Your Favorite TV shows

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Your Favorite TV shows

Post by Freakzilla »

I've only watched a couple episodes of Cleavland... meh. It has it's moments.

I don't think the creator needs a vehicle to be any kind of politically incorrect, FG seems to do just fine in that respect.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I haven't bothered to watch it for much the same reason - it looked like more of the same.

FG I go back and forth on. Sometimes I think it's great, sometimes I watch five minutes and lose patience with it.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Hunchback Jack wrote:FG I go back and forth on. Sometimes I think it's great, sometimes I watch five minutes and lose patience with it.

HBJ
They're not a fan of consistancy. I have a hard time explaining the show to my wife. She doesn't understand who on the show understands Stewie and is totally turned off by Brian's love for Lois.

I usually give up and say, "It doesn't matter, IT'S A CARTOON!"

:doh:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

HEY!!! :naughty:

That's almost as bad as "It's only FICTION!" :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:HEY!!! :naughty:

That's almost as bad as "It's only FICTION!" :lol:
I never claimed to enjoy it as a theatrical classic. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

As of the moment the only shows I'm watching with regularity are TDS, Colbert Report and Venture Bros. I've been continuing to follow the V series...its maintained a level of watchability but I'm still rather disappointed in the direction they are taking it.

I liked the FG Blue Harvest episode but as for the rest of it I chuckle a bit and then change the channel.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

i can't stop watching V either. I also can't stop yelling at the TV when its on. My wife thinks that's pretty funny.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I don't like that they seem to skip over all of the relevant discussions and changes in thought and politics that would be created by the arrival of extra-terrestrials.

The (Catholic) Church just "accepts" that the Visitors are God's creation as well. What do the V's think of this? Where are the wing-nuts freaking out that the V's aren't aliens but obviously have to be Demons sent to liberalize us all into Hell? How about the Rapture?

Good job taking an extremely current political point: Universal health care; and totally ignore discussing any of the political fall-out that dropping completely free universal health care into a capitalist society would have.
1) the main characters just gained a great pool of resistance fighters and financial donors: the HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY!
2) missed out on one of the best lines from the original V:
"Talk about an offer we can't refuse!"
"I wonder what would happen if we did?"

The Visitors being here amongst us secretly for an entire generation, maybe longer, stinks of piggy-backing both BSG and They Live!.

The problem is I assume that most of the writers are aware of these problems, but are constrained by the politics of being on Broadcast TV. I still tune in with the hope that maybe, just maybe, they might deal with just one of these issues in a relevant matter.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:The (Catholic) Church just "accepts" that the Visitors are God's creation as well. What do the V's think of this? Where are the wing-nuts freaking out that the V's aren't aliens but obviously have to be Demons sent to liberalize us all into Hell? How about the Rapture?
I'm fairly certain that we will soon be told that the V's are in charge of the churches, and that they are greasing the skids for acceptance of the V's by telling people it's OK. Imagine the shock when the Pope is declared to be a V! Bet they wouldn't try to do that with a Billy Graham type of character.
Ampoliros wrote:Good job taking an extremely current political point: Universal health care; and totally ignore discussing any of the political fall-out that dropping completely free universal health care into a capitalist society would have.
1) the main characters just gained a great pool of resistance fighters and financial donors: the HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY!
2) missed out on one of the best lines from the original V:
"Talk about an offer we can't refuse!"
"I wonder what would happen if we did?"
Political debate in prime time? How uncouth!
Ampoliros wrote:The Visitors being here amongst us secretly for an entire generation, maybe longer, stinks of piggy-backing both BSG and They Live!.
Not sure I would ever have thougt to include those two in the same thought.
Ampoliros wrote:The problem is I assume that most of the writers are aware of these problems, but are constrained by the politics of being on Broadcast TV. I still tune in with the hope that maybe, just maybe, they might deal with just one of these issues in a relevant matter.
Unfortunately, they have a very good point. They cant afford to lose the easily offended.

Goodnight Golden Path!
trang

Post by trang »

Were you expecting a large Political/Philosophical outlay for the Show V? hope not. As for the V's being Gods creatures too, I believe at least the RCC in real life has already made a statement about the existence of ET life, and it does not conflict with their doctrine. I'm not sure about the rest of Christianity but would guess they follow similar course.

I like V so far, faster paced than some shows in their infancy, but has potential to skew all over the place. Just taking it as it comes and trying to have fun with it:) In just three episodes, V's are here and kicking ass and taking names! the resistance is starting with a faction of rebel lizards called the "5th Column" coming along. The even dropped the hint about the V weakness.. them being "connected", my guess some kind of drug addiction or similar control mechanism. They all act like they are on 5 hits of prozac.

I wonder how they are gonna do a V in its native look? CGI or Real Makup.. should be fun.
I also wonder how soon we will start seeing other actors from wayward gone Sci-Fi shows? Summer Glau as a V anyone?

Stargate Universe is not going well, IMHO, watching feels like I am sitting in middle of the room, holding a 50lb boulder, waiting for someone to come in and tell me which way to roll it. Just hasnt developed out like I though it would. 9 episodes in and still working out character development, and which way the story is going to go, as the story(very little change from the 1st episode really) is moving. People on a runaway ancient spaceship, that they know very little about, and don't have much control over.
Story development so far...

"hey we need air!"
"Hey we need water!"
"Hey we need Food!"
"hey we don't feel so good"
"Hey we need to get home"

Where are all the resources on earth? Where is Rodney from Atlantis??? Where is Daniel Jackson from SG1??? These two are foremost experts on the ancient language and tech, why are they not utilized in the beginning to help diagnose the ship systems and broken areas and get them functional?

Sci-Fi wise, sticking with Fringe, its fun and kooky at the same time, X-FILES Lite. Heroes is heroes, I watch because, well I have been watching since day 1 so what the hell.

I havent looked is there going to be another season of LOST? or 24? those two are pretty dam good.
Caprica coming so looking forward to that also.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

trang wrote:They all act like they are on 5 hits of prozac.
They are emulating the blank stares and quick movements of terrestrial lizards.
trang wrote:Stargate Universe is not going well, IMHO, watching feels like I am sitting in middle of the room, holding a 50lb boulder, waiting for someone to come in and tell me which way to roll it. Just hasnt developed out like I though it would. 9 episodes in and still working out character development, and which way the story is going to go, as the story(very little change from the 1st episode really) is moving. People on a runaway ancient spaceship, that they know very little about, and don't have much control over.
Story development so far...

"hey we need air!"
"Hey we need water!"
"Hey we need Food!"
"hey we don't feel so good"
"Hey we need to get home"

Where are all the resources on earth? Where is Rodney from Atlantis??? Where is Daniel Jackson from SG1??? These two are foremost experts on the ancient language and tech, why are they not utilized in the beginning to help diagnose the ship systems and broken areas and get them functional?
They will get a bunch of brakes from me. They are the only traditional Space SF show on TV right now, and I'm actually liking all the character development. Hoping it pays off later on.
trang wrote:Sci-Fi wise, sticking with Fringe, its fun and kooky at the same time, X-FILES Lite. Heroes is heroes, I watch because, well I have been watching since day 1 so what the hell.
Never watched Fringe before, but I have all the episodes from this season on DVR. Maybe Ill get to them over Christmas.
trang wrote:I havent looked is there going to be another season of LOST? or 24? those two are pretty dam good.
Caprica coming so looking forward to that also.
Lost starts back up for a final season in January. Looking forward to Caprica too.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Okay well the mid-season break for V was about as craptastic as it can get.

Punishment for V's is being skinned, they seem to think this is pretty nasty, even the rebel V's don't like skinning V's.

wait, aren't they wearing a fake skin? the 5th column V seemed to be pretty offended when his buddy said lets skin a V and put it on TV. I'm pretty sure the resistance guy meant just peel off the human skin not peel off ALL the skin. Also, as reptiles they would most likely shed skin as they grow up.

V's can cure cancer and detect aneurysms 6 months before they happen but can't cure the common cold.

Obvious obligatory Pregnancy, obvious 'omnious'(sic) pullout to reveal a MASSIVE FLEET OF V SHIPS.

Humans are dumb and predictable, so we will scare them and then give them evil flu shots.

Second Coolest suicide pill ever though. (1st still belongs to TEAM AMERICA)

Best quote I've found on a V discussion board:
Ain't it cool wrote:i think i'm gonna start a drinking game with this show, every time there's a shot of anna v staring out a window or at somebody with that half-cocked mona lisa smile, you take a drink. that will make the show more entertaining.
trang

Post by trang »

will download and watch new V today, I work mondays and tuesday overnights so miss them.

Dexter is another series I watch (via download), like the series a lot. Just watched the latest episode, and had a kick ass twist at end didnt see coming:)

Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

The only shows i watch now are The Wire (greatest tv show ever made) and The Tudors.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
The_Preacher

Post by The_Preacher »

Current
Family Guy
The Mentalist - formulaic and obvious but I like the Sherlock Holmesian bent to it and I predict that, like Holmes with Moriarty, Patrick Jane and Red John do each other in at a latter-day Reichenbach Falls
Survivor - my one and ONLY reality TV guilty pleasure
Nova - depending on the topic

Past Shows
The West Wing
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
Boston Legal
Rome - Bruno Heller who brings us The Mentalist
Star Trek: The Next Generation
If Frank Herbert were alive today he'd be spinning in his grave if he could see what they've done to his legacy.

I bought the very first prequel on Amazon as soon as it was available. God! I wouldn't wipe me arse with that trash! Never again, says I. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

The_Preacher wrote:Past Shows
The West Wing
What, no Sports Night? What kind of Sorkin fan are you? ;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
The_Preacher

Post by The_Preacher »

Spicelon wrote:
The_Preacher wrote:Past Shows
The West Wing
What, no Sports Night? What kind of Sorkin fan are you? ;)
I was tempted to make mention of it in "shows I'd like to see". Will have to look for the torrent.
If Frank Herbert were alive today he'd be spinning in his grave if he could see what they've done to his legacy.

I bought the very first prequel on Amazon as soon as it was available. God! I wouldn't wipe me arse with that trash! Never again, says I. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Military Channel:
Anatomy of
Tank Overhaul
Clash of Wings
Warlords
Weapons Races
Weaponology
Top Tens

Science Channel:
Survivorman
Heavy Metal Task Force
What the Ancients Knew
Build It Bigger
Extremem Machines
Cosmos (yes, Carl Sagan!)
Coming in Dec.
Prophets of Science Fiction
SciFi Science

History Channel:
Lock 'n' Load with R. Lee Ermy
How the Earth was Made
The Universe
WWII in HD

Others:
The Simpson's
Family Guy
Football
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

yup the Simpsons definitely, I grwew up with them and homer taught me everyting I need to know about life(which did land me some uncomfortable situations :) )

Recently I quite enjoyed Dexter

The Lost Room was interesting too
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:yup the Simpsons definitely, I grwew up with them and homer taught me everyting I need to know about life(which did land me some uncomfortable situations :) )
I grew up with them, too. It's funny, when I was a kid I liked Bart. Now that I'm a parent, Homer is a role model and my kids like Bart.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:yup the Simpsons definitely, I grwew up with them and homer taught me everyting I need to know about life(which did land me some uncomfortable situations :) )
I grew up with them, too. It's funny, when I was a kid I liked Bart. Now that I'm a parent, Homer is a role model and my kids like Bart.
history repeats itself ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Yeah, but I didn't have FG. The scary thing is, they like Peter. :shock:
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Yeah, but I didn't have FG. The scary thing is, they like Peter. :shock:
yup that's scary indeed :)
trang

Post by trang »

Married with Children is an oldy favorite, Sympathize with Al Bundy:)

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Freakzilla wrote: Cosmos (yes, Carl Sagan!)
Sagan! Woo Hoo! Yeah, Cosmos was an influence on me when it first aired in Australia. I was 12 or so I think.

Speaking of which, enjoy Auto-tuned Sagan. Okay, wrong thread, but apropos.

Freak, your list reminded me of Discovery Channel's Mythbusters, which is extremely geeky but utterly entertaining. I must admit I have been known to watch Dirty Jobs, too, for a good dose of I-Can't-Watch-Anymore-Oh-Maybe-Just-Five-More-Minutes.

I watch some UK shows via Means Nefarious and Ungodly, as they don't air here:

QI (an informative quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry)
Top Gear (a motor show that is occasionally actually about cars)

... both of which are funny as hell.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks