Anyone else caring less and less about WoD's rating?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

TheDukester

Anyone else caring less and less about WoD's rating?

Post by TheDukester »

Well, this is odd: I find myself hardly giving a warm shit about Jessica's Painful Wind on Dune's overall Amazon ratings.

* Two years ago, I was livid at how Waterworms was getting so many shill votes.

* Last year, I frothed and ranted when Pauline was clearly having 1-star reviews deleted.

* This year ... I've barely noticed. I just don't care.

Maybe it's taken three full cycles for me to realize that Amazon's 5-star rating system is a COMPLETE travesty, and one not worth worrying about. Maybe I'm confident that people will also read the responses and the forums threads, where Breaking Wind is just being torched. Or maybe I just don't care.

Anyone else? Or are most of y'all still fighting The Man about those stars?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Anyone else caring less and less about WoD's rating?

Post by SandChigger »

I glance at the total star rating, but I don't worry that much about it. I think I will keep a better tally of how many reviews are posted this time, so we know exactly how many are deleted. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I'm less worried about it given that the 5-star reviews are so obviously gushing fanboy reviews.

Anyone reading the page without a preconceived notion of these books will likely ignore those reviews anyway. So long as there are a *few* reasoned, dissenting voices in the mix, then I don't think the shill reviews will have a lot of effect.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Amazon's rating system has been defunct for nearly as long as Amazon.com has existed and long before KJA books were sold on the site. Back in the early days of Amazon reviews, there were true product ratings which would find numerous crap products with the 1 or 2 stars they deserved. Once Amazon caught on with consumers just a few years later, nearly every major commercial product on the website was rated between 4-5 stars and retains that rating today. With nearly every product rated so highly, the ratings become effectively meaningless.

For some time after that, one could obtain useful information reading the individual customer reviews. They could have a thousand shill reviews, but as long as someone wrote an intelligent critique, that's typically all it would take to convince me this product warranted more investigation prior to buying. Then Amazon started deleting reviews for commercial reasons. That was pretty much the last hope for an already seriously compromised system.

Now even if the people form together to oppose snake oil, they are dealt with via vendor complaints and a capitulating Amazon.com. I will say this: I admire them for unabashedly treating their website like the synthetic consumer juggernaut of a business that it is. At least there's no illusions :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, everything at Amazon is either 4 or 5 stars; it's like 3.5 is a low rating there. It's really skewed the scale.

I buy a lot of stuff there — too much, probably — but I tend to stay mostly within my comfort zones (authors, genres, games, music, or whatever that I'm already familiar with). I'm pretty leery of the reviews, in general.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I couldn't care less.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

For hard to find books that have more than one review I sometimes find that the reviews are rightish, more or less. But if its a big release, SF of course, I never bother with them.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!