Zimbabwe: the breaking point

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Nebiros

Zimbabwe: the breaking point

Post by Nebiros »

How long would you bet until there is some sort of breaking point in Zimbabwe? I've been asking this question since the beginning of last year.

I watch with morbid fascination when the country of Zimbabwe will cease to exist.

The money there is worth about as much as a copy of Sandworms of Dune or less. The computes cannot fit in all those zeros on the paper. Last time I checked the inflation there is 237.000.000 percent. And it's getting harder and harder to buy a bag of tomatoes. I hear that the cause of this was because of Mugabe siezing land from rich white farmers in 2000 and not knowing how to manage the land combined with corruption.

80 percent unemployment, 1 in every 5 people with AIDS and on top of all that a cholera outbreak with almost 3000 deaths. One doctor calls it Rwanda in slow motion.

Remember last year's election? First the election takes place, the parlimentary election results are revealed. The opposition takes the majority of seats, but the results are challenged and recounted and the opposition STILL wins. Meanwhile the government sits on the presidential election results for over a month before revealing than Morgan Tsvangirai won more votes but not enough to avoid a runoff. And then Mugabe proceeds to have his gangs of thugs go around beating opposition supporters and putting the opposition party chairman on trial for treason forcing Tsvangirai to drop out of the runoff election and Mugabe winning a SIXTH term in office.

I wish Tsvangirai had not dropped out. Because if he had won the runoff and Mugabe refused to step down, he would COMPLETELY lose his legitimacy as head of state.

Then there are the ongoing talks of a power sharing deal. If such a deal was made, Of course that would be a relief, but it would sadden me that Mugabe is not brought to justice for his crimes.

But these power sharing negotiations have been stalled since last year. I hear on the news that a deal has been made, but the fact that it took several months shows how pathetic and selfish the politicians are. And even now the opposition is saying not so fast.

So my question is how much longer until somebody says enough is enough and ends it somehow.

It seems that the only way for the international community to end it is to simply remove Mugabe with military force and we know that will never happen.

Maybe Mugabe will eventually lose favor with the army and he will be overthrown in a coup.

Will a power sharing deal be made? This is good but what if that does not happen?

The most realistic thing I see is when Mugabe dies. His successor while still a dictator, will concede that his country needs help and will open up to foreign aid.

And how long until the money is utterly useless? Another year or less?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

How many hours did you hold and/or help care for your daughter today?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:How many hours did you hold and/or help care for your daughter today?
I got a hug and a kiss from mine!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mine likes to help me put my shoes on every morning. Then I hug her and tickle her and kiss her lots!!! :D

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Sole Man

on Daughters

Post by Sole Man »

I cooked mine in the microwave and ate her for lunch.

Thne I foun dout I don't have a daughter.

Who the Hell did I eat?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

You are one odd, odd person.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

you're posting on the wrong board, dude.

we're north americans and don't give a fuck about Africa,
unless they have oil.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Or WMDs and oil.

Just WMDs is fine though, as long as they aren't being mixed with oil. :lol:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Zimbabwe: the breaking point

Post by Nekhrun »

Nebiros wrote:How long would you bet until there is some sort of breaking point in Zimbabwe? I've been asking this question since the beginning of last year.
Well, then I'd say that it would have to be at least a year.

I think the place you really should be asking these kinds of questions is here.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Wow, tough room here. :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:Wow, tough room here. :)
Try the roast beef, don't forget to tip your waitress!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

I'll take Nekhrun's advice and post it there. Maybe some people there will be more interested.

Anyway it's just one of several news stories I followed through 2008. Others include the US presidential election of course and the Beijing Olympics.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Maybe you should go to Africa and do some volunteer work, too?

Jesus would, you know. Always ask yourself: What Would Jesus Do?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nobody appreciates our help anyway, WTF should we do anything if it's not in our own best interest?
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Always ask yourself: What Would Tyler Durden Do?
Fixed :)
Freakzilla wrote:Nobody appreciates our help anyway, WTF should we do anything if it's not in our own best interest?
Preach it! Decades and decades of aid and nothing changes. The solution obviously isn't more money.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

As Sam Kinnison said, "stop sending them food, send them U-hauls. YOU LIVE IN A DESERT, MOVE TO WHERE THE FOOD IS!".
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

There's more corruption there than ants :?
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Seraphan wrote:There's more corruption there than ants :?
Or flies, usually on their eyelids.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Freakzilla wrote:
Seraphan wrote:There's more corruption there than ants :?
Or flies, usually on their eyelids.
Uhhhh, now that's a harsh one :lol:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I hate those Christian Childrens Fund commercials. At least they got rid of Sally Struthers.

~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I hate those Christian Childrens Fund commercials. At least they got rid of Sally Struthers.

BARON HARKONNEN? :shock:
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:Nobody appreciates our help anyway, WTF should we do anything if it's not in our own best interest?
To be fair, there are a lot of people who really do appreciate the aid, and there has been a lot accomplished. Just because the problems haven't gone away doesn't mean nothing is being done. I really have no idea where you've gotten the idea that foreign aid goes un-appreciated, or that it does no good.

I think you've been watching too much FOX. :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
To be fair, there are a lot of people who really do appreciate the aid, and there has been a lot accomplished. Just because the problems haven't gone away doesn't mean nothing is being done. I really have no idea where you've gotten the idea that foreign aid goes un-appreciated, or that it does no good.

I've never once heard a representative from a foreign country offer thanks for our help.

We only hear how evil we are.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:

I've never once heard a representative from a foreign country offer thanks for our help.

We only hear how evil we are.
Really? So... all the countries you send aid to hate you? So just because FOX (or whatever "un"biased news you watch) never aired someone saying thank-you means that no one cares? Or that, because a leader of a country didn't say thank-you (or did, and you just didn't hear about it because, lets face it, that kind of thing isn't entertainment worthy enough for the news, conservative or liberal) that his people deserve to suffer more? Or that, because many people complain about the evil things the USA does (mostly people in the West, and in nations that aren't exactly the focus of foriegn aid), everyone that isn't from the US should be lumped into the catagory of haters and not given a second thought? Of course you hear about it when someone says something bad, and of course you don't hear about it when someone says something good! that's how the news works man!

Do you really know enough about who gets the aid, who hates you, and who apreaciates the help (look at Israel, they love you guys) to have such an all-encompassing opinion? That's a dangerous opinion, not one to form lightly without serious research and thought.

I think you're a good person, and you want to help people, and I know you're just frustrated at some of the views people have of your country (and honestly, most of those views are not accurate)- but a wounded pride is no reason to say we should give up helping people. Especially when that wound likely came from miss-information.
I'm sorry man, I just can't think that way.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Believe it or not, FOX news is not my sole source. I mainly watch it for Megan and Martha.

:P

I work in the real world and I know it's much more common to get beaten down than to get praise.
Or that, because a leader of a country didn't say thank-you (or did, and you just didn't hear about it because, lets face it, that kind of thing isn't entertainment worthy enough for the news, conservative or liberal) that his people deserve to suffer more?
This kind of attitude really pisses me off. You make it sound as if it's our fault they are suffering in the first place. Where would they be if we'd never given aid?

Same goes for welfare in our own country. Once you give someone a handout they take it for granted and if you cut it off you're evil.

Honestly, I think we should pull out all of our troops worldwide and station them along the borders and cancel all foreign aid until we get our own affairs in order.
~Pink Snowman