Zen and the Art of Vehicle Maintenance

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

inhuien

Re: Zen and the Art of Vehicle Maintenance

Post by inhuien »

I feel fro you Freak, our Astra just blew an engine ECU last week and we were looking it at a £550 repair bill, Fuck that.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm seriously considering selling my house for what I owe (or as close to it as possible) and moving into my parent's house. My mom thinks my dad is about to die and they plan to give me the house anyway.

It's closer to work.

Good school district (we just got rezoned right out of the district we moved there for, only neigborhood on that side of the street!). They would actually go to the exact same schools I went to. High school is walking distance.

I'd be able to repair or buy new(er) cars and get out of debt.

Park close by.

House has a pool, oversided master suite, two small bedrooms, large bonus bedroom, formal living and dining room.

It has a seperate two-car garage that I'd like to remodel into a studio apartment/poolhouse.

There's lots of plusses...

But I'd be living with my mom. :puke:

However, she could give the kids the attention they need and my wife could get a fucking job.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

FZ, that sounds like something you should consider. It's not nearly as rare as it used to be, especially with the economy causing many families to re-think how they've doing things.

Just as an example (I'll spare y'all the blow-by-blow details): since 2004, my wife and I have moved into one of her father's old houses, moved out of that one and into a new one (which we're thinking of actually buying); my sister and her husband bought our grandparents' old house; and my mom moved in with the wife and myself (briefly, thank God; she's out on her own again). And there's other stuff going on, too, like having my wife's parents watch the children as often as possible to save on baby-sitting costs.

It's a different ballgame out there now. The traditional model of grow up, move away, find work, raise a family, and only ever visit at Christmas is simply more difficult than it used to be. Families everywhere are coming up with all sorts of plans to make things work.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

...We'll help you pack ! :P (Mentally)...
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm seriously considering selling my house for what I owe (or as close to it as possible) and moving into my parent's house. My mom thinks my dad is about to die and they plan to give me the house anyway.

It's closer to work.

Good school district (we just got rezoned right out of the district we moved there for, only neigborhood on that side of the street!). They would actually go to the exact same schools I went to. High school is walking distance.

I'd be able to repair or buy new(er) cars and get out of debt.

Park close by.

House has a pool, oversided master suite, two small bedrooms, large bonus bedroom, formal living and dining room.

It has a seperate two-car garage that I'd like to remodel into a studio apartment/poolhouse.

There's lots of plusses...

However, she could give the kids the attention they need and my wife could get a fucking job.
Sounds like a good deal. A few years of no mortgage will do wonders for your credit and debt situation. Grandparents are good things for kids too, generally. Very sorry to hear your dad is in bad health too, Freak.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

TheDukester wrote:FZ, that sounds like something you should consider. It's not nearly as rare as it used to be, especially with the economy causing many families to re-think how they've doing things.

Just as an example (I'll spare y'all the blow-by-blow details): since 2004, my wife and I have moved into one of her father's old houses, moved out of that one and into a new one (which we're thinking of actually buying); my sister and her husband bought our grandparents' old house; and my mom moved in with the wife and myself (briefly, thank God; she's out on her own again). And there's other stuff going on, too, like having my wife's parents watch the children as often as possible to save on baby-sitting costs.

It's a different ballgame out there now. The traditional model of grow up, move away, find work, raise a family, and only ever visit at Christmas is simply more difficult than it used to be. Families everywhere are coming up with all sorts of plans to make things work.
I think this is a good thing.
Alot of stuff went wrong in this country after WWII when that "move out & raise a family on your own thing"
took off. Children moved across the country chasing jobs & "opportunity", extended families broke down...

I hate to say it, but a lot of the excesses of my generation in the 60s was due to lack of parental supervison & contact .... it was easier to get stoned & fight the government if Daddy was 1000 miles away

I'd welcome a return to the extended family - well, for other people, my worthless kids ain't
comin back here, never. Not while I'm alive, anyway.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Not even Lemmy? I think he's just misunderstood ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

TheDukester wrote:Not even Lemmy? I think he's just misunderstood ...
Yeah, where's that pic when he looked misunderstood? :)
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I'm sorry to hear about it Freak. When i was still a baby my parents had to move in to my grandmother's home for financial reasons as well, but things worked out and i'm sure the same will happen to you. I hope you're dad gets better too.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Thanks for everyone's concern but I doubt he'll get better. He's on his last artery and it's got a stint on it. It's his own fault, he was told by doctors he had a heart problem and didn't want to believe it. My mom thinks he's losing his mind from lack of blood flow. It's obvious why she's anxious for us to move in.

It's looking more and more like this is going to happen. I'm not looking forward to living with mom again, but I'm at work most of the time anyway. It will be better financially for all of us and I'll be under tons less stress.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry to hear about your father's condition.

As for mothers ... remember that however annoying or frustrating, they go someday, too, and you miss them.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Freak.

I myself moved back in with the parents to pay for grad school, i'll graduate with no student debt which is a huge blessing.

Now they don't want me to move out... ANYONE NEED A ROOMATE?!?!?!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:Sorry to hear about your Dad, Freak.

I myself moved back in with the parents to pay for grad school, i'll graduate with no student debt which is a huge blessing.

I'll turn the seperate garage into a pool house for you. :wink:

BTW, when I say "my dad" I'm talking about my step-father, who raised me. My biological father (the artist) is dying of cancer.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Sorry to hear about your Dad, Freak.

I'll turn the seperate garage into a pool house for you. :wink:

BTW, when I say "my dad" I'm talking about my step-father, who raised me. My biological father (the artist) is dying of cancer.
Wow...tough break, Freak... :(
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Sorry to hear it Freak.

My brother-n-law moved back in with his mother when his father got bad off. It was just him and his two children but now six years later the house, lights, phone, and water is in his name and he is taking care of his mother. It turned out to be a blessing for both of them. She can't watch the kids anymore but at least she is not alone in her later years.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Eyes High wrote:Sorry to hear it Freak.

My brother-n-law moved back in with his mother when his father got bad off. It was just him and his two children but now six years later the house, lights, phone, and water is in his name and he is taking care of his mother. It turned out to be a blessing for both of them. She can't watch the kids anymore but at least she is not alone in her later years.
That's one thing that worries me too, what's going to happen to my mom when my dad dies. I think she's got plenty of years left in her too, she's going to go kicking and screaming.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

THAT is the only option, as far as I'm concerned. ;)
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freak, sometimes we do things that we don't much care too. I was hesitant about moving back with my parents when I went back to school but it has worked out so far and I have one more year to go. With a little planning maybe you can come up with a schedule that keeps you from going bonkers?

Rob
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Freak.

It sounds like moving into your parents' house could be a good move. A lot of plusses for you and your family, whether just for a while or longer term.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Oh yeah, it's he house I grew up, too.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Looks like I'll be keeping my house, BoA has lowered my payment quite a bit, much more affordable...

Back on topic:

My wife just got a '97 Ford Explorer Sport 4 Door V8 Eddie Bauer with about 190K miles on it from her sister. (Her 2000 Windstar transmission crapped out as she was leaving her parents to go to Florida a few weeks ago and has been junked.) I'm not sure if we're buying it from her, or what but at least my wife has a car. I'm hoping she's going to let us make payments to her on it.

Private party Kelly Blue Book Value: $3790 for excellent condition.

I've never had an SUV before. New toy, WOOHOO!
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Rakis wrote:

my future caregiver :

shoot me in the face now.

(this was the picture in the Christmas card his "old lady at the time" sent me ...)
{which reminds me, Thanksgiving's coming up fast, I've got to start hiding stuff ...}
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:
Rakis wrote:

my future caregiver :

I wouldn't count on that. :shock:
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'm hoping my youngest boy marries the stripper ...
(on the left)

I've got some new pics of them around here somewhere,
she's really good-looking, and apparently not crazy ...
atleast not yet. Looking forward to her coming out here
in november, so I can get drunk & say very inappropriate
things to her ...
ImageImage

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Hell yeah!
~Pink Snowman