Ohio Teen Kills Mom Over Video Game

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

GamePlayer
70mm God

Ohio Teen Kills Mom Over Video Game

Post by GamePlayer »

Ready for another round of pin the tail on the scapegoat? :)

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-na ... ife.Slain/
Ohio teen convicted of killing mom over video game

ELYRIA, Ohio — Although a teenager's obsession with a violent video game may have warped his sense of reality, the boy is guilty of murdering his mother and wounding his father after they took "Halo 3" away from him, a judge ruled Monday.

"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said.

Nonetheless, Burge rejected the defense attorneys' argument that Petric, 17, was not guilty by reason of insanity.

The defense didn't contest that Petric shot his parents in October 2007 after they took the game away from him, but insisted that the teen's youth and addiction made him less responsible.

Petric may have been addicted, but the evidence also showed he planned the crime for weeks, said Burge, who found the teenager guilty of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and other charges.

Tried as an adult, Petric faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole. The judge didn't set a sentencing date.

The teen's mother, Susan Petric, 43, died of a gunshot wound to the head. Her husband, Mark Petric, a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, also was shot in the head but survived.

After the verdict was announced, Petric turned to look at his father seated behind him in the courtroom. Mark Petric, who previously said he has forgiven his son, gave an encouraging nod.

Mark Petric and other relatives left the court without comment.

Prosecutors said Petric planned to kill his parents because he was angry that his father would not allow him to play the video game, in which players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.

On the night of the shooting, Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9 mm handgun and the game.

Mark Petric testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you." He testified that he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from the gunshot.

Deputy prosecuting attorney Anthony Cillo argued during the trial that the teenager had planned to make it appear to be a murder-suicide by putting the gun in his father's hand.

Defense Attorney James Kersey said that when the teenager fled the grisly scene, he only took one item with him: the "Halo 3" game.

A message seeking comment was left Monday with a Los Angeles public relations firm that represents the game maker, Bungie LLC.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hope that was a jury trial and not a bench trial, otherwise the moron judge who said this:
"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said.

just created reversible error.

What a dumbfuck. It was da game dat made him did it! :roll:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Great. Ohio in the news again for all the WRONG reasons. :roll:

Elyria...that's up north.

Near Canada.

Them people's dumber 'n the ones over in Cincinnati.

:P

Seriously, the kid's 17? That's plenty old enough to know that when you shoot someone they're dead forever. Unless he's been hit in the head and suffered major head trauma or is suffering from some sort of hormonal imbalance resulting from a physiological cause, I don't buy the insanity plea.

What's that you say? He's addicted to the game, so that means there's something weird going on in his brain?

Don't give me THAT shit. Did someone tie him down and force him to become addicted? Nope. That don't wash with me, either.

Enough bullshit: FRY THE LITTLE FUCKER.

I don't know if Ohio even has the death penalty at the moment. If we don't, we should.

Someday we'll be able to go in and "fix" what's wrong with these people. Then we can be all bleeding heart and sanctity of life, la la la group hug!

But for now there's no sense in keeping them around and having to house, feed and care for them. You kill someone, you lose your right to life, liberty and all that other shit. You want to save some money? Put him to death and use the raw materials to fertilize the corn. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Maybe they didnt bother to notice that the reason why the little fucker's addicted to Halo 3 is because he's a homicidal sociopath. And that religious father of his must have helped quite a lot: "It's ok, son, god forgives you for killing that squirrel when you where 10" :roll:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Schu

Post by Schu »

I like when people think correlation equals causation. That's when I tell them that TVs must be a cure for AIDS.

Frankly, I don't care whether the kid knew what he was doing or not. Dude needs to be locked up either way. Either he has a dangerously fucked-up view or morality or of reality, and that has resulted in a death and could have resulted in more. The fact that the trigger for this was a violent video game and his addiction to it is completely irrelevant, it could have been anything and still have had the same result.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I blame the Beatles albums.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Hehe...
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I blame rap music, video games, firearms, fur, oil, beef, chicken, and Marilyn Manson. Oh, and since this is a pastor's son, we'll throw in Satan with a cherry on top (sugar is bad too!) :)
Schu

Post by Schu »

We all know who it really is, all that atheist scum.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I blame rap music, video games, firearms, fur, oil, beef, chicken, and Marilyn Manson. Oh, and since this is a pastor's son, we'll throw in Satan with a cherry on top (sugar is bad too!) :)
I don't think the devil gets enough credit these days. :evil:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Schu wrote:We all know who it really is, all that atheist scum.
Damnit! I was hoping no one noticed who's fault this (and everything else) is!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Schu wrote:We all know who it really is, all that atheist scum.
Oh, don't even get me started on those godless pagans :P :D
Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:I blame rap music, video games, firearms, fur, oil, beef, chicken, and Marilyn Manson. Oh, and since this is a pastor's son, we'll throw in Satan with a cherry on top (sugar is bad too!) :)
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"
- Keyser Soze
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
Oh, don't even get me started on those godless pagans :P :D
wait what?? :P
Quiet, you fundamentalist freak! ;) :P
Besides, we all know that cigarettes are really to blame for this. The kid was a chain smoker I tell you! :lol:
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

GamePlayer wrote: "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"
- Keyser Soze
"I used to be in a barber shop quartet back in Skokie, Illinois..."

Heh, this story reminds of back in October when that kid from Barrie (north of Toronto) ran away because his parents denied him his X-Box... Some hunters found him a couple weeks later in a field somewhere. He had died from exposure. Microsoft's gotta be loving all this press.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"
- Keyser Soze
I was thinking of that when I wrote that. You must be zoning in on my brainwaves.
Last edited by Freakzilla on 13 Jan 2009 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Drunken Idaho wrote:
GamePlayer wrote: "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"
- Keyser Soze
"I used to be in a barber shop quartet back in Skokie, Illinois..."

Heh, this story reminds of back in October when that kid from Barrie (north of Toronto) ran away because his parents denied him his X-Box... Some hunters found him a couple weeks later in a field somewhere. He had died from exposure. Microsoft's gotta be loving all this press.
No such thing as bad publicity, huh? :P

Those kids are dying/killing to play these games!
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Drunken Idaho wrote:"I used to be in a barber shop quartet back in Skokie, Illinois..."

Yeah, Brandon Crisp. I followed that story on the CBC website. Kid was another freak.
Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"
- Keyser Soze
I was thinking of that when I wrote that. You must be zoning in on my brainwaves.
My alien mind-control machine is worth every penny! :)
I figured I had a 50-50 chance between that quote from The Usual Suspects or a quote from The Devils Advocate. I went with the better film :)
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

GamePlayer wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:"I used to be in a barber shop quartet back in Skokie, Illinois..."

Yeah, Brandon Crisp. I followed that story on the CBC website. Kid was another freak.
Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"
- Keyser Soze
My alien mind-control machine is worth every penny! :)
I figured I had a 50-50 chance between that quote from The Usual Suspects or a quote from The Devils Advocate. I went with the better film :)
GOOD CHOICE
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Drunken Idaho
LOL! A perfect picture :)

BB
You know what the sad part is, Halo 3 isn't even that good. The first two were awesome, but Halo 3 was a disappointment.

Now Starcraft 2, there's a game worth dumping some victim in a landfill :P :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Where's Dee Schnider when you need him?

I think it was Ozzy who said, "There are no words I can sing that will make you go to hell." Or something like that.

In all seriousness, this is the fault of the parents for not ensuring the kid knows the difference between reality and video games. If they tried and the kid still doesn't get it, he needs to be locked up anyway.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I agree.
But the false blame and scapegoats could become a lot worse. For example, this article could also double as yet another false indictment of firearms as well. Think about it; the article describes the son gaining access to his father's firearm and using that to conduct the premeditated murder of his parents. Video games are to blame for making the kid a killer, but firearms are to blame for providing the means of murder. It's a perfect media scapegoat two-for-one :)
Last edited by GamePlayer on 13 Jan 2009 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Schu

Post by Schu »

GamePlayer wrote:Drunken Idaho
LOL! A perfect picture :)

BB
You know what the sad part is, Halo 3 isn't even that good. The first two were awesome, but Halo 3 was a disappointment.

Now Starcraft 2, there's a game worth dumping some victim in a landfill :P :lol:
Yup. You know, some kid in korea died after a 50 hour starcraft session...

But SC 2 looks pretty damn awesome.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I agree.
But the false blame and scapegoats could become a lot worse. For example, this article could also double as yet another false indictment of firearms as well. Think about it; the article describes the son gaining access to his father's firearm and using that to conduct the premeditated murder of his parents. Video games are to blame for making the kid a killer, but firearms are to blame for providing the means of murder. It's a perfect media scapegoat two-for-one :)
That's like blaming the spoon AND the food for obiesity.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Is addiction to video games a legitimate sickness now?
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.