KJA-induced amnesia (ATTN:RedBugPest)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Schu

KJA-induced amnesia (ATTN:RedBugPest)

Post by Schu »

Hiya! I was wondering what you thought of (and I'm assuming you've read Chapterhouse Dune and Hunters of Dune) everyone managing to randomly forget that Teg could move quickly.

Let's go over the crew roster:

- Shenna and Duncan: were there when he regained his memories, were witness to both his superspeed and admission that he was capable of it.
- Other splintered Bene Gesserit: Had access to comeye records of that incident - it was common knowledge in the sisterhood.
- The Jews: these guys were on Gammu when Teg did all his funky stuff in the first place. They knew (and not only that, but Rebecca had shared with Murbella, who certainly knew).
-Scytale: Well ok, he has an excuse not to know.

Why then, in the sequels written by KJA and BH, did Teg keep his superspeed a "secret" from the crew, and why were the crew surprised when he demonstrated it - even if they somehow didn't know (which they did), the BG had heard rumours about the whole thing, to the point where Odrade explicitly asks Teg about it, so acting all surprised is kinda... inconsistent ;)
ionah

Re: KJA-induced amnesia (ATTN:RedBugPest)

Post by ionah »

Schu wrote: - Shenna and Duncan: were there when he regained his memories, were witness to both his superspeed and admission that he was capable of it.
do Ghola Teg hides this from them in the spacehsip ? :think: well maybe, i read the stuff so quickly ... (and in english) .. so maybe i go in da book and read again about it.

concerning the comeye, maybe was the information "classified" and not all the Sisterhood was aware of it.
concerning the Jews, they may have heard rumor about it, at least yes, Rebecca might have known since having sharing with Murbella who shared with Odrade who knew ...
Schu

Post by Schu »

ionah wrote:
Schu wrote: - Shenna and Duncan: were there when he regained his memories, were witness to both his superspeed and admission that he was capable of it.
do Ghola Teg hides this from them in the spacehsip ? :think: well maybe, i read the stuff so quickly ... (and in english) .. so maybe i go in da book and read again about it.

concerning the comeye, maybe was the information "classified" and not all the Sisterhood was aware of it.
concerning the Jews, they may have heard rumor about it, at least yes, Rebecca might have known since having sharing with Murbella who shared with Odrade who knew ...
Yes, he hid it from them too. There was no mention of Teg's superspeed being a secret among the sisterhood - it runs rather contrary to the democratic nature of the Bene Gesserit that full revered mothers (and proctors, no less) would be restricted from such information, especially when they were using him as a military commander. The only time I remember any records being restricted was when it was something that people didn't have to know, and would be bad for morale.

Actually, I remember the general sisterhood explicitly knowing about Teg's superspeed - something about them not considering his superspeed that big a deal, but if they found out about his ability to see no-ships, he'd be in trouble. I can't find my copy of CH:D right now though :(
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I liked Bellonda's yo-yo weight problem. First she's shifting the flab in Chapterhouse, next she's as fat as Comb-Over's wife in Hunters. We all know these middle aged women who lose a bit of weight then binge on cream cakes and bars of Galaxy, but Comb-Over's attention to detail is crap and I thought his constant referring to Bellonda's bulk was weird until I saw his wife and realised he's a chubby chaser.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Ya either cracks one or ya chases it, but a man's gotsta have his chubby. :P )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Schu

Post by Schu »

Bell probably studied all the HM techniques that Sheanna was teaching, and she probably perved plenty on Duncan and Murbella. She could probably show anyone a pretty damn good time :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A whole lot of anyone, no doubt. And at the same time. :P

(Anyone seen 'Pestie since Friday?)

Waiting... :) Image
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Reminder, RedBugDickhead: this is where you pussied out last time.

Specific questions have been raised; we all breathlessly await you repeating whatever KJA's answers are.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Address this glowing error buggy, or admit that you and your ilk are KJA ass kissers and are raping Frank's legacy. :evil:
Schu

Post by Schu »

Oh, he won't. We all know it. This one is just far too obviously not an interpretation or whatever, it is far too clearly a big error. I've never heard anyone even try to justify it, so I am hoping connie gives it a go, just to see what happens, but he won't.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandChigger » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:41 am wrote:A whole lot of anyone, no doubt. And at the same time. :P

(Anyone seen 'Pestie since Friday?)

Waiting... :) Image
Shit ... it's been a whole month. :roll:
Schu

Post by Schu »

SHAMELESS BUMP!
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Schu wrote:Hiya! I was wondering what you thought of (and I'm assuming you've read Chapterhouse Dune and Hunters of Dune) everyone managing to randomly forget that Teg could move quickly.

- Shenna and Duncan: were there when he regained his memories, were witness to both his superspeed and admission that he was capable of it.
- Other splintered Bene Gesserit: Had access to comeye records of that incident - it was common knowledge in the sisterhood.
- The Jews: these guys were on Gammu when Teg did all his funky stuff in the first place. They knew (and not only that, but Rebecca had shared with Murbella, who certainly knew).

Why then, in the sequels written by KJA and BH, did Teg keep his superspeed a "secret" from the crew, and why were the crew surprised when he demonstrated it - even if they somehow didn't know (which they did), the BG had heard rumours about the whole thing, to the point where Odrade explicitly asks Teg about it, so acting all surprised is kinda... inconsistent ;)
"What luck for rulers that men do not think."

It's as good an answer as any serious answer I could give, since anything I say is obviously going to be taken as substandard claptrap...

Post by SandChigger »

redbugpest wrote:"What luck for rulers that men do not think."

It's as good an answer as any serious answer I could give, since anything I say is obviously going to be taken as substandard claptrap...
So ... yet another cop-out is the best you can do? :roll:

Seriously, tell KJA to send us someone brighter.
Schu

Post by Schu »

redbugpest wrote:"What luck for rulers that men do not think."

Try giving an answer this time that isn't substandard claptrap, and you might be surprised. I think the only way you'll avoid giving substandard claptrap as an answer is by saying "looks like that was a mistake there", but I'm willing to be surprised ;)
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

redbugpest wrote:It's as good an answer as any serious answer I could give, since anything I say is obviously going to be taken as substandard claptrap...
I am not disgreeing with you on the assumption around here, or how much you are being badmouthed (though it seems to be some kind of game you and chigger have going now). But that was the sorriest cop-out I have ever seen!

You came here saying you wanted to discuss. Someone asks a legitimate, serious question asking for a simple answer. And you go "you'll just yell at me and not like the answer".
I would fucking love for you to answer! This and other questions you so blatantly ignore.

Not that I am saying it is productive, but if you are just going to hang around here and wave you "I like KJA"-flag, what else are people going to use you for except abuse? The second you start arguing your point, I and others on this site have a reason to interact properly with you - until then, you are just wasting bandwidth.

Come on, answer the guy!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

redbugpest wrote:
Schu wrote:Hiya! I was wondering what you thought of (and I'm assuming you've read Chapterhouse Dune and Hunters of Dune) everyone managing to randomly forget that Teg could move quickly.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think."

I expect better from you than this. Yes, a lot of people are going to hurl insults at you regardless of what you say, but several of us will debate you. And you obviously thrive off of and enjoy the insult hurling, the longest you stick around here is when you're tossing insults back and forth with people, and the least time you spend here is debating.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Yes, a lot of people are going to hurl insults at you regardless of what you say, but several of us will debate you.
Actually, if I may ... ?

I'd like to address this briefly. I honestly think this is over-stating the case a little bit. If RBP had just followed up the promise you'll see posted in my signature, I really think a lot of yesterday's unpleasantness (already spilling over at Amazon today) would have been avoided. But he didn't; he just couldn't resist firing a few shots, and, of course, trying to draw attention to his ridiculous bright-red signature. And check the time-stamps: when did things begin to spin out of control? I'll tell you exactly when it happened: with the "pretty mouth" comment. If he wants to bring that shit to the table, then he will be getting it back with both barrels, every time. Yesterday's disaster is completely on him.

But ... had he come back and, say, picked three of the current debates and actually started debating, then you all would have been off to the races, merrily debating and picking apart passages, offering arguments and counter-arguments. Any insults hurled would have been at his arguments (fair game), and not at him personally (which is where things always spin out of control). And that's what he doesn't seem to be getting: so many of you are looking for some good McPreek debate that RBP would actually be welcomed here with open arms if he would just discuss the damn books without feeling the need to lash out, mock, and ridicule in every-other sentence.

In fact, if such were to ever happen, I think you'd see a lot of people here just back away. I know I would; I've never read a word of McDune except for the first short story in RtD** and the chapters that I randomly turn to for comic relief whenever I'm in a bookstore. So I know I'd just remove myself to the sidelines (unless he veered into spouting nonsense about the first four FH books), and I suspect others would, too. And then y'all could just have your debate(s), and everyone would be happy.

But he is the KJA fan visiting a decidedly anti-KJA site, so the first step has to come from RBP. For this to happen, he has to log on and restrain himself from the insults, the defensiveness, and whatever else it is that turns his crank, and just discuss the damn books. Your dream of discussing/debating Keith and Bobo's "contributions" to the Dune saga will never, ever happen if he doesn't take this first step.

I'll even add a personal promise. If RBP can, in fact, restrain himself and just debate the books, he'll never here a word from me. For one thing, I can't debate them; I've never read them. For another, I don't care. For a third, as long as he doesn't get side-tracked into personal insults, I couldn't be less interested in anything he has to say. So that's my pledge: if he'll just discuss the books, I'll be invisible, for all intents and purposes.

How 'bout it, RBP? You're the guest here — it's fair to say the ball is in your court.

+++++

(Sorry, Thing, not trying to single you out in any way; just using your post as a place to begin)

+++++

** The worst short story I've ever read. That's not hyperbole. I saw the "surprise" ending coming in the sixth paragraph.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

TheDukester wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Yes, a lot of people are going to hurl insults at you regardless of what you say, but several of us will debate you.
Actually, if I may ... ?

I'd like to address this briefly. I honestly think this is over-stating the case a little bit. If RBP had just followed up the promise you'll see posted in my signature, I really think a lot of yesterday's unpleasantness (already spilling over at Amazon today) would have been avoided. But he didn't; he just couldn't resist firing a few shots, and, of course, trying to draw attention to his ridiculous bright-red signature. And check the time-stamps: when did things begin to spin out of control? I'll tell you exactly when it happened: with the "pretty mouth" comment. If he wants to bring that shit to the table, then he will be getting it back with both barrels, every time. Yesterday's disaster is completely on him.

But ... had he come back and, say, picked three of the current debates and actually started debating, then you all would have been off to the races, merrily debating and picking apart passages, offering arguments and counter-arguments. Any insults hurled would have been at his arguments (fair game), and not at him personally (which is where things always spin out of control). And that's what he doesn't seem to be getting: so many of you are looking for some good McPreek debate that RBP would actually be welcomed here with open arms if he would just discuss the damn books without feeling the need to lash out, mock, and ridicule in every-other sentence.

In fact, if such were to ever happen, I think you'd see a lot of people here just back away. I know I would; I've never read a word of McDune except for the first short story in RtD** and the chapters that I randomly turn to for comic relief whenever I'm in a bookstore. So I know I'd just remove myself to the sidelines (unless he veered into spouting nonsense about the first four FH books), and I suspect others would, too. And then y'all could just have your debate(s), and everyone would be happy.

But he is the KJA fan visiting a decidedly anti-KJA site, so the first step has to come from RBP. For this to happen, he has to log on and restrain himself from the insults, the defensiveness, and whatever else it is that turns his crank, and just discuss the damn books. Your dream of discussing/debating Keith and Bobo's "contributions" to the Dune saga will never, ever happen if he doesn't take this first step.

I'll even add a personal promise. If RBP can, in fact, restrain himself and just debate the books, he'll never here a word from me. For one thing, I can't debate them; I've never read them. For another, I don't care. For a third, as long as he doesn't get side-tracked into personal insults, I couldn't be less interested in anything he has to say. So that's my pledge: if he'll just discuss the books, I'll be invisible, for all intents and purposes.

How 'bout it, RBP? You're the guest here — it's fair to say the ball is in your court.

+++++

(Sorry, Thing, not trying to single you out in any way; just using your post as a place to begin)

+++++

** The worst short story I've ever read. That's not hyperbole. I saw the "surprise" ending coming in the sixth paragraph.
Thanks Duke, I think you said it all very well. He also came to this board with guns blazing, no attempt whatsoever was made to make nice at the beginning on his part. I WOULD welcome anyone who really wants to debate here with open arms, I love debating the new books. I wish someone would do more than just say "shift your paradigm" and other assorted catchphrases though.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

IMHO, his response in the englobement thread to my showing that ACCORDING TO THE TEXT the probe was already on the planet when it received the Corrin signal is indicative of how any debate with him is going to go.

He's here to troll and gain KJASF points by doing so. Go Pest! :roll:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

TheDukester wrote:But ... had he come back and, say, picked three of the current debates and actually started debating, then you all would have been off to the races, merrily debating and picking apart passages, offering arguments and counter-arguments. Any insults hurled would have been at his arguments (fair game), and not at him personally (which is where things always spin out of control). And that's what he doesn't seem to be getting: so many of you are looking for some good McPreek debate that RBP would actually be welcomed here with open arms if he would just discuss the damn books without feeling the need to lash out, mock, and ridicule in every-other sentence.
I agreed with everything you said, Dukester. But I also think we should extend him the same courtesy. If he's discussing the books, then we should restrain our tendency to "lash out, mock and ridicule".

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I agreed with everything you said, Dukester. But I also think we should extend him the same courtesy. If he's discussing the books, then we should restrain our tendency to "lash out, mock and ridicule".
I couldn't agree more.

If y'all are discussing the McKevin books, then his arguments are totally fair game. But if RBP is doing his honest best to not hurl personal insults, then I'd hope the same courtesy would be extended.

As for me, I'll be busy petitioning the State of Colorado to give me copies of KJA's tax returns, 1997-2008, inclusive.
Godgirl

Post by Godgirl »

Wow--chig, your FB status got me to log in. but I haven't see much :cat fight: here.
Looks like the action is going on somewhere else?

So here's a question--if this RBP guy isn't going to bother to debate anything... why reply at all. Far better to ignore it than throw up a pathetic one-liner...
I'll think of something... soon... I swear.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Is that you, Knife Witch? ;) (I thought you had more/some posts here. ???)

Yeah, we kinda came to the same conclusion, gonna ignore him outside of these "ATTN:RBP" threads. :)

Which one-liner was "pathetic"? :P
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I WOULD welcome anyone who really wants to debate here with open arms, I love debating the new books. I wish someone would do more than just say "shift your paradigm" and other assorted catchphrases though.
Sadly, guys, it doesn't look like RBP is going to be able to help you with this.

His first contribution today is this:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1609&p=56743#p56743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, instead of walking the red carpet that many of you are trying to point him toward, he chooses, once again, to deflect, deny, confuse, and delay.

You're going to need to find a much smarter preek than Brian Conway before any debating happens.