Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Writing Critique - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Post by SandRider »

you know, sometimes you just ain't right, and it worries me,
because I think you're going to have to be the one to actually
write the Orthodox Herbertarian Dune Conclusion {OH_Dune_7}
after we all argue about what Frank would have wanted for several years ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

'Rider says you ain't right, boy! Whatchew gonna do about that? :lol:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SR, you just brought a tear to my eye. :tissue2:

No innuendo intended (believe me, it needed to be said).
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
redbugpest wrote:**Edit** Just read the thread at DN. Can't say I could really support such a loose use of "Prescience Manipulation". **Edit**
Yeah, in the context they used it it was obviously intended to baffle the questioner with bullshit to make them stop asking questions.

The thing is that if they'd actually intended to have Norma prevent the explosion telekinetically they would have written something in the text showing this. This is a huge part of why people grow to profoundly dislike KJA - he refuses to admit mistakes. Why not just say "whoops, good point"?
This is part of why I am so big on the concept of a story that is never really "finished." A story that is embedded in a centrally stored web site (as opposed to ebooks, or video episode files, etc that are downloaded and are static once you have a copy; the creators can never simply change something in your copy unless you know there's a new version and choose to go get it just to see the change) can always be edited, even years or an entire lifetime after it's initially "published."

I hope to have a pretty damned good edit completed by the time any episode of my series (or any other creative work I end up doing in this format I'm developing) is published initially -- but the ability for me or anyone to whom I give such privileges, to simply log into the site and make a revision (stored in a "version history" changelog so it can always be rolled back if I wish) down the line, is very important. The idea that any work which is truly epic in scope can ever be perfect on the first try is just silly. Rather than wait forever in fear that my work will be imperfect, or compromise my passion so that I can accept that imperfection....why not continually strive to have opportunities to be better?

Oh, wait. That wouldn't be as profitable.... :roll:
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Pestie, where'd you go? You were signed on a few minutes ago!

Many of us are still waiting breathlessly for you to explain to us how Paul Atreides can be born in two different places. :think:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

TheDukester wrote:Pestie, where'd you go? You were signed on a few minutes ago!

Many of us are still waiting breathlessly for you to explain to us how Paul Atreides can be born in two different places. :think:
Quantum Mechanics. Simple, really.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:
TheDukester wrote:Pestie, where'd you go? You were signed on a few minutes ago!

Quantum Mechanics. Simple, really.
That would mean there is a probability he was born in each place.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Naw, Jessica just had a Navigator AND a Guild Ship in her birth canal.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

:cylon101: One of the arguments Penrose uses for objective reduction of the state vector is that the formalism of quantum mechanics technically allows for superposed states (such as a cat that is both dead and alive) to be measured.

(Can't quite remember how the argument goes though. Something to do with a 'density matrix' but the math on wiki is waaaaaay beyond me; this line is telling though: It is now generally accepted that the description of quantum mechanics in which all self-adjoint operators represent observables is untenable. )

His interpertation is quite interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_interpretation
If you're interested in Hameroff's ideas you may have come across it before though.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:Naw, Jessica just had a Navigator AND a Guild Ship in her birth canal.
...then Paul strolled out twirling a cane.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Naw, Jessica just had a Navigator AND a Guild Ship in her birth canal.
...then Paul strolled out twirling a cane.
...tweaking a moustache and wearing a bowler hat.