Hello every one

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

niño-gusano

Hello every one

Post by niño-gusano »

I am a Spanish fan of the Dune novels. I am 34 years old and I read Dune for the first time when I was 12. I have read the FH novels a few times but I have not read any of the BH novels. I am afraid of getting disappointed.
I would really appreciate your opinions about it ¿Are the new novels that crappy? ¿Is it worth to read them? ¿Has BH ruined the whole FH´s universe?
Apjak

Re: Hello every one

Post by Apjak »

If you're asking here, the answer will be a RESOUNDING, "Stay the Eff away from the BH-KJA Shite", but most of us have read them, and complain about them frequently.

And of couse, WELCOME fellow Duner!
Last edited by Apjak on 25 Jun 2009 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Uh! Uh! Me first, me first!

:-)

Calm down, Kristian.

OK.

First of all - welcome to Jacurutu. The tone is a bit harsh, when it comes to the KJA&BH books; but we are mostly "good people", albeit with a strange sense of humour sometimes. Twice welcome!
niño-gusano wrote:I am a Spanish fan of the Dune novels. I am 34 years old and I read Dune for the first time when I was 12.
Hm... just a year or two before me, then. How many times have you read them? I find it interesting to have read them both as a very young teen, at around 18, as a young adult and now as a philosopher (I'm from Denmark, BTW).
niño-gusano wrote:I have read the FH novels a few times but I have not read any of the BH novels. I am afraid of getting disappointed.
Understandably, I felt the same way when I heard they were coming out and we were all waiting for the first reports. I was in the "this might be an interesting addition"-camp back then.
niño-gusano wrote:I would really appreciate your opinions about it
And here we go - woohoo! :twisted:
niño-gusano wrote:¿Are the new novels that crappy?
Yes!
niño-gusano wrote:¿Is it worth to read them?
No!
niño-gusano wrote:¿Has BH ruined the whole FH´s universe?
If one accept his books as canon - hell yes! You have no idea...
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I've never read any new Dune, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.. well I did read the excerpts online, so I know I'm not missing out on anything.

Welcome to Jacurutu.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Hello!
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

If you read them with the attitude that they are very bad fan fiction novels and have nothing to do with FH's Dune except character and place names, you should be OK!

Welcome!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
niño-gusano

Post by niño-gusano »

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome!

I have been looking for some info on the new novels and the plot seems somewhat absurd. I do not get how Duncan can be the Ultimate Kwizatz Haderach, how some characters have superman-style habilities, how everybody gets to be a ghola etc. I think that´s just non-sense, but I am based on secondary sources so.....I do not know

My dear scandinavian philosopher, I cannot agree more about what you say; it is just great to re-read the Dune books in different stages of your life.
I am sure you have enjoyed a lot filtering the novel through your philosopher´s eyes. I have to tell you that reading them from an economist´s point of view I have enjoyed like a teenager in a playboy party ;)

Regards,
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome, let me tell you that every rediculous thing you've heard about the new books is not only true - the things you listed are in fact some of the LEAST rediculous things in the new books, especially the so-called Dune 7. You have NO idea how much worse it gets!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan fii sietchinaa.

Welcome, doubly welcome to our sietch. :)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

hihihi niño-gusano :)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Welcome :) ... and yes: the nu-dune books are that bad... :(
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Please don't call attention to Baraka Bryan's double-post stuttering. He's sensitive about it. ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"Go BB! It's your birthday!" :lol:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Hi, don't read the books unless you want to be pissed off about it.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

niño-gusano wrote:I have been looking for some info on the new novels and the plot seems somewhat absurd. I do not get how Duncan can be the Ultimate Kwizatz Haderach, how some characters have superman-style habilities, how everybody gets to be a ghola etc. I think that´s just non-sense, but I am based on secondary sources so.....I do not know
First, welcome!

Second, you already seem to have a pretty good grasp on some of the basic problems with the new series of alleged "Dune" books. "Absurd" is too kind, in many cases.

They are that bad. Run far, far away.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome!

The Nu-Dune is fluff. There's lots of action and little real philosophical musings. I would stay far away from these new novels. The only good thing imo is that it opened my eyes to FH's novels. I shouldn't give them too much credit, though, because I had seen both minis and it was CoD mini that "forced" me to put down the terrible Machine Crusade and finally pick up the originals.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome. Hope you will enjoy it here. We are mostly harmless. ;) Looking forward to getting to know you better.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Welcome. Your Water is Ours.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
niño-gusano

Post by niño-gusano »

I have been reading your comments and Omphalo´s reviews about the new Dune novels and I have decided not to read them. My time in this world is limited and I do not want to risk ruining my view of the Dune universe.
Thank you all!
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

niño-gusano wrote:I have been reading your comments and Omphalo´s reviews about the new Dune novels and I have decided not to read them. My time in this world is limited and I do not want to risk ruining my view of the Dune universe.
Thank you all!
Hehe. Very mature attitude. Glad our ranting and raving and reviewing and noise and fury had a positive effect (other than me getting to stretch my argumentative and pedagogical skills).
niño-gusano

Post by niño-gusano »

Hahaha. The only reason that I can find to read the new Dune novels is that it would give me the chance to keep enjoying your arguments. If one of them falls in my hands...I´ll feel very tempted
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

niño-gusano wrote:I have been reading your comments and Omphalo´s reviews about the new Dune novels and I have decided not to read them. My time in this world is limited and I do not want to risk ruining my view of the Dune universe.
Thank you all!
I've always thought that if all of our efforts could keep just one person from reading those books it will all have been worth it. From now on everything else is just for fun. :character-cookiemonster:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

If I could keep one person from reading Sandworms I'd be proud. The rest of the books are bad, but Sandworms was the one that actually TURNED ME OFF DUNE for a while.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Thank you all!
I've always thought that if all of our efforts could keep just one person from reading those books it will all have been worth it. From now on everything else is just for fun. :character-cookiemonster:
Bonus!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

Well Met and Welcome!! have a spice beer and get settled in!!

If someone mentions the scrawlings of Brian Herbert and KJA.. turn around and run for your life..

You would get better prose reading the eisle signs in a grocery store.. and more entertainment.

KJA has dictated words in volume that fills pages of the equivilant of 90+ books, 90 percent of them in other universes (star wars, x-files, etc). Brian has penned words to pages in volume to the equivilant of 20+ books.. in universes that no one has any idea what the hell he was talking about or why. All these pages add up to about the excitment you get reading a new recipie off the side of a Kraft three cheese macaroni box.

Hunters, Sandworms, and POD are collectivly the worst books I have ever read in my entire life, just ahead of the prequels.

Ummmm Brian has disgraced his fathers legacy in ways that cant be measured.
Ummmm KJA is a meglomaniac.. who enjoys nothing more than hearing his self tell how good a dictator he is and how many
obscure awards he can rack up that amount to about as much significance as a weeblo badge for an ice cream stick cabin.

It would be a benefit to humanity and literature if we could retrieve all the air they sucked back from the rest of us for creating these monstrosities. Be warned, Be ware

Be Well,
The Spice Must Flow.....
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."