"New Canon" Inconsistency Concordance

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

MrFlibble

Re: "New Canon" Inconsistency Concordance

Post by MrFlibble »

A Little Galach wrote:You are correct. However I am referring to the speculation I quoted above by the GHM about the Futars and masters. Idle speculation, admittedly, but it certainly indicates that it was a possibility.
Oh, sorry, I overlooked your post with the quote. I remembered that it was mentioned that Futars were immune to sex bonding by HMs and supposed that this meant complete immunity to such kind of thing.
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
A Little Galach

Post by A Little Galach »

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but as I am into my second reading of Chapterhouse I feel compelled to state it on my own:

Anyone that reads Dune: Chaperhouse and comes to the conclusion that the two old people in Duncan's vision could be anything but Face Dancers is mistaken and intentionally looking for an "out" rather than looking at the preponderance of evidence. Anyone that reads it and comes away thinking robots!, or feels that Frank Herbert was thinking robots!, is retarded. There's just no other way to intrepret it reasonably. In order to be convinced otherwise I need to see the notes and a photograph of FH with that specific page in plain view to prove authenticity.

And seriously, how would robots get into the mind of a BT-created Duncan Idaho if they were as bumblingly human-ignorant as KJA's robotic cartoon villains? It's so obviously twisted to fit a pre-determined quota of book production that only mouth-breathing Star Wars I-III fans would not see through it and/or not care. In other words, people that should be sterilized.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Little Galach wrote:Dune: Chaperhouse
You mean Chapterhouse: Dune? :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

A Little Galach wrote:It's so obviously twisted to fit a pre-determined quota of book production that only mouth-breathing Star Wars I-III fans would not see through it and/or not care. In other words, people that should be sterilized.
Although I fully agree with your conclusions, I do not approve of the last sentence, even if it was intended to be a joke.
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
A Little Galach

MrFlibble wrote:
A Little Galach wrote:It's so obviously twisted to fit a pre-determined quota of book production that only mouth-breathing Star Wars I-III fans would not see through it and/or not care. In other words, people that should be sterilized.
Although I fully agree with your conclusions, I do not approve of the last sentence, even if it was intended to be a joke.
Perhaps we can make it more of a Logan's Run-type arrangement, substituting a culture test for age? However you may be in danger of failing with that attitude. Be ready to turn in your futuristic singlet.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

MrFlibble wrote:
A Little Galach wrote:... I do not approve of the last sentence, even if it was intended to be a joke.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

MrFlibble wrote:

what about they should not be allowed to reproduce?
:mrgreen:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:

what about they should not be allowed to reproduce?
:mrgreen:
How about they should go have sex exclusively with themselves
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
A Little Galach

If they can only have sex with each other, then there are that many more stupid people running around. Hence, sterilization.

If you are proposing to limit such people to masturbation, then I approve. Preeks are probably largely limited to this activity already.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Yeah, I think they should be allowed to masturbate.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

merkin muffley wrote:Yeah, I think they should be allowed to masturbate.
I wouldn't want to be the one to try and stop them. :(
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Freakzilla wrote:
[DELETED BY THE ALMIGHTY MODERATOR]
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Tleszer wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
[DELETED BY THE ALMIGHTY MODERATOR]

Stop that, you.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Well, I felt that I was hard-pressed into saying that it would be a sticky situation.

And then I thought better of it. :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I suppose it would be inopportune of me to observe that you never know what might come from something like that? :?
A Little Galach

Having finished my re-read of Chapterhouse, I have to say that the number one inconsistency of all time in any series of books is the Face Dancer-Robot conflict. The last chapter could be condensed to say the following:

"Hey! You reading the book! Yeah you! Surprise! We're Dace Dancers! No, not robots, Transformers or anything else from a large-budget summer blockbuster sequel, we're new and improved Face Dancers. Frankie was laying on the hints pretty thick along the way, but in case you didn't figure it out: We're MOTHERFUCKING FACE DANCERS!"

Have the ambiguously gay duo said that CH was written by Erasmus or some other BS to explain this away? Now I'm really mad I got banned from DN, I can't believe how upset I am right now.

Let's say Romeo and Juliet II was written by Shakespeare's estranged and retarded son while under the spell of an apothecary of ill-repute. If he brought those crazy lovestruck kids back to life with stem cells and radiation therapy and changed their characters to an asian and black couple travelling with the carnival while driving a Ford Taurus with a Flux Capacitor, it would still be less offensive than the HLP change.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

A Little Galach wrote:Having finished my re-read of Chapterhouse, I have to say that the number one inconsistency of all time in any series of books is the Face Dancer-Robot conflict. The last chapter could be condensed to say the following:

"Hey! You reading the book! Yeah you! Surprise! We're Dace Dancers! No, not robots, Transformers or anything else from a large-budget summer blockbuster sequel, we're new and improved Face Dancers. Frankie was laying on the hints pretty thick along the way, but in case you didn't figure it out: We're MOTHERFUCKING FACE DANCERS!"

Have the ambiguously gay duo said that CH was written by Erasmus or some other BS to explain this away? Now I'm really mad I got banned from DN, I can't believe how upset I am right now.

Let's say Romeo and Juliet II was written by Shakespeare's estranged and retarded son while under the spell of an apothecary of ill-repute. If he brought those crazy lovestruck kids back to life with stem cells and radiation therapy and changed their characters to an asian and black couple travelling with the carnival while driving a Ford Taurus with a Flux Capacitor, it would still be less offensive than the HLP change.
The only way it makes sense is if Erasmus and Omnius refer to themselves as Face Dancers in a conversation that no one else is watching or participating in. Like how me and my twin brother sit around and casually discuss what it's like to be overweight elderly Asian women.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Hmm. You're clearly using the word "sense" in a way I'm not familiar with. :)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Thodol

Post by Thodol »

I assume pulse swords are defacto lightsabres? And Ginaz swordsmen Jedi? :puke:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Now you're getting it! :P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Superdog wrote: Like how me and my twin brother sit around and casually discuss what it's like to be overweight elderly Asian women.
:shock:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
A Little Galach

SandChigger wrote:Now you're getting it! :P

Oh, I already had it. It's as if I had a common cold before reading the books again. Now I have Malaria.
Entik

Post by Entik »

Another inconsistency about Gurney's back story that wasn't mentionned here: in Dune, when Gurney and Paul reunite in the desert, Gurney compares Paul' expression to that of the Old Duke... I interpret it as Gurney having first hand experience of the Old Duke... (I only have a French edition so maybe it's just the translation, someone should check it out)... so that would mean that both Jessica and Gurney have actually known the Old Duke before his death...

and for the record, I think that all of Gurney's backstory in the sequels is completely unbelievable...

That's the only one I can think of so far that you didn't mention already... but I have all the series fresh in my mind (the 14 books (excluding PoD and others more recent) so maybe something else will come out...
lotek

Post by lotek »

Entik wrote:Another inconsistency about Gurney's back story that wasn't mentionned here: in Dune, when Gurney and Paul reunite in the desert, Gurney compares Paul' expression to that of the Old Duke... I interpret it as Gurney having first hand experience of the Old Duke..
A smile touched Paul's mouth, but there was a hardness in the expression
that reminded Gurney of the Old Duke, Paul's grandfather.
Spice is the worm's gonads.