lotek

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

lotek

lotek

Post by lotek »

hi everyone,
this is a delicate time indeed as I begin to realize the impact Dune and F Herbert have had on me and so many other people, and as I struggle to make my unbelieving friends come to their senses!
I stumbled on your website watching a youtube vid(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veSq_w9YKJ4&feature=fvw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and I found the choice of Jacurutu and the Cast Out so fitting I had to come and see what it was all about...

As for me my name's Tim, I live in France but thanks to a english and sci fi loving dad, I was able to read my favourite books in both languages, and discovered from an early age F Herbert with "Whipping Star", and then I got into Dune and I've nver left Arrakis since :)

Just to add this books are so deep that I find new meanings in them at each new stage of my life, as my awareness is modified by experience and knowledge, and that in itself is the mark of a writer's genius i believe.

Briefly I like the Lynch movie for its depicting of the Fremen or the rest of the Empire, a lot less for the quick interpretation of the Dune legends
I read the pre/se-quels but was not convinced, as it lacks at least the breathtaking mindblowing writing technique of FH.

I hope to learn new things from the Dune series and maybe share my own understanding of what is for me the climax of the golden age of sci fi as they sometimes call it, and the mother of all space operas ;)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: lotek

Post by Freakzilla »

Great to have you here!

I'm amazed you found us through Youtube, that's wonderful!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Salut! :)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:Great to have you here!

I'm amazed you found us through Youtube, that's wonderful!
We'll have to get some new stuff up there besides that video and Sloey's tribute to Chig. I should put a group of kids together to talk about kja and film it.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I think it's about time Chigger and Teg do something of the kind... :)
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeps :)
I remember hearing the news of the finding of FH's notes and being thrilled to bits as I thought that never again I would get the feeling of discovering dune...
and then I read them(being also a sucker fan)and gone with the coriolis wind were my illusions...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:yeps :)
I remember hearing the news of the finding of FH's notes and being thrilled to bits as I thought that never again I would get the feeling of discovering dune...
and then I read them(being also a sucker fan)and gone with the coriolis wind were my illusions...
The bright side is, each time I re-read FH's books I get something new from them. And I've read them over a dozen times.

I hope you'll get the same enjoyment from them.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Welcome, Twice Welcome! If you're looking for that "discovering Dune" experience you can't find a better group of people to point you at new books and media than the cast-out here. Have you read any other Frank Herbert works?

P. S. ...Your Water is Ours!
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi lotek :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Apjak wrote:Welcome, Twice Welcome! If you're looking for that "discovering Dune" experience you can't find a better group of people to point you at new books and media than the cast-out here. Have you read any other Frank Herbert works?

P. S. ...Your Water is Ours!
He read Whipping Star first... pay attention! :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Doh...

:doh:

Problem was i opened the YouTube link and it covered the rest of his post when I read it.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
lotek

Post by lotek »

yep I've always been a sci fi fan anyway, and I actually have been reading the dune series regularly for the last 20 years at least(i'm 35 now but I truly don't remember my dune first ;) )
thing is when you do that you will find lots of things and get a real perception of the books, but i'm sure we can find a dune quote about absolute knowledge and being enclosed in a single point of view...

... and also driven by the need to make sure I'm not alone in my bookworm condition(isn't that so fitting? bookWORM of Dune! as long as it's not turned into a sequel I don't mind it being reused ;))
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:...bookWORM of Dune!
Awesome! :D
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

i actually really surprised myself with that one :mrgreen:

and my thanks to you all as I am going back on the dunes of Arrakis right from the start, so I'll be able to sustain a decent conversation on the books
It feels good not having to explain everything from scratch but it also means higher standards, and nothing else for that but reading!
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Hi lotek!
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome! :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

thanks for the warm welcome, but then what else is there to expect from people who like frank herbert for his "tranquille"(as in peaceful) philosophie of life? :roll:
unless it concerns the apocryphal(had to google that one) horrors of the son and the fake prophet (good ring to it dunnit?) :crazy:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Generally speaking, people are much happier when they can express their opinion (bitch and moan) without being banned for doing so. We may not be the nicest people around, but we're generally a light-hearted crowd :P :wink:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan! :D

Hi. I'm trying to be the un-nicest of the un-nice. :P
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Just try not to make any sudden movements and keep your hands and feet away from their mouths. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

your very own Laza tigers :)
I shall watch out :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:Achlan wasachlan! :D

Hi. I'm trying to be the un-nicest of the un-nice. :P