kevin j. anderson: Gigantic Idiot?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I've never been able to read Dreamer of Dune cover to cover, but there are passages that make me think Brian was jealous of the friendship between FH and Ransom. Ransom wasn't that much older than Brian. Who knows, maybe FH even saw him as the son he never had and Brian picked up on it.

There's also the talent factor. Ransom has it, Brian Herbert doesn't. :wink:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just had a peek at TheKJA Twitter page. Evidently 'Becca has just had foot surgery. (Seems to have a lot of problem with her legs. IIRC she sprained an ankle when they were cruising Alaska. 'Course ... the human leg can only "stand" so much... ;) )

Here are some of Mr All Heart's posts:
TheKJA wrote:Sitting in the waiting room with Reb b4 her foot surgery. Not the best writing environment, but at least the phone's not ringing.
about 19 hours ago from web

Reb out of surgery, everything fine. I've got a thermos of her favorite Starbucks waiting for her, as soon as she wakes up
about 16 hours ago from web

Back home with the patient, not groggy at all (me or Reb!). Will set up a table to keep keying in DUNE correx while we watch "Burn Notice."
about 13 hours ago from web

While Reb relaxes after surgery, watching Michael Moore's SICKO. Horrifying movie! Maybe not best thing after a day in the hospital.
about 6 hours ago from web
Well thank gawd the phone wasn't ringing while he was in the waiting room, eh! With her BEFORE her surgery and he's thinking about the writing environment. Does this mean he had a laptop with him? A notepad? Oh, no, it had to be the recorder! :roll:

And again he's doing correction work while watching a movie. Says a lot about quality control, no? No wonder McDune is so fucked up: this shithead can't concentrate on one thing at a time.

Sicko horrifying, huh? Poor Kevin! The trip to the hospital was so traumatic for him. I bet he didn't get any real work done today at all. :(

:roll:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

SwordMaster wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Isn't part of the story that a fair number of people had contacted them over the years wanting to write stories in the Duniverse or collaborate with Brian? And that Brian was just coming around to the idea of doing something when Kevin went on the offensive? A matter of fortuitous timing for the hacks ... and continuing sorrow for true fans of Dune.

I'm pretty sure Byron said that the HLP contacted some people as well but were turned down. (I remember the name Dan Simmons coming up in some such connection, but Simmons refuses to even reply to inquiries about the matter.)

Any serious, intelligent author should realize how difficult it would be to write in someone else's universe, let alone Frank Herbert's Duniverse.

Fools rush in. Kevin gets to lead the pack.
But again, my point about Dr. Willis E. McNelly maybe far fetched that he could write anything close to the same quality, but at least he would not contradict the entire story x 1000

Plus he is an actual literary mind on various classic poets, and novelists, like where did KJA get his community collage paper? Not that educational credentails matter but I still think The Dune Encyclopedia is the best non Frank work on Dune.
Willis McNelly died 07 April 2003.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um ... yep, there is that. :(

The Dune Encyclopedia is interesting and fun as far as fanfic goes (far more fun than the officially sanctioned fanfic gruel being flogged about as canon in some quarters), but it's just plain silly in places. (The ornithopter clams is the example most often cited, but take a look at the article on Ecaz for another example: a habitable planet in the star system nearest to Earth that isn't discovered until something like 8000 B.G. And the entry for Galach, while written by a linguist, is completely unrealistic in terms of the changes that would occur in a language over a period of 20,000+ years. Plus it completely ignores the Slavic side of the Inglo-Slavic mix.)

Still, McNelly and his collaborators created something wonderful, however flawed. His/Their work certainly deserves more than the short shrift given it by the HLP. (Especially when it looks so much like they did refer to it in hiking McDune.)
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

SandChigger wrote:
And again he's doing correction work while watching a movie. Says a lot about quality control, no? No wonder McDune is so fucked up: this shithead can't concentrate on one thing at a time.
You should post this at the Amazon.com Dune forums!
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh no, I insist that you do it. :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I SIMPLY CANNOT BELIEVE THIS SHIT.

THAT STUPID MOTHER-FUCKER KJA HAS POSTED ON THE "DUNE" BLOG ON DUNE NOVELS ABOUT HIS WIFE'S DAMNED FOOT SURGERY.

Damn. The Herberts are SPINELESS FUCKING MORONS.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Truth.

They've just literally handed over the keys to one of the great literary legacies of our era. And they handed them to the most notorious hack working in the field today.

Seriously, all kidding aside: fuck you, Byron Merritt. And fuck you, too, HLP, you fucking spineless jellyfish.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

seconded.

FUCK YOU, MERRITT.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

That's disgusting.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Um ... yep, there is that. :(

The Dune Encyclopedia is interesting and fun as far as fanfic goes (far more fun than the officially sanctioned fanfic gruel being flogged about as canon in some quarters), but it's just plain silly in places. (The ornithopter clams is the example most often cited, but take a look at the article on Ecaz for another example: a habitable planet in the star system nearest to Earth that isn't discovered until something like 8000 B.G. And the entry for Galach, while written by a linguist, is completely unrealistic in terms of the changes that would occur in a language over a period of 20,000+ years. Plus it completely ignores the Slavic side of the Inglo-Slavic mix.)

Still, McNelly and his collaborators created something wonderful, however flawed. His/Their work certainly deserves more than the short shrift given it by the HLP. (Especially when it looks so much like they did refer to it in hiking McDune.)
I agree with this. The Dune Encyclopedia works as a fascinating tangent to the Dune universe that doesn't necessarily get it right, but it does work within the spirit of the Herbert Dune universe. The Dune Encyclopedia is a very interesting failure that offers something worth reading, unlike the novels of the HLP and KJA, which are completely worthless failures on every level.

At least there's an electronic copy of the DE around :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote: At least there's an electronic copy of the DE around :)
Yes.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

GamePlayer wrote:

I agree with this. The Dune Encyclopedia works as a fascinating tangent to the Dune universe that doesn't necessarily get it right, but it does work within the spirit of the Herbert Dune universe. The Dune Encyclopedia is a very interesting failure that offers something worth reading, unlike the novels of the HLP and KJA, which are completely worthless failures on every level.

Yah remember guys, McNelly wrote a chapter of Butlarian Jihad. Brian never even called him back. Sad he passed away a few years later. Now dont get me wrong Dune Encyclopedia is not the BEST, but I just dont see how KJA got the prize.

Has anyone seen his wife? Not suprised she had foot and leg issues.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SwordMaster wrote:Not suprised she had foot and leg issues.
I'm not sure what you mean by that one, are you making a FMD allusion?
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

inhuien wrote:
SwordMaster wrote:Not suprised she had foot and leg issues.
I'm not sure what you mean by that one, are you making a FMD allusion?
I was saying she is a bit chubby and it was a low blow but I really do hate KJA.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Schu

Post by Schu »

Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote: At least there's an electronic copy of the DE around :)
Yes.
who do I have to either screw or threaten to screw to get it?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just guess. :P
Schu

Post by Schu »

Everyone?

AGAIN?

God dammit. I'm tired. Forget it.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Is it time to run a train on schu again? Yahoo! :)
I'll try to find it later today.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Schu

Post by Schu »

GamePlayer wrote:Is it time to run a train on schu again? Yahoo! :)
I'll try to find it later today.
Thanks T'Pog :D
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

SwordMaster wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:

Yah remember guys, McNelly wrote a chapter of Butlarian Jihad. Brian never even called him back. Sad he passed away a few years later. Now dont get me wrong Dune Encyclopedia is not the BEST, but I just dont see how KJA got the prize.

Has anyone seen his wife? Not suprised she had foot and leg issues.
Its no wonder why McNeilly wasnt chosen, he was too good of an author to co-writte anything with BH. Brian's ineptitude would just jump to your eyesight.
They needed someone who's writting skill would be on par with Brian's. A turd that would be indistinguishable with the other turd, both in smell, colour and texture. They needed...KJA :shock:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

say, lemme take this opportunity to tell y'all that the tittie bars in
Corpus Christi are FUCKING AWESOME... (which I already knew, but
I digress ...)

I just spent a great night with a little 22-year old in my lap -
less than an "A" cup and goddamn did I get handsy ....

at one point, I said, "I bet you cain't even push them things together
enough to catch my face up in them" and she did, and really couldn't
but lemme get a little nipple in on my tongue.

sweet.

I love me some South Texas.
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And that is why Kevin J. Anderson is a gigantic idiot! :lol:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you know, actually it is ....

Keith wouldn't last two minutes in some of the saloons I frequent.

Providing Rebecca would let him go in the first place.

All the excitement & adventure in his life happens only in his imagination ....

tool.
ImageImage

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think *that's* a candidate for post of the year. :)

The descriptive language, the enthusiastic delivery, the sheer unexpectedness of it ... 10/10 SR.

HBJ