Secret of KJA Success

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

Himself or the Nebulas or their selection of Kevin as editor. ;)

Assuming he's not really stupid, I do hope he has come to his senses since that initial comment. He probably saw "group stupidity" and let his ego take over and posted before really thinking it through.

I mean, let's be real: who am I, really? I'm no mover or shaker in the world. And my blog has a very small readership. (Someone evidently recently called us a "mutual admiration society"? :lol: Hell, we're more inbred than the SFWA! :P )

But, hey, who am I to complain if he wants to raise my validity by noticing me? :P

(And I've already sketched out a "Mike Resnick shat on my blog" post. ;) )
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hey, Mike, if you're that touchy about an edition that's not scheduled to even appear until 2011, then maybe you made the wrong fucking choice.

Hmmm? What do you think, you over-sensitive gasbag?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I'll be interested to see if he comes back. After your response, Chig, he may just write us off as some weird anti-KJA cult (which is probably what KJA has told him we are anyway), and ignore us.

The thing is, I suspect that KJA comes across as a nice guy to those who meet him and work with him. So if they know him personally, and don't criticize his talent in any way, they don't see the snide, self-promoting, franchise-coattail-riding, egotistical, talentless hack that we do.

I wonder what Resnick's reaction would be if we explained why we dislike KJA's work so much, and why we think any prestige from the SFWA is undeserved? It may actually worry him to hear fans talk about his chosen editor in such a light - especially if he thinks it will affect sales of the forthcoming anthology.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Mike Resnick, on March 19th, 2009 at 2:56 am wrote:I think “for all I know” is the operative phrase in your message. I certainly
believe you are displaying all you know.

Ben Bova has 6 Hugos as Best Editor. Bob Silverberg is a Nebula Grandmaster with 5 Hugos and 5 Nebulas. I have 5 Hugos and am, according to Locus, the all-time leading award winner, living or dead, for short fiction. Other members of the anthology committee have comparable credentials.

We think he’ll do a fine job. You don’t. We think he’s not a hack. You think he is. I leave it to any fair-minded person which side has the bona fides and the experience to make a reasoned decision.

– Mike Resnick, who’s through answering the attack dog
SandChigger, on March 19th, 2009 at 4:11 am wrote:Well, I have to give you this, Mike: you’ve shown more stones than Kevin himself or any of the male descendants of Frank Herbert.

Or is it that you really are just stupider?

I mean, come on: are you really so clueless or thin-skinned that you can’t ignore something posted on a blog that pretty much no one reads?

What a joke.

But since I seem to have hurt him’s feewings, I’m oh so sorry to have maligned the judgment of your august committee in the selection of the editor for the anthology of the circle-jerk awards bestowed by your inbred organization. Really I am. Honest.

(And, um, people who make a point of saying they’re “through” with something invariably come back to check if there’s been a response. Catch ya later! ;) )
Edit: HBJ, please feel free to drop by and do just that. I'm afraid I'm more interested in staying in "attack dog" mode with this one. :P
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Fuck him. I'm letting him have it with both barrels.

I'm just ashamed that I ever cared about things like Nebulas and Hugos. It's all just a big circle-jerk, like some of my more cynical cronies used to assert.

Joke's on me, I guess.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

:laughing:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I see my previous post came a bit too late :).

After seeing Resnick pull rank, and start listing all the various awards as "bona fides" for their expertise at literary criticism, I think it's a lost cause. He won't listen to anything we say; we're not smart enough.

I've read Bova and Silverberg and some of the others in the list, and I think their awards are deserved. I also think there's a reason that KJA doesn't have either a Nebula or a Hugo. I do think those awards mean something.

But I don't for one minute believe that those awards mean that those people see something wonderful in KJA's work that I don't. I've read enough fiction in various genres for enough years to have a pretty sound idea about what plotting, characterization, and language constitutes "good writing". When I read KJA, I see an inability to write effectively in any of those areas.

But this is as much about KJA's editing ability as his writing ability. For that, I look no further than his "critical darlings" quote. That quote alone tells me that he not only doesn't recognize or enjoy really good writing, but that he has a deep seated resentment of those who can write better than he does, and succeed at doing so. This man should *not* be choosing stories for an award-winning anthology.

No doubt many of the SFWA board have worked with KJA, and I can believe KJA is a professional - and perhaps enjoyable - author to work with. But I really wonder how many of the SFWA board have read KJA's work, or seen him react to criticism. I wonder how many of them have thought about how respectful he's been of the Dune legacy. I wonder whether they've considered whether he deserves the honour of editing such a prestigious anthology.

HBJ
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Short-listed as bridesmaid, to be exact. ;)

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock: ... :lol:

Now let us discuss B.B.'s use of language ... and metaphor.... :P
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I certainly wasn't.

IIRC, KJA was only short-listed for a Nebula nom. So I thought I'd tweak your metaphor a tad to make KJA look even less impressive.

HBJ,
sucking all the humor out of the joke by explaining it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I might have been.

But I'm not sure now... :?

Post-27 here! :P

That's right, he was only short-listed, wasn't he? :D
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Has KJA ever been directly asked if he is a scientologist?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm pretty sure it was denied on DN, but that means nothing.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:
Chigger wrote:(Oh yeah. I had a look in the access log to see where he came from. Evidently found my blog via Technorati. What do you want to bet he's trolling the Web looking for reactions? Wink )
what do you wanna bet he found your blog while googling himself ?
Then he should be here any day now!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Who ? Mike Resnick ?

Mike Resnick
Mike Resnick
Mike Resnick

that guy ?

Mike Resnick ?

some kinda fantasy writer, isn't he ?

that Mike Resnick guy ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

^^^ Hey, Google bot! Look up there! ^^^

Or here:

Mike Resnick Kevin J. Anderson editor Nebula anthology hack destroying Dune with Frank Herbert's brain-dead son dark is the new chic
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

LOL :) It's like Derek Smart all over again (a rather infamous video game programmer). Just type his name on the internet and the freak (or one of his ankle-biters) comes running. :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Did he ever finish Battlecruiser 3000? No? Way too ambitious a project.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Jizz Christ, guess Mikey gets a little touchy when someone talks about his girlfriend!

Greasing Kevy's Nebula for him...

CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

has anyone found a photo of the KJA female>?

Im guesisng about 250Lbs red curly hair 5'6 or 5'5 in hight

Im going to get put KJA's face on a big sign at the next scientology protest I go to.

The caption will be "Proof that Scientology does not work"
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Ampoliros wrote:Did he ever finish Battlecruiser 3000? No? Way too ambitious a project.
It was released, after seven years in development, the longest development period of any video game in history...yes, even longer than Daikatana :)

Apparently, the thing was a bug-ridden mess. More entertainment was to be had out of the whole controversy surrounding Smart and the ridiculous development time than the actual final product. Much like KJA and his books. :)
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

GamePlayer wrote:It was released, after seven years in development, the longest development period of any video game in history...yes, even longer than Daikatana :)
Not the longest. You're forgetting Duke Nukem Forever
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I consider DNF to be vaporware, not a development record. If it's ever released, then it'll be named top spot for development time. Though I suppose, depending upon what your criteria is for "development", Fallout 3 would probably take the title from BC3000AD for actual released software. Fallout 3 was in development for 8 or 9 years, as I recall.
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Fair enough. Here's another 3Drealms game that was eventually released....Eleven years after developement started in 1995: Prey. Published in 2006.
I played it and it was actually pretty good.

EDIT:
Fallout 3 was published by Bethesda and I don't think they worked on it for 9 years. More like 4.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

There were at least two versions of Fallout 3 that went from Interplay to Black Isle to Bethesda before it ever saw release. Rumor was it began development after Fallout 2 (1998) before becoming Van Buren which then became Fallout 3 (Oblivion).

Yeah, Prey would definitely be a record.