Wall-E

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Wall-E

Post by Freakzilla »

My mom gave this Disney Pixar movie to one of the kids for Jesus' birthday, I loved it.

It's a post apocylyptic love story between two robots. Wall-E is a trash robot whose job it is to compact trash on Earth into little cubes and stack it and a hobby collecting human artifacts and Eve is a botanical probe searching for evidence of sustainable life. Eve was sent to Earth from the Axiom, an interstellar cruise ship all of humanity went on while a few remained behind in a thought to be failed attempt to clean up the planet. They have been on the cruise for over 700 years and now when Eve returns with a plant and the captain is set to go home, the autopilot, Otto, mutinies revealing that not long after the cruise disembarked, the clean up effort was abandoned and tries to prevent the plant being used to trigger the Axiom's preprogrammed navigation back to Earth for recolonization.

http://adisney.go.com/disneyvideos/anim ... ms/wall-e/
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I loved it too. My wife bought it the day it came out. We have probably watched it five times as a family so far. Its the cutest thing they have ever done.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

This is actually one I want to see. :)

Unless I'm mistaken, though, they're just starting to show it in the theaters over here. (Teg...you know?) It's already out on DVD in the States? :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

I loved it too!

Obviously, it is very much about ecology - but when the captains says to the computer running humanity for its own good: "We don't want to survive; we want to live" I knew someone had read good ol' Herbert!

Hopefully, we will have a few 'tweens seeing this movie who will get that message. KJA&BH, and their devoted fans, will probably remain ignorant...

Maybe they can write a prequel, in which it turns out the machine was really trying to kill mankind, and the reason the captain shouts this was that his chldren were tortured by a toaster in drag...? Must be a buck in it for some author-for-hire, right?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Saw it at the cinema - great film.

Now watch the BBC version of EM Forster's The Machine Stops on Youtube ... I'm pretty sure they did :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Really good effort from Pixar, although they might have lost some of their
younger audience with the general lack of dialog.

Personally I think Pixar peaked with The Incredibles, but this one was better
than Cars, and ranks up there with Toy Story and Nemo.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Spicelon wrote:Really good effort from Pixar, although they might have lost some of their
younger audience with the general lack of dialog.
Allthough it was late, my kids fell asleep watching it with me last night, and I thought the same thing. I had the feeling the theme was not intended for them but for the parents.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Really liked this movie. I'd forgotten it was out on DVD already. We'll have to get a copy.

My kids seemed to like it as well although they are preteen and teenage years, so the lack of dialog doesn't bother them as much as it might some younger kids.

Thanks for reminding me about a well made movie
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

It's definitely one of my favorite Pixar movies. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought "Dune" when watching it. Even their version of machines taking over the ship makes more sense than appeared in McDune.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleszer wrote:Even their version of machines taking over the ship makes more sense than appeared in McDune.
That occured to me too. The Captain getting off his hovering lounge chair and challenging the autopilot was more in the right direction.
~Pink Snowman
Sole Man

On Wall-E

Post by Sole Man »

I didn't see it but something tells I will in school. (They play those kinds of movies. Constantly.)
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: On Wall-E

Post by Serkanner »

Sole Man wrote:I didn't see it but something tells I will in school. (They play those kinds of movies. Constantly.)
How times change ... I had to read books in school.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

i like Wall E as well..i watched it on new years eve for teh first time.... i thought it was pretty funny all the fat people riding around in chairs...and how all food was served in a cup
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

My Favorite Pixar film so far. Listened ot an interview with the c0-writer/director Interesting to here he say how he worked with others and hwhere parts of the movie came form. For example the humans were originally suppose to be aliens and how they went form aliens to humans. He says it is not an environmental movie, originally it was not suppose to be set on earth, and he was thinking like a six year old and how cool would a planet be if it was completely covered in trash? All the digs at technology and how people today do not interact with others as much were intentional. It is a good discussion.

You can down load it from here:

http://creativescreenwritingmagazine.blogspot.com/

Creative Screen Writing Magazine has screenings of movies followed by Q&'A's with the writers, directors, actors ,etc. Some good stuff can be found here.

Rob
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Robspierre wrote:My Favorite Pixar film so far. Listened ot an interview with the c0-writer/director Interesting to here he say how he worked with others and hwhere parts of the movie came form. For example the humans were originally suppose to be aliens and how they went form aliens to humans. He says it is not an environmental movie, originally it was not suppose to be set on earth, and he was thinking like a six year old and how cool would a planet be if it was completely covered in trash? All the digs at technology and how people today do not interact with others as much were intentional. It is a good discussion.

You can down load it from here:

http://creativescreenwritingmagazine.blogspot.com/

Creative Screen Writing Magazine has screenings of movies followed by Q&'A's with the writers, directors, actors ,etc. Some good stuff can be found here.

Rob
Thanks for the link. Downloading it now.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie