SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Shut Up, Byron

Post by SandRider »

wow, I picked this thread after a board search of "House Atreides",
just to drop the mention that the board was gone, without starting
a whole new, pointless thread ....

then I went back to the top to see just what this thread had
been about, before everybody started pulling different ways on the maker hooks ...

then I thought, hey, I'll quote the OP and throw in Freak's "Farok had three arms" line ....
but continued reading to see if Freak himself had posted that (he had - was this the
origin of that answer, Freak ?)

then I kept on reading all the way thru, cause it's just some good shit, man.

I think this would be the "archived thread" that would embody all that this board is;
there's everything, HLP bashing, good Frank discussion, nipples, cross-forum warfare,
nipples, cookies, freakbanning, drunk posting, off-topic derailment, Hyppo's dead
cats and nipples ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:House Atreides is gone - "removed for inactivity" says the forum-hosting ....

so much sweet trolling and angry typing and all that vital
historical information from that Mariel Boatlift refugee ...
all the love poems and sexy pics Hyppo sent me thru the PM ...

all gone, just gone .... :cry:

{BTW, Chigger, I got there from the link on HairyTicks - bored and wondered
if the board was still there - might want to update your links; another Dead Dune Board ....}

{I think my archive's gone, too - I guess I could contact the netforums.us people and
see if it can be retrieved - unless Omph destroyed it in the attempt to port it over to T(A)U ....}
Don't think I did. I was monkeying around with it a bit ago, but it was fine when I left. It's gone now?

EDIT: Nope. Its still there. Was trying to figure out how to move all that stuff without the spam shit. I think you put up like 120 posts. There are now 1600 there thanks to all the spammers. If I ever figure out how to get it done Im going to give it a dedicated forum at T(A)U.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:...then I thought, hey, I'll quote the OP and throw in Freak's "Farok had three arms" line ....
but continued reading to see if Freak himself had posted that (he had - was this the
origin of that answer, Freak ?)...
Actually, I got that from someone here, can't remember who.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandRider wrote:...then I thought, hey, I'll quote the OP and throw in Freak's "Farok had three arms" line ....
AToE??
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

inhuien wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
AToE??
No, not me, that answer is older than I, I think.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

back to the business of "Shut Up, Byron" ...

I was digging around the OH Archive, and ran across this, which I had forgotten :

http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=623&t=1260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thedune.ru" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
December 2004
Interview with Byron Merritt
Here you can read new interview given to us by Byron Merritt, the grandson of Frank Herbert.
Interviewers: Dicramack & Agamemnon
Interviewee:: Byron Merritt

Brian & Kevin have mentioned graphic novels based on Butlerian Jihad universe in one of their previous interviews. What you know about this project? Has the realization begun or it's simply a prospect idea?

Brian and Kevin are still in negotiations (as of this writing) with their publisher and agent for the production of the graphic novels. According to them, the graphic novels look pretty promising and will probably make it out to the readership soon.
those pesky russian kids then go on to ask embarrassing questions about Spanky's version of the Butlerian
Jihad, the "Dune7 Notes" and so forth - Merritt provides the Official Corporate Dune (OCD?) cut&paste answers,
including my personal favorite :
Have you read "Dune Encyclopedia" by Dr. Willis E. McNelly? What do you think of it?
No, I haven't read it.
:doh: ...... shut up, Byron !
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

What do you want to bet he has read it? And that Anderjacket ordered him — along with his other HLP minions — to just say "haven't read it" whenever asked? After all, that's a fairly quick and painless way to continue to discredit all non-Spanky and Bobo projects.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandRider wrote:Merritt provides the Official Corporate Dune (OCD?) cut&paste answers,
including my personal favorite :
Have you read "Dune Encyclopedia" by Dr. Willis E. McNelly? What do you think of it?
No, I haven't read it.
:doh: ...... shut up, Byron !

That's such bullshit. Of course he's read the fucking Dune Encyclopedia. I wonder if he has to do drugs to be able to blow Kevin without crying... :think:
Byron wrote: No, I do not need to. I choose to.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

merkin muffley wrote:That's such bullshit. Of course he's read the fucking Dune Encyclopedia. I wonder if he has to do drugs to be able to blow Kevin without crying... :think:
I think it turns on Keith when they cry... if he could he'd probably stick a heart plug on every fanboy he has(he has some left hasn't he?)
No, I haven't read it.
hey if you don't like it don't read it!
But... how do you know you don't like it if you haven't read it?

So to be sure you don't like it you have to read it, but if you don't like it you shouldn't have read it.

The only way out short of a paradox overload is to like it. and that is without reading it!

Preeq argument n°??? remixed by lotek
Spice is the worm's gonads.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote: hey if you don't like it don't read it!

So to be sure you don't like it you have to read it, but if you don't like it you shouldn't have read it.

The only way out short of a paradox overload is to like it. and that is without reading it!

That's some catch.
Byron (on his role in HLP) wrote: Nobody in this neighborhood can swallow paste like I can!
lotek

Post by lotek »

merkin muffley wrote:
lotek wrote: hey if you don't like it don't read it!

That's some catch.
Yeah I am quite amazed that it still makes "sense" rereading it later :)
Byron (on his role in HLP) wrote: wrote:Nobody in this neighborhood can swallow paste like I can!
Yuk! But so true...
Sev

Post by Sev »

Replying to Arniloser's DN thread about soundtrack artists for the upcoming movie that'll probably never even come out, Byron's answer was "Hmm. That's a tough one. I'll have to think about, let it fester, before making my list..."

Fester?? Isn't that what wounds do? And official forums, of course... Odd choice of word showing once again that he's barely literate.
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Sev wrote:Replying to Arniloser's DN thread about soundtrack artists for the upcoming movie that'll probably never even come out, Byron's answer was "Hmm. That's a tough one. I'll have to think about, let it fester, before making my list..."

Fester?? Isn't that what wounds do? And official forums, of course... Odd choice of word showing once again that he's barely literate.
I thought he meant he would ask uncle Fester.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Serkanner wrote:I thought he meant he would ask uncle Fester.
DING! DING! DING! And we have a ZING! winner! :lol:

Maybe he was trying to make a funny. You know, maybe he finds suppurating, pustulant wounds as amusing as dyslexia and convergent strabismus (crossed-eyes). He's a swell(ing) guy. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah the more indepther you know him the more annoyingerest he becomes
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:
boardadmin wrote:God Emperor of Dune says that during Leto II's reign one of the Duncan Idaho gholas led the remnants of the Sardaukar in an unsuccessful revolt. After that, Leto II abolished them. Their replacements were the Fish Speakers.
ImageImage

merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandRider wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
boardadmin wrote:God Emperor of Dune says that during Leto II's reign one of the Duncan Idaho gholas led the remnants of the Sardaukar in an unsuccessful revolt. After that, Leto II abolished them. Their replacements were the Fish Speakers.
:doh: Really?

Is that why he thinks he's never read the Dune Encyclopedia? He thought it was God Emperor of Dune?

I must be missing something, right?

EDIT: Okay, I've seen the other thread. That's awful. You'd think that being related to Frank Herbert and having a job related to Dune would motivate you to become a genuine expert on his writing. Apparently not. Painfully and obviously not the case.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Sev wrote:Replying to Arniloser's DN thread about soundtrack artists for the upcoming movie that'll probably never even come out, Byron's answer was "Hmm. That's a tough one. I'll have to think about, let it fester, before making my list..."

I think he meant what he said & that it speaks to his contempt for Dune. I've little doubt that at HPL it's not 'cool' to like Dune. The feeling I get reminds me of the blockheads who gripe about their job because they have to go there every day and do stuff. KJA arrogance rubbing off like poison ivy, infecting minds that are easily swayed into believing income and apathy are cool substitutes for understanding and integrity. Am I being harsh? Maybe he doesn't know what that word means. I doubt it. It's too perfectly snide and sarcsastic and fits too well into a pattern that smarter people than me, here, have noticed. If it's a bad joke, an honest mistake, i'm sorry. If not, well, i'm not able to pour the amount of scorn and derision required.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

This is the only reference to the Sardaukar in GEoD:

One of the most terrible words in any language is Soldier. The synonyms parade
through our history: yogahnee, trooper, hussar, kareebo, cossack, deranzeef,
legionnaire, sardaukar, fish speaker... I know them all. They stand there in the
ranks of my memory to remind me: Always make sure you have the army with you.
-The Stolen Journals

SHUT UP BYRON!!!

EDIT: Doesn't Byron says somewhere that he hasn't read the DE? That would mean he is lying.

and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

what a stupid stupid little man...
I can't believe someone would be that ridiculously stupid...
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:what a stupid stupid little man...
After all the Preeks we've encountered? :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
lotek wrote:what a stupid stupid little man...
After all the Preeks we've encountered? :?
Good point!
But with Byron it's different, he's a descendant of Frank and that makes it even worse than the usual preeq crackpot that lives up tehhack's arsecrack...
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Merritt, FED2K interview, 2003
(http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=623&t=1259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

What were your first opinions on the Dune Encyclopedia by Dr. McNelly? Though the Dune Encyclopedia could fit well in the original Dune series of novels, the prequels removed much of it's base in the Dune universe, what are your thoughts on this?

The Dune Encyclopedia was never meant to be the defining book on the Dune universe. It's a good reference book for Dune and Dune enthusiasts (and remains so to this day). When Brian and Kevin set out to write the prequels, they didn't want the influence of the Dune Encyclopedia looming over them, impeding their ideas. So they didn't let it. They wrote the stories that they wanted and got them out to the public. If the prequels removed some of the base of the Dune Encyclopedia, so what? These are fiction books! Not nonfiction. That's an important item to remember.

Did you perhaps have any contact with Dr. McNelly before or after the publication of the Dune Encyclopedia?

No.
Merritt, thedune.ru interview, December 2004
(http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=623&t=1260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

No, I haven't read it.
ImageImage

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Well, at least it is possible he has read it since 2004 of course ... but I still think he lied in the 2004 interview and read a long time ago, just like his grandfather did as well ( and liked it too for that matter ).

and wrote a Dune Novel."
grandmastercrafter

Post by grandmastercrafter »

Serkanner wrote:Well, at least it is possible he has read it since 2004 of course ... but I still think he lied in the 2004 interview and read a long time ago, just like his grandfather did as well ( and liked it too for that matter ).
boardadmin at DN wrote:Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:17 pm
Post subject: what happened to the sardaukar ?
Nekhrun wrote:
boardadmin wrote:
?
You mentioned something that comes from the Dune Encyclopedia as being from God Emperor of Dune. It seems to me that perhaps you've read the DE and are maybe confusing the two books in this instance.

You're probably right. I've read it since that post.
http://www.filmreviewstew.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is this what you're referring to? Am a little groggy this morning... but thought this would be relevant, no? ;)

http://forum.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/view ... 4628#64628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THINK CRITICALLY
:auto-gmcredsmiley: