Re: Hello every one

Post by Freakzilla »

Hey, I was a Webelo! :(
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Tleszer wrote:Welcome!

The Nu-Dune is fluff.
They don't deserve the CAPITALi$ation of the Dune.
Minor correction :D

nu-dune
or
Nu-dune

Lowercase not uppercase.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I've tried to put it into quotes every time I talk about TheKJA. As in:

"Kevin's alleged "Dune" books."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Kevin is a best-selling "author" who "writes" "Dune" books. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:lol:

Thanks for letting me know the correct written form of nu-dune, Teg!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Hola!
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Hello and kudos on your decision to NOT waste time with the nu-crap... :)
niño-gusano

Post by niño-gusano »

I´ve saved a lot of time by not reading the "Nu-dune" crap but I´ve wasted half an hour of my time watching the horrible sci-fi chanel´s Children of Dune. This movie is just a torture; I could only stand the whole thing trapped in shigawire (of course trying to keep my eyes closed).

I read in some forae that these two Dune films of the sci-fi channel were OK, but....GOD!...They are just tacky...Have you seen them?
Fuck! I am not that picky! I love Lynch´s Dune.....
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I decided not to watch any of these after trying Lynch's Dune. Now I know why it came free with a newspaper...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

niño-gusano wrote:I read in some forae that these two Dune films of the sci-fi channel were OK, but....GOD!...They are just tacky...Have you seen them?
Everything you just said ... but the opposite.

Lynch's movie is a farce. I was never so happy to leave a theater.

The SF Channel miniseries at least allow the stories some room to breathe. And they have awesome hats.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
niño-gusano

Post by niño-gusano »

Lynch´s Dune can be a little messy; specially to people that haven´t read the novel but I think that it´s a masterpiece. Some of my reasons are the following:

- It creates an unique atmosphere in Arrakis; much like the environment that I´ve imagined when I first read the novel
- Lynch created credible characters; I mean- Paul is perfect, Lady Jessica is amazing, The Count Harkonnen, Piter, Sting as Feyd etc, etc
- Geidi Prime (A-M-A-Z-I-N-G)
- The guild steerman is way cooler than the one in the miniseries
- The stillsuits (W-O-W)
- The eyes are really blue-in-blue (not like in the crappy miniseries)
- The Bene Gesserit ,specially RM Mohiam, look like RMs not like the fairytale witches in the miniseries
- The acting is good
- and thousands more......

I have to agree that he made a mistake with the outfit of the Sardaukar....but, he´s a f#####g genius!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Lynch's Dune is indeed a masterpiece of style over content, I LOVE it, but I'll never forgive it for getting me into Dune.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm not happy with either adaptation, Lynch film or Miniseries, but I do appreciate the more "complete" feel of the miniseries. Sadly, with Berg at the helm of the new Dune film, that seems a status quo unlikely to change.

Lynch's 1984 film was just too disjointed and, in many cases, intentionally obscure. I do admire the production design and unique feel of the film, but the script is just a mess.
Harrison's 2000 miniseries was just far too ambitious for it's budget. I do enjoy the broader, more complete scope of the miniseries, but the production values are just awful.

A film adaptation for Dune needs at least a $70 million budget, a legitimate director, some great casting and some effects virtuosity. Personally, I'd want to see a $100 million+ full out studio-backed adaptation with a REAL talent at the helm. Something like Singer on the first X-Men or Nolan on Batman Begins. But that's just a fantasy :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

GamePlayer wrote:I'm not happy with either adaptation, Lynch film or Miniseries, but I do appreciate the more "complete" feel of the miniseries. Sadly, with Berg at the helm of the new Dune film, that seems a status quo unlikely to change.

Lynch's 1984 film was just too disjointed and, in many cases, intentionally obscure. I do admire the production design and unique feel of the film, but the script is just a mess.
Harrison's 2000 miniseries was just far too ambitious for it's budget. I do enjoy the broader, more complete scope of the miniseries, but the production values are just awful.

A film adaptation for Dune needs at least a $70 million budget, a legitimate director, some great casting and some effects virtuosity. Personally, I'd want to see a $100 million+ full out studio-backed adaptation with a REAL talent at the helm. Something like Singer on the first X-Men or Nolan on Batman Begins. But that's just a fantasy :)
"HEAR HEAR"

The thing I love about the Lynch film is it gets the EPIC part right. Like FH said many time it looks like Arrakis, the mini-series simply didn't have the budget or intention to create a world. Also FH's dialogue sounds better coming from the Lynch film quality actors. I just don't hear "Duke Leto" when William Hurt is talking. However, I can never forgive whomever, and I don't blame Lynch cause he shot it, whomever decided to change the ending. The book has one of the most memorable last lines in all literature. But the film's ending is still memorable and epic; it's just Lynch/de Laurintis' DUNE not Frank Herbert's DUNE.

The mini-series dragged on, because I watched it all on DVD in one sitting. It would have been much more tolerable how it was made: Episodically. It was television, and like nearly all television: trashy.

Even here in this pre-pre-prodution time for a new DUNE film we can accurately speculate what more damage can be done using book prime in our canon, but we will be first in line to see it. We should be the target audience, not twilight loving tweens that they want to sell a series of action/romance to. So the thing I want to see most is a DUNE film for the ages, HLP hasn't been moving in the "for the ages" genius direction that was gift their forbearer our forbearer. Can I get a "hear hear" for Jacurutu's DUNE?
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

TheDukester wrote:
niño-gusano wrote:I read in some forae that these two Dune films of the sci-fi channel were OK, but....GOD!...They are just tacky...Have you seen them?
Everything you just said ... but the opposite.

Lynch's movie is a farce. I was never so happy to leave a theater.

The SF Channel miniseries at least allow the stories some room to breathe. And they have awesome hats.
QFT, especially for the hats...

People always forget about the pug... :(
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The only way the movie could have been worse is if the Pug dog had a hat on.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'll just sit right here & wait for
one of you to create a photoshopped
image of this ......

:whistle:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

niño-gusano wrote:Lynch´s Dune can be a little messy; specially to people that haven´t read the novel but I think that it´s a masterpiece. Some of my reasons are the following:

- It creates an unique atmosphere in Arrakis; much like the environment that I´ve imagined when I first read the novel
- Lynch created credible characters; I mean- Paul is perfect, Lady Jessica is amazing, The Count Harkonnen, Piter, Sting as Feyd etc, etc
- Geidi Prime (A-M-A-Z-I-N-G)
- The guild steerman is way cooler than the one in the miniseries
- The stillsuits (W-O-W)
- The eyes are really blue-in-blue (not like in the crappy miniseries)
- The Bene Gesserit ,specially RM Mohiam, look like RMs not like the fairytale witches in the miniseries
- The acting is good
- and thousands more......
I have to categorically disagree with you on every point. This film was so stiff it was ready for the pine box the day it opened.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Can anyone explain the idea behind making RMs bald?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I always assumed it was to make them more sinister and to depersonalize them.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dune, page 1:

By the half-light of a suspensor lamp, dimmed and hanging near the floor,
the awakened boy could see a bulky female shape at his door, standing one step
ahead of his mother. The old woman was a witch shadow -- hair like matted
spiderwebs
, hooded 'round darkness of features, eyes like glittering jewels.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Aye I ken the baldies weren't canonical, but you can't say they weren't shiny.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I understand how everyone wants to input their bit of creative talent, but when it's already described in black and white in a best selling book, why change it?
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

If you can understand a mind like Lynch's then you need heroin.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:If you can understand a mind like Lynch's then you need heroin.

LSD maybe...
~Pink Snowman