Excuse me, are you Jewish?

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I like to "Boomhower" 'em, especially those East Indian tech support guys.

Jus' git yew a big ol' chew of that there Red Man, take a deep breath, and ....

Say,main,wegotthisdangtherewiththeoldWindows98dangoldthangjusgoBEEPBEEPBEEPknowwhutImean?anthenthedangoldangoRESTARThellmainwhatthehell,knowwhutimean? Hello ? Kinyouhearme? Awwright. ItsthisdangoldellcomputermaingottheUSBbackedupintotheHDMIdangoldthingjussitthereandBEEPBEEPBEEPknowwhutImean?thatthereaintcool,main......
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Purge

Re: Excuse me, are you Jewish?

Post by Purge »

GamePlayer wrote:Okay, what the hell is up with this? I was accosted like six times in the space of 30 minutes with this question while I was Christmas shopping downtown yesterday. These little wolf packs of guys in funny black hats and bad haircuts approach me "Are you Jewish? Excuse me, do you happen to be Jewish? Pardon me sir, are you Jewish?" I answer "No" politely each time and they leave to go after the person behind me. By the time the third group approached me, I couldn't stand it. I sarcastically replied "I used to be Jewish, but I'm feeling much better now!" By the time I got to six I was running out of material and resorted to "No, but my brothers behind me are much more Jewish than I am, Mr Troll."

So can someone explain to me what these people are doing? I'm sure as hell not going to ask them, for fear of a dreadfully boring 15 minute conversation about our lord and saviour. Is this some kind of recruitment scam? This happen to anyone else? BB?
I suppose they could have been from Habad or some other Jewish outreach movement. In general Jews don't proselytize to non-Jews. However, because of the billions dollar compaigns spent by evangelicals targeting Jews for conversion to Christianity, there have popped up many Jewish outreach groups which attempt to educate Jews about Judaism and about missionaries so as not to be suceptible to them. Assuming this was one of those outreach groups that is why they were asking whether you are Jewish or not. If they weren't Jewish then I assume they were missionaries.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:I like to "Boomhower" 'em, especially those East Indian tech support guys.

Jus' git yew a big ol' chew of that there Red Man, take a deep breath, and ....

Say,main,wegotthisdangtherewiththeoldWindows98dangoldthangjusgoBEEPBEEPBEEPknowwhutImean?anthenthedangoldangoRESTARThellmainwhatthehell,knowwhutimean? Hello ? Kinyouhearme? Awwright. ItsthisdangoldellcomputermaingottheUSBbackedupintotheHDMIdangoldthingjussitthereandBEEPBEEPBEEPknowwhutImean?thatthereaintcool,main......
:lol:

I love Boomhauer.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Purge wrote:In general Jews don't proselytize to non-Jews.
Yeah, Judaism is kind of the ultra-elite country club of religions; either you're a member or you're not. And if you're not, you don't get asked to join. And if you ask to join, for any reason other than wanting to marry a Jew, you probably need your head examined. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Purge wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Okay, what the hell is up with this? I was accosted like six times in the space of 30 minutes with this question while I was Christmas shopping downtown yesterday. These little wolf packs of guys in funny black hats and bad haircuts approach me "Are you Jewish? Excuse me, do you happen to be Jewish? Pardon me sir, are you Jewish?" I answer "No" politely each time and they leave to go after the person behind me. By the time the third group approached me, I couldn't stand it. I sarcastically replied "I used to be Jewish, but I'm feeling much better now!" By the time I got to six I was running out of material and resorted to "No, but my brothers behind me are much more Jewish than I am, Mr Troll."

So can someone explain to me what these people are doing? I'm sure as hell not going to ask them, for fear of a dreadfully boring 15 minute conversation about our lord and saviour. Is this some kind of recruitment scam? This happen to anyone else? BB?
I suppose they could have been from Habad or some other Jewish outreach movement. In general Jews don't proselytize to non-Jews. However, because of the billions dollar compaigns spent by evangelicals targeting Jews for conversion to Christianity, there have popped up many Jewish outreach groups which attempt to educate Jews about Judaism and about missionaries so as not to be suceptible to them. Assuming this was one of those outreach groups that is why they were asking whether you are Jewish or not. If they weren't Jewish then I assume they were missionaries.
Okay, I can see that. Seems a strange way to go about it though. I mean, don't they all go to the same church or some such? Or is that not how Judaism is done?
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Purge

Post by Purge »

I don't know how typical it is. Like I said, perhaps the people who were going through the crowd you were in aren't even Jewish. If they were I assume it was an outreach to other Jews, and that while they may have inconvenienced you they didn't intend to preach to you. From the Jewish perspective parents are supposed to hand down the Torah to their children, but unfortunately many parents neglect this duty.

Thus, there are a number of Jewish outreach groups today who set out to reach out to and educate Jews on their heritage. If they choose to become more observant wonderful, if not at least they have been given the opportunity to learn things about their heritage where they may have only had a caricature of what their heritage was.

And because so much money has been spent by missionaries specifically targeting Jews the Jewish outreach has become all the more important. Missionaries have a history of targeting Jews with little to no Jewish education, and who may be going through one problem or another, where there are strings attached to their "good deeds".
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

God forbid you Jews start in on the preaching at people act, too. It's bad enough with the Paulians ("Christians") and Mormorons doing it. :roll:

As for Jewish outreaches to other Jews, don't you all have a secret handshake or something? Or maybe you could bring back that shibboleth password thingy. ;)
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

A secret handshake would be kinda neat. Hmm, I think the password is "password."
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, but it's all in how you say it. ;)

And if you have a bad ear (as of corn?), you're still outa luck. 8)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Purge
Sounds like a variation on the same old religious theme. Why am I not surprised? Thanks for the insight. It does make sense.

I love the arrogant presumption of these groups and their idea of introducing atheist/agnostic Jews to Judaism. "In touch with their heritage"? What the hell does that even mean? Should I get into Christianity because some ancestor of mine was fed to a lion? :)

Tleszer
"There's no secret handshake. There's an I.Q. prerequisite, but there's no secret handshake" :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Reality Bites

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The child who refuses to travel in the father's harness, this is the symbol of
man's most unique capability. "I do not have to be what my father was. I do not
have to obey my father's rules or even believe everything he believed. It is my
strength as a human that I can make my own choices of what to believe and what
not to believe, of what to be and what not to be."

-Leto Atreides II, The Harq al-Ada Biography
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos
And the cookie goes to...:)

Freak-Z
Great quote.
Sole Man

On Brain Herbert's Mother

Post by Sole Man »

Freakzilla wrote:The child who refuses to travel in the father's harness, this is the symbol of

Clearly Bri-Bri worships this qoute as though it were a god.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Sole Man wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:The child who refuses to travel in the father's harness, this is the symbol of

Clearly Bri-Bri worships this qoute as though it were a god.
I almost agreed with you but that would mean 1) the apocalypse has come :wink: and 2) that Bri-Bri fancies himself a writer.

Because of these reasons I cannot agree with you on this. :D
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You don't think BriBri fancies himself a writer? I imagine "writer" is closer to his self-image than "hotel maid". :lol:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

True, "writer" does have a better sound than "hotel maid," but the only reason I've read his novels is because it has "Dune" in the title. However, I'm sure that hotel maids could and have told stories about their "Melons of DUNE" that they have hidden under their shirts and I'm sure that their stories would be a lot more entertaining.

But I digress.

Actually, to show that I mean no harm, I want to plug "Jessica of Dune" and "Irulan of Dune" aka KJA & Bri-Bri's "Melons of Dune Duology" ("The Double-D Edition of the Dune Chronicles") will be released in 2009 and 2010 respectively.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

good one, thank you.

Melons of Dune : Book One, I like it.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Sole Man

on The Melons of DUne

Post by Sole Man »

MELONS OF DUNE: THE BOOBIE CORUNDUM

MELONS OF DUNE: THE CLEAVAGE OF HATE

MELONS OF DUNEl THE BATTLE OF THE BREAST

This is fun, let's do more.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, another thread successfully derailed. :lol:
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Those are some nice melons, squeeze's them for freshness.

Rob
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I dare you to say that to your dad's face. :lol:
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
chanilover

Re: on The Melons of DUne

Post by chanilover »

Sole Man wrote:MELONS OF DUNE: THE BOOBIE CORUNDUM

MELONS OF DUNE: THE CLEAVAGE OF HATE

MELONS OF DUNEl THE BATTLE OF THE BREAST

This is fun, let's do more.
MELONS OF DUNE: THE TITWANK CHRONICLES
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I kind of like "Cleavage of Hate", has a nice ring to it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Hahaha, yeah, I like cleavage of hate as well. Has a nice ring to it :)