Public Enemies

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

GamePlayer
70mm God

Public Enemies

Post by GamePlayer »

Being a whore of nearly all things Michael Mann, I would be remiss in my duties if I did not share the trailer to his latest film, Public Enemies :)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/publicenemies/

Bring on the tommy guns!
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

What did you think of Miami Vice, GP?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Oh, that is going to be so cool. I just asked my husband if he would take me to go see it when it comes out. For some reason, I did not have to twist his arm. :lol:

Seriously, This does look like it will be a good action flic.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos
I didn't like the new Miami Vice film. It was stylistically very much Mann in the middle of his digital video phase, but unlike his film before that (the brilliant Hitchcock-like Collateral) Vice lacked a compelling story and interesting characters. Mann is known for his vibrant characters and solid dialog almost as much as his camera eye. It's often been said Mann could direct an entire film with just two actors in a room and make it utterly compelling. Vice on the other hand was a technically sharp film with Mann's visual style in full gear, but the story wasn't interesting at all. We have a tale that is virtually flat without any kind of dramatic intensity. Each scene was just going through the motions and lacked unexpected turns or dramatic climax. Which brings us to the characters and neither Colin Farrel or Jamie Foxx were capable of mustering even one scene with engaging performances. This was a buddy cop film without a buddy cop rapport between the two lead characters. It's all built into a technically bleak film without any dramatic substance we've come to expect from a Mann film. Very disappointing.

Eyes High
Hehehe, no doubt :)
I'm very excited about this one. I like the idea for the film, the casting and the look of it. Definitely one to keep an eye on for this year.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

It's based on a great book, too. Same title; it's by Bryan Burrough:

Public Enemies
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.