Dune 7: House of Brundurs

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Redstar

Dune 7: House of Brundurs

Post by Redstar »

Has anyone heard of the 1997 sequel to the Dune series called Dune 7, by a Romanian author, Florin Chirculescu? Using the pseudonym Patrick Herbert, he wrote that humanity had returned to Earth, now a frozen planet, and built large organic cities underneath the surface. Occasional skirmishes with Scattering forces were still occurring on orbit but with only unmanned ships fighting for the humans.

All humans had implants which enabled them to create and navigate a huge virtual reality network called "the vortex". Beneath the surface, there were small pockets of humans grouped in "legions", completely isolated from the cities' population, using their own version of vortex and pursuing the goal of eliminating each other so that only one legion remain on Earth. The story pretty much ignored the cliffhanger of CH:D.

It was only released in Romania, and I was curious if anyone here has read it, let alone heard of it. I've only been able to find one description, which is basically exactly what I wrote above.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I've heard of it, but only in a post exactly like this one.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

You probably mean mine over at DN a year ago. I just copy-pasted the thing, with a few changes.
A Thing of Eternity

Probably. It was a deja vu moment for sure.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

No, I haven't heard of that one. There are a couple of other Dune 7's floating around, but they were more recognizable as a sequel to CH:D.

Unfortunately, the story above sounds like someone took some plot elements they were working on and put them into the Dune universe. Unless I'm missing something.

HBJ
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

There's not really a lot of information I can find about this. I would just consider it another fan fiction, but apparently it was actually published in Romania... So I'd be interested in knowing if anyone did anything about that.

I remember suggesting over on DN that it may have actually been better than the "official" sequels, and soon after that statement was cut by the Almighty Moron.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

:lol:

Speculating that a story that no one has read might be better than the official sequels was not permitted? Good God.

So, from that, I would infer that we must all agree that *no* books, real or imagined, can possibly be better than the offical Dune sequels. Unless we want posts deleted at DN, that is.

:roll:

HBJ
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I'm kindda surprise the HLP let it be published...

Maybe it was before the KJA-era...

The synopsis sounds Matrix-ish... :)
A Thing of Eternity

They probably didn't know anything about it.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Indeed, i can't find anything substantial about it on the net... :|
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Google.ro only turned up two entries relevant to the book itself and they didn't say any more than your paragraph outline.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

I also have an outline for Dune 7 if I ever have the time I would write it, just because I know I could write it better then KJA and BH did. All fan fic pwns KJA's "work"

The outline sounds cool, but is a bit campy finding earth? Sort of Foundation and Earth. Phail.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Earth was never lost. That's where the CET was held.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I thought the CET was held on the moon. :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

UGH. :evil:

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID ASSHAT PICKLE-FUCKER SHIT.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

One GEoD epigraph seems to suggest rather strongly that Earth no longer exists ("This morning I was born in a yurt at the edge of a horse-plain in a land of a planet which no longer exists. ..."), but the planet is not specifically named and it's possible that in twenty millennia cultures could have arisen on other planets where people lived in yurts and raised horses.

At just 4.2 light years from Ecaz, there's bleeding little chance that Earth was simply "lost". If it was, the Guild Navigators aren't worth shit.

No, something happened to the planet between the CET and the events in Dune. But we're never told what.

Add: But one thing is certain: just like there was no atomic attack on Salusa Secundus, there was no planet-sterilizing atomic bombardment of Earth during the Jihad. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I always felt that Earth was lost, in the sense that people simply forgot they were on it and slowly called it something else, ala Rakis. Urth, anyone? :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Scytale knew of earth and so did Paul, both refer to "The Golden Age of Earth". Both seemed irritated that others hadn't studied the subject.

Paul had a piece of a conch shell from "Mother Earth" on his balcony.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Okay?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Redstar wrote:Okay?
if earth was suddenly destroyed.. i dont think relics like that would have survived or been shipped off beforehand
I didn't suggest that Earth was destroyed.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Most people had forgotten about it...
FH in CoD wrote:It gave him a sense of timeless buoyancy to know that few in his universe would recall Chaucer or know any London except the village on Gansireed. St. Thomas was preserved in the Orange Catholic Bible and the Azhar Book, but Canterbury was gone from the memories of men, as was the planet which had known it.
or believed it mythical...
FH in DM wrote: "Earth? Golden Age?" Stilgar was irritated and puzzled. Why would Paul wish to discuss myths from the dawn of time?
but if Leto II ("MEMORIES R ME") suggests it "no longer exists" (GEoD), I'm more inclined to believe him. But it's not conclusive.

As for people having relics like natural objects (conch shells) and cultural artefacts (van Gogh paintings), that doesn't guarantee it still exists: there were well over eleven thousand years (at least up to the Jihad and CET period) for people to have taken such things into space. They took the plants and animals they needed for physical survival, after all. Why wouldn't they also take reminders and souvenirs for their mental/spiritual health?

The Bene Gesserit would remember where Earth was. And the Guild would know as well. They wouldn't be affected by changes in names over time.

(Oh, and please, not "Earth = Gansireed" because of that village named London again. Been there, done that: No.)
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

SandChigger wrote:The Bene Gesserit would remember where Earth was. And the Guild would know as well. They wouldn't be affected by changes in names over time.
Everyone knows where Geidi Prime is, or Arrakis, Caladan, and the Bene Gesserit and Guild would recall their original names. But everyone else calls them Gammu, Rakis, and Dan. So I could see Earth being called something else and "forgotten" through the ages in that way, especially given that it already has hundreds of names no one can agree on.
Last edited by Redstar on 14 Feb 2019 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

In GEoD it's refered to as Terra.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

God I hate that name.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

hahahaha! "Terra" is how Earth is called in portuguese.

I always thought that Earth was destroyed between DUNE and the CET period. Because of all the phrases spread through the series as "no longer exists" and etc.

But I agree that BG and SG would never forgot where Earth is, or what happened to it. Not even Leto II.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Redstar wrote:God I hate that name.
Why? It's just Earth in Latin. Or Portuguese, as Lisan has pointed out.

It forms a perfectly usable adjective (Terran; don't ask me where FH got his ridiculous "Terranic" :roll: ), which you can't claim for English Earth. (Earther? Fuck that.)

I actually prefer Terra, Luna and Sol.

To each his own. :)