : money. Who paid them? who paid the copyright ?
I paid for books which respect FH's spirit. They do not. I give them money to give me some pleasure. They do not. I paid for a book, not for a scrap. I paid a writer (or two -- are you sure?! :evil: ). So, if my "investment" does not satisfy me, I'm supposed to fire the CEO out. I lost money 'cause to them. So, I HAVE TO criticize them!!
And the worst : I give them money. And what did I receive ? Insults (talifans aso), scrap (their books) and they only allow me to shut up!! :naughty:
12. "Frank's books contained inconsistencies, TOO!"
Frank wrote Dune for about 20 years. And he does not know when he wrote dune what will happen in C:D. So, there are some inconsistencies, OK.
But P&tB know where they are going (Hunters & Sandworms are not taking into account) : Legends and Houses have a common and official horizon : the Chronicles. Even having the end, they are able to make mistakes.
It's true they even contradict themselves, so....
14. "The new books are easier to understand, so they're better as an introduction into the Duniverse."
I do not want entertainment. I've comics to do so. I want (strong) ideas, I want thinking aso... That's what FH did, that's what I'm looking for.
If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
Gurney Halleck
KJA ? Keep Just Away?
Filo
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Leto wrote:14. "The new books are easier to understand, so they're better as an introduction into the Duniverse."
Do they realy use that?

I was 13 when I read Dune, what's their excuse? If you want something easy to understand try something like Green Eggs and Ham.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
Leto wrote:14. "The new books are easier to understand, so they're better as an introduction into the Duniverse."
Do they realy use that?

I was 13 when I read Dune, what's their excuse? If you want something easy to understand try something like Green Eggs and Ham.
it's not something easy to understand they want, it's something they can understand and which doesn't force them to accept the fact that they have the intellectual capacity of a turnip :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Leto wrote: .... and they only allow me to shut up!!
hey, that's a beautiful turn of phrase !
(serious, too, not making fun @all, I like that alot & will use it again)
(right up there with " ... and don't afraid of anything")
Freakzilla wrote:
Do they really use that?
yes.
I've heard it straight from Merritt on the DN BBS.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandRider wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Do they really use that?
yes.
I've heard it straight from Merritt on the DN BBS.
Dear gawd :shock:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

If that's not a slap in FH's face, I don't know what is.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:If that's not a slap in FH's face, I don't know what is.
This:

"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I wonder if it tasted like sawdust?
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

tasted like an ass-sandwich.

full of fail & AIDS.
ImageImage

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

If it looks like a failcake and smells like a failcake....

Its #15 on the NYT Bestseller list!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
rain_maker

Post by rain_maker »

I think we need to add one, considering B. Conway's latest:

15. I don't have time right now to locate the references you're using (that prove I'm an idiot with the reading comprehension of a 6 year old), but I'll get back to you when I have the time (i.e., never).
I had no idea that there were this many Frank Herbert fans left alive, what with the head exploding horror that is the KJA/BH atrocity.
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

rain_maker wrote:I think we need to add one, considering B. Conway's latest:

15. I don't have time right now to locate the references you're using (that prove I'm an idiot with the reading comprehension of a 6 year old), but I'll get back to you when I have the time (i.e., never).
Needs an example or something - this might be a good argument in some cases. When it is used to defend oneself against admitting that "P" means P, it is not.

15. I will not concede that fact P is the case in the Dune universe, just because you have shown me a quote saying "P". I will stall perpetually while claiming I have to look it up or check the context and hope this embarrasing fact, which directly contradicts what KJA has told me, will never be brought up again.

(I have tutored argumentation theory, and I don't think I have seen that fallacy mentioned anywhere. Not even sure it qualifies as a fallacy...)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The list is already up to #18. This new one, if adopted, would be #19.

Should be in the form of a direct quotation to conform to the others. :)

Edit: It's not really a fallacy at all. More of a method of derailing an argument. Obstructionist sabotage?
rain_maker

Post by rain_maker »

My bad, this should be #19 (if adopted).

I submit that it is an "argument" in that it is a tactic employed to obfuscate a very clear point made by an OH. I use this sort of tactic all the time, in Court, to draw the Court's attention away from a good point made by opposing counsel and to refocus on something that is beneficial to my argument. Although I don't simply state that "I don't have time" and then proceed to argue ad nauseum in another forum, but the re-direction tactic is similar.

Essentially, it is a way for a pre-tard to avoid admitting the point and drawing the argument away from an issue on which they are clearly wrong. I think it's worth inclusion because at this point the pre-tards have no way whatsoever of avoiding the incredible number of contradictions and ret-cons in McDune and will be simply unable to make "arguments" in the proper application of the word.
I had no idea that there were this many Frank Herbert fans left alive, what with the head exploding horror that is the KJA/BH atrocity.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Maybe it's time the list went through mitosis and became:

Preeq Arguments (or stances)

and

Preeq Tactics

the later being things like this questionable #19 "I won't bother to do my homework."
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I knew new guy was a mouthpiece from his user name ....

they startin' to congregate 'round here ...

somebody get the rope ready, jus' in case ...
ImageImage

rain_maker

Post by rain_maker »

SandRider wrote:I knew new guy was a mouthpiece from his user name ....

they startin' to congregate 'round here ...

somebody get the rope ready, jus' in case ...
Rope's useless.

Sunlight or silver ...
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Apjak wrote:Maybe it's time the list went through mitosis and became:

and

Preeq Tactics

the later being things like this questionable #19 "I won't bother to do my homework."
Agreed. Let's not confuse a simple issue.

The purpose of this thread — and making it sticky — is to have all of the classic, specific preek arguments in one place. Adding their general tactics just muddies the water.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

TheDukester wrote:

and

Preeq Tactics

The purpose of this thread — and making it sticky — is to have all of the classic, specific preek arguments in one place. Adding their general tactics just muddies the water.
Well, I think they should be near each other because, illogically, stances and tactics get used interchangeably. Whenever people (myself and OH included) get passionate we just let reason go out the window. Why do you think legislatures needed rules of order. If we label the tactics as Tactics, we can respond to each in kind with "Stay on Target" instead of letting ourselves get baited onto distracting tangents.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Apjak wrote:
TheDukester wrote:

and

Preeq Tactics

Well, I think they should be near each other because, illogically, stances and tactics get used interchangeably. Whenever people (myself and OH included) get passionate we just let reason go out the window. Why do you think legislatures needed rules of order. If we label the tactics as Tactics, we can respond to each in kind with "Stay on Target" instead of letting ourselves get baited onto distracting tangents.
The only tactic I've seen repeatedly is blatant evasion - which is pretty boring and not really list-worthy.

All the arguments they rely on when they work out what they're trying to say are listed here.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -