Initial Reaction

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Schu wrote:
Redstar wrote:Star Wars is clearly less intelligent than the Dune series and other bronze age science-fiction novels, and has a few well-known authors bashing it (OSC, for one).
Not only that, but it's derivative of Dune.
That goes without saying.
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Redstar wrote:There are times when I narrowly avoid a horrible accident or a near-death experience and I think to myself "In some parallel universe, I'm dead. I must be in the good one."
Great minds think alike. So I'm not the only one who's read too much SF after all. :D
Redstar wrote:I still find it unnerving that they hired a Star Wars "writer", of all those perfectly capable and willing people out there.
KJA wasn't picked as the best man for the job.... KJA approached them! Stuck his foot in the door and never let go. The rest is history.

But to get back on topic:
The first time I stumbled on House Atreides in the bookstore, I was pleasantly surprised. More Dune! After reading it, I thought it was OK, I just ignored the inconsistencies. But House Harkonnen opened my eyes.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I read all the books through in one go, from Dune to the last of the BlowJob trilogy. The House books weren't too bad, but Butlerian Jihad just had an air of "oh people bought the last lot of books so let's just churn out another as they'll seem to buy anything". The next book, Machine Crusade, was just awful and the last of the trilogy whose name I can't remember was absolute shite.

For no reason I can explain, I then went on to read Hunters and eventually Sandworms. I think I've finally learnt my lesson and I haven't read Paul of Dune.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

dunaddict wrote:
Redstar wrote:There are times when I narrowly avoid a horrible accident or a near-death experience and I think to myself "In some parallel universe, I'm dead. I must be in the good one."
Great minds think alike. So I'm not the only one who's read too much SF after all. :D
Redstar wrote:I still find it unnerving that they hired a Star Wars "writer", of all those perfectly capable and willing people out there.
KJA wasn't picked as the best man for the job.... KJA approached them! Stuck his foot in the door and never let go. The rest is history.

But to get back on topic:
The first time I stumbled on House Atreides in the bookstore, I was pleasantly surprised. More Dune! After reading it, I thought it was OK, I just ignored the inconsistencies. But House Harkonnen opened my eyes.
I think Kevie the Hack proved that he could crap an airport novel every 6-12 months that -- with DUNE in big letters on the covers -- could make enough money for the HLP to be worthwhile.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:My freshman year of college saw me doing a ton more reading. I picked up some of the new Star Wars novels since I had loved the Zhan trilogy. KJA's trilogy was the second I picked up. I have no idea how I finished the entire trilogy, maybe it was out of pure awe that someone could write that much about Star Wars and get just about every detail wrong. Needless to say, when I heard they had handed KJA the keys to Dune, I went on the warpath...When HA came out, I blacklisted it for about 6 months, then bought the paperback just to see how it was. I made it to about 1/2 way through the House Harkonnen book, to the scene where the BG go invisible and mock Baron Harkonnen. I slammed the book, threw it to the floor, and I've been a die-hard crazy OH ever since.
This quote should be pinned somewhere.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!