Global Warming

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandRider
Watermaster

Global Warming

Post by SandRider »

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN SPLIT FROM ANOTHER

As much as I think the oil industry is the Child of Satan and everything should be run off
renewable electricity, that's not going to happen for atleast 100 years.

I remember seeing a report on the Alberta oil sands back in the early 80s - the projections for
just how much oil was there were staggering. So staggering, it scared the Arabs into overproduction
and the drastic fall in prices back then. (There were other reasons, of course, but the threat of the
potential production was a part of it.)

The problem was the technology required to process the oil was incredibly expensive and in its
infancy. That's not true today. So you've got to look at the real economic benefits to Canada in
exploiting this resource and the desire to balance power with the oil-producing Arab countries.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I've heard that there's more oil under the Alaskan North Slope than in Saudi Arabia.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Y'all will have to fight the Russians for that.

Better start the military build-up now ....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:...due to global warming...
*cough, cough* BULLSHIT! *cough, cough*
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:Y'all will have to fight the Russians for that.

Better start the military build-up now ....
Hey, they sold us that land fair and square.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

no, not Alaska, Sarah & Todd Palin have got us covered on that.

there's large sections of the arctic technically claimed by the Beaver and the Bear ...

and all that's been foretold in the Book of Daniel ....
ImageImage

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

So....25 years from now the World's Superpowers will be China and Canada?!?!?!
"Okay, so who's the president in 1985."
"Ronald Regan"
"Ronald Regan, the actor?!?!?"
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Pfffft....

I'm amazed to find people on a DUNE board so ignorant of the impact a population can have on its own planet. Frank Herbert would back me up in saying that humans are largely responsible for the current shift in climate.

Fact 1: CO2 makes things get hotter, as it's more susceptible to the greenhouse effect.

Fact 2: Humans produce shitloads of CO2. Much more than the natural carbon cycle can stay on top of.

People who maintain an attitude of "Humans ain't responsible, so I ain't changing SHIT about the way I live!" are ignorant, misinformed, and irresponsible. Some people are just way too happy with their giant SUVs to give a damn, and I think that's a very small-minded attitude.

And Freak, it's one thing to deny that humans contribute to climate change, but to deny that the polar ice caps are melting due to an increase in global temperature is absurd. I do wish you'd clarify.

That said, leaders should no longer be bickering over the causes of Global Warming anyway. I think the damage has been done long ago. What's important now is figuring out ways to adapt. Basically, the commercial western lifestyle as we know it, is at an end. Hopefully an age of smart living is dawning, rather than some of the more doomy-gloomy scenarios you hear about.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:no, not Alaska, Sarah & Todd Palin have got us covered on that.

there's large sections of the arctic technically claimed by the Beaver and the Bear ...
Oh yeah, I remember recently the Russians planted a flag at the bottom of the Arctic via nuclear sub.
..and all that's been foretold in the Book of Daniel ....
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

But it's not just greenpeace, not even just Al Gore or David Suzuki... It's scientists! That's right, the scientific community. No one has any other agenda, except for preserving a livable environment for humans. People don't attack cars and CO2 emissions just for fun. They have solid reasons, and it all has to do with the greenhouse effect. This is basic stuff.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Drunken Idaho wrote:But it's not just greenpeace, not even just Al Gore or David Suzuki... It's scientists! That's right, the scientific community. No one has any other agenda, except for preserving a livable environment for humans. People don't attack cars and CO2 emissions just for fun. They have solid reasons, and it all has to do with the greenhouse effect. This is basic stuff.
There are scientists who say the opposite too. As for the ones we hear about pimping global warming not having an agenda...

http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

So what's their agenda, Freak?

"Gawd, I hate cars! Ohhh I just hate them so much! So convenient! AGH I HATE THEM! Whatever will I do? Eureka! I'll falsely claim that they're killing the planet. Yes, that'll work. That'll put an end to those pesky CARS! And don't get me started on coal..."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
of course, if we were in a period of global cooling, greenpeace would be blaming all of humanity for that as well.
That’s a pretty immature baseless (and pointless) comment.

Have your opinions, but stupid comments like this achieve nothing but making you look like a child. "They" say that humans are causing global warming because that's what the majority of scientists say the data supports. Agree or disagree, but deal with it like an adult.
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:But it's not just greenpeace, not even just Al Gore or David Suzuki... It's scientists! That's right, the scientific community. No one has any other agenda, except for preserving a livable environment for humans. People don't attack cars and CO2 emissions just for fun. They have solid reasons, and it all has to do with the greenhouse effect. This is basic stuff.
There are scientists who say the opposite too. As for the ones we hear about pimping global warming not having an agenda...

I can give you an identical link that proves evolution didn't happen and we lived alongside dinosours. :lol: I'll bet 50$ some of the same "scientists" are involved in both positions.

The fact of the matter is that we are dumping poison into our environment at an alarming rate. GW or no GW the results are going to be unpleasant for everything that lives on this ball of rock.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Drunken Idaho wrote:So what's their agenda, Freak?

"Gawd, I hate cars! Ohhh I just hate them so much! So convenient! AGH I HATE THEM! Whatever will I do? Eureka! I'll falsely claim that they're killing the planet. Yes, that'll work. That'll put an end to those pesky CARS! And don't get me started on coal..."
Here's a hint: As "Deep Throat" famously told Washington Post "Watergate" reporter Bob Woodward, "Follow the money."
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

junkscience.com wrote:This does seem to cause some confusion so, to highlight the distinction between actual greenhouses and Earth's inaccurately named greenhouse effect simply note that greenhouse temperatures are maintained by controlling the mixing air inside and outside the greenhouse (if it's too warm in the greenhouse you open a top and bottom window and let convective action displace warmed air with cool) while Earth's atmosphere is surrounded by the near-vacuum of space.
I'm not even going to cough. This is utter bullshit. Even the graphs below, which support the above quote, are such nonsense. Have you considered not using a website called "Junk Science" as your source? Because that is what this is.

I'm aware of the scientific minority on the issue. There always is a minority, even with evolution and such. But the majority agree, and I simply don't see why they would falsify or exaggerate any facts.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

I can give you an identical link that proves evolution didn't happen and we lived alongside dinosours. :lol: I'll bet 50$ some of the same "scientists" are involved in both positions.

The fact of the matter is that we are dumping poison into our environment at an alarming rate. GW or no GW the results are going to be unpleasant for everything that lives on this ball of rock.
I can show you evidence that the universe was created by The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

If you're going to dismiss any evidence I post like that there's no point having this discussion.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sorry, go sell your fear somewhere else.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

There is no point to having this discussion. We've both already decided what our positions are based on what we've been told. Interestingly enough, we both seem to conveniently believe the side of the issue that lines up with our worldviews, so we're likely both biased - regardless of which one of us agrees with the majority and which with the minority.

I think we both like to sell our own fear here Freak. We're both biased and we should both admit it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

http://friendsofscience.org/index.php?ide=4

(A Canadian Group!)
It is our opinion that the Sun is the main direct and indirect driver of
climate change.
Variations in solar activity and cosmic rays correlate to temperature much
better than CO2. This may be because an electro-magnetically active sun
diverts cosmic rays from hitting the atmosphere. Cosmic rays have been
shown experimentally to assist in cloud formation. Fewer cosmic rays
result in reduced low cloud cover, which allows more sunlight to warm the
Earth’s surface.
The United Nations - IPCC reports have been misrepresented by the nonscientific
IPCC bureaucrats in preparing the Summary-for-Policy-Makers.
Recent research casts doubt on historical data used by the IPCC. Urban
effects have contaminated surface temperature data. Some measured CO2
levels of the past 180 years appear to be in excess of present levels.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've seen reports that state an increase of trees in areas usually covered only by snow is causeing less solar radiation to be reflected back into space off the snow.

So you can blame trees for global warming.

Look, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I don't think we're nearly as responsisble as we're led to believe.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Fari enough, my complaint isn't people arguing the degree to which we cause GW, it's that people who decide it's a small degree seem (often, not necessarily you here) to take that as a free pass to pollute. I've said it many times, but GW is only one of a plethora of problems being caused by our pollution. Even if we knew 100% that cutting back our CO2 emmissions wouldn't slow the warming we still would need to do it as fast as bloody possible, because we're litterally killing the planet - and we happen to need it just a little bit.

Not some much to do with being a tree hugger (though I do believe that we have a literal moral obligation to treat our fellow lifeforms with respect on this planet) - everything to do with self preservation.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm all for polluting less and this man-made-global-warming-scare-tactic may be the only thing that breaks our dependance on foreign fuel, short of running out.

But I don't think we can take 100-200 years of records and make predictions for a 4.7B-year-old planet.

Hell, they can barely predict what the weather is going to be like tomorrow!
Last edited by Freakzilla on 19 Feb 2009 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Back on topic - I think it's hilarious how much security the Pres gets, secret routes, snipers on roofs etc - our leader we just leave to the wolves.

How much security does our PM even get? I imagine he has a few security officers that travel with him, but certainly no snipers! Ah, the joys of being a less important country, save money on this kind of stuff. :D Kinda funny.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Back on topic - I think it's hilarious how much security the Pres gets, secret routes, snipers on roofs etc - our leader we just leave to the wolves.

How much security does our PM even get? I imagine he has a few security officers that travel with him, but certainly no snipers! Ah, the joys of being a less important country, save money on this kind of stuff. :D Kinda funny.
Nice try, attempting to be on topic!

I split the topic...

:twisted:
~Pink Snowman