War on Christmas 2008 : Lock & Load

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Sandrider - Man, you're my hero today. I laughed my ASS off at "I had some of my boys move it around back. Got arrested for that, too." :lol:

Jean Marai - Don't take our anti-religiousness personally (unless you want to, then by all means, go for it) but the USofA is NOT a Xian country, on-paper anyways. Government should be kept as seperate from relgion as possible in a so-called "free" society, and though at times this might slip a bit, it's eveyone's duty to slam religion back to where it belongs: far the hell away from government. End of story. If someone want to have their church run their country they should just move to Saudi Arabia... it's almost the same religion anyways (you'd just have to give up the good old fashioned Christian idol-worship and polytheism). :wink:

Yeah... my words go best with salt.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Politics and religion on every messageboard in the history of messageboards: complete waste of time.

I skip every single post here on either subject; I honestly don't give a shit what a bunch of die-hard Dune fans think about such things; that's not what I'm here for at all. Nor would I expect any of you to give a damn about any of my views on either subject.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Sole Man

on Jeebus

Post by Sole Man »

I'm going to piss on God's grave.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Lawl ... keep in mind, I read practically every post on all other subjects. But, no, nothing from the Big Two That Shan't Be Discussed.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

TheDukester wrote:Politics and religion on every messageboard in the history of messageboards: complete waste of time.
That's okay, just let the adults handle it then ;)

*runs away*

As for religion and this thread...

Mwuahahahaha :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
A Thing of Eternity

TheDukester wrote:Lawl ... keep in mind, I read practically every post on all other subjects. But, no, nothing from the Big Two That Shan't Be Discussed.
Can't say I blame you, but I just can't seem to keep myself out of it. :D

EDIT: and Baraka - dream on my friend, dream on. :wink:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Sandrider - Man, you're my hero today. I laughed my ASS off at "I had some of my boys move it around back. Got arrested for that, too." :lol:

Jean Marai - Don't take our anti-religiousness personally (unless you want to, then by all means, go for it) but the USofA is NOT a Xian country, on-paper anyways.
I'm sick of people saying that this is a Christian nation. None of the founding fathers as I can recall were Christian. I'm glad you brought it up, it bears repeating over and over so those wingnuts don't rewrite history.
A Thing of Eternity

Nekhrun wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Sandrider - Man, you're my hero today. I laughed my ASS off at "I had some of my boys move it around back. Got arrested for that, too." :lol:

Jean Marai - Don't take our anti-religiousness personally (unless you want to, then by all means, go for it) but the USofA is NOT a Xian country, on-paper anyways.
I'm sick of people saying that this is a Christian nation. None of the founding fathers as I can recall were Christian. I'm glad you brought it up, it bears repeating over and over so those wingnuts don't rewrite history.
Ha, I'm not even living in your country and I'm sick of people saying that! Mostly because it's scary as shit. People say "oh, it's a Christian nation" and think that means it's all nice and hugs and kisses.

When I hear people say that, I think of Iran, or Saudi Arabia, or one of many other countries which turned out oh-so-fantastically by merging religion and state. I think of the dark ages, when Christian countires were behaving much worse than the Islamic states are now.

The idea of a Christian Nation is scary. People need to wrap their heads around that, and anyone who wants to blend religion and state should be shot, or hung, depending on whether a gun or gallows happens to be closest at hand.

It's a Nation with Xian's in it. And every other religion. And agnostics, and even a couple atheists. It's NOT a Xian nation, and it should never become one.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

The "Founding Fathers" were of a wide range of religious beliefs - the "rage" or "kewl fad" at the time was Deism, the idea that God created the world, set it in motion, then left it to its own devices. Washington was an Angilcan, for political reasons. Then there were those nutjobs from the Rhode Island Plantation, the actual reason for the Second Amendment's non-Establishment Clause.{edit - Crazy Religion as we know it in this country didn't real start up until the 1830s.)

And the basis for my favorite English word of all time:

antidisestablishmentarianism.

Thing's statement brought to mind the main difference between
Republicans and Democrats, or conservative/facists and progressive/liberals
or whatever.

I believe in Freedom of Speech. They can say whatever kind of crazy shit they want, fine with me, as long as debate and refutation are possible.

I start talking and they want to toss me in a concentration camp.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

SandRider wrote: Thing's statement brought to mind the main difference between
Republicans and Democrats, or conservative/facists and progressive/liberals
or whatever.

I believe in Freedom of Speech. They can say whatever kind of crazy shit they want, fine with me, as long as debate and refutation are possible.

I start talking and they want to toss me in a concentration camp.
Did my statement remind you of the facists or the liberals? I was a bit overboard with the hanging/shooting statement. :oops: I was referring to anyone who tries to do such a thing when I said "anyone who wants to", I didn't mean to step on freedom of speech, people can of course, say whatever they want, up to a point. Every right has a limit, freedom of speech doesn't cover certain things IMO.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

nosir, I don't think I read your post clearly the first time.

I really shouldn't be posting right now anyway, I'm just wating
aroundto see what Chigger has to say about teh Hyppo sighting ....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
A Thing of Eternity

You can't answer "no" to a this or that style question! :lol: Damnit man! Was I speaking like a facist?
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Christians = whiny pansies who get their knickers in a twist when they try to tell others how to live and what to do and act offended when rightfully told to fuck off.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Southern values and southerner's priorities arent any more or less screwed up than anyone elses, even if they are different. And Bush is not about balancing some cosmic scale: He's just about looking out for numero uno. Plus he is too fucking stupid to realize the enormity of the damage he has caused. God I hope he goes to jail someday for his crimes. I'm so past worrying about the "sanctity of the office of the president" anymore, and just hope that someday someone brings everything he did to light.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Baraka Bryan wrote:I'm a Christian
Yes, but we still hold out hope for you. I'll even say a Jewish saint prayer for you ... if you won't be offended. :P
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I was a student until fairly recently and still really want to be one. I love this stuff. :P

I wouldn't be at all bothered about religion if it could accept one single precept:

The ability of truth to persuade.

Unfortunately, so far, religion (almost all religions so far as I'm aware) fails at it. From the rejections of the Copernican observation that the earth travels around the sun onwards - it all sounds very much like the power of faith to dictate instead. Which is not what you want in politics.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ive deleted some genocide bullshit from Sloey here again. Sloey. Last fucking chance. I personally asked you to come over here, but if I see one more goddam Hitler/genocide/Jew post from you again, Im banning you.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Pansyass

Post by Pansyass »

SandRider wrote:Man, I really don't want to touch this one. But I guess I have to.
I really rather you didn't touch it. You don't look very clean.

First off, Jean Marai - if you haven't read far enough into this board yet, you may not have realized that most of us are not only atheists, alot are positively anti-religious. And I think it's be safe to say that Frank Herbert had no small part in that, for most.
I had no idea.

The SandChigger, for the most part, is a very decent person, except where Christianity and Kevin J. Anderson are concerned. And Noam Chomsky. And probably a few others, but you get my point. He will come up with the most g-dawful things about the Little Baby Jesus, so you either have to overlook that or take it personally. I'll assure you, he does mean those things as a personal attack. (I think).

Enough with the apologies for the Tick.
No apologies needed here!

Why yes, I would sue my Government over their violations of the Law. (Have, Am, Will).
The injuction against the courthouse's creche is sitting on the Judge's desk right now, where it will
most likely remain until after the New Year. The law is very clear on what is (currently) acceptable;
my County is in blatant violation of that Law. Now, understand, I live way out in West Texas, where
the only thing more important than the Little Baby Jesus is Six-man High School Football. And rodeo.
These people are brainwashed Republicans, evangelical, fundamentalists, and GREAT supporters of the
"Rule of Law" when it comes to things like "Immigration" (meaning "All these damn meskins"), but not
such sticklers when it comes to Civil Rights.
immigrants need civil rights; I guess the meskins are fucked.
alsoThey don't want the Guvmint to tell 'em how to live.
But they like to tell others how to live. :roll:

As far as arson, for one thing, I helped pay for the g-ddamned Nativity Thing about ten years ago.
:?:
Five
years ago when they started this thing of putting it in front of the Courthouse, I had some of my boys move
it around back. Got arrested for that, too. I don't want to destroy the thing, and I'm not against it being
on the courthouse square. I'm not against getting arrested, either, but these days, the Judge and the Sheriff
have discovered it's easier to just get me drunk and promise they'll "take care of it". One of these days,
I'll get hip to their little plans.

May the G-d of Your Choice Bless & Keep You !
Damn!
:lol:
Sole Man

On my hero, Hitler

Post by Sole Man »

Omphalos wrote:Ive deleted some genocide bullshit from Sloey here again. Sloey. Last fucking chance. I personally asked you to come over here, but if I see one more goddam Hitler/genocide/Jew post from you again, Im banning you.
You invited me...Oh wait, you said that.

Anyway, don't remember what you;re talking about. Could you PM it to me or something?
chanilover

Re: War on Christmas 2008 : Lock & Load

Post by chanilover »

SandRider wrote:I got a late start this year because of my back troubles, but I'm off to the
LittleBigTown now to file an injuction against the county for the Nativity
Scene on the Courthouse Lawn. (I won last year, but didn't get a ruling
until March. See how that works ?)

For the Record, I'm not against the public display of this stuff. I love
Christmas, was raised in the Southern Baptist Church, altho not now
a Believer. I still love my people and their crazy mixed-up ideas, G-d
love 'em.

But, the law's the law. The current Supreme Court ruling is that displays
of this type, specifically on Courthouse squares, can be placed on the
sides of the Courthouse, but not around the main entrance, or the pathway
to the main entrance, which is where ours is.
Are Americans that obsessed with the idea of the separation of church and state that there are laws about where you can put a nativity scene in and around a public building. And people actually took this pointless shit all the way to the Supreme Court? :lol:

Get a fucking grip, America.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: War on Christmas 2008 : Lock & Load

Post by Freakzilla »

chanilover wrote:
SandRider wrote:I got a late start this year because of my back troubles, but I'm off to the
LittleBigTown now to file an injuction against the county for the Nativity
Scene on the Courthouse Lawn. (I won last year, but didn't get a ruling
until March. See how that works ?)

For the Record, I'm not against the public display of this stuff. I love
Christmas, was raised in the Southern Baptist Church, altho not now
a Believer. I still love my people and their crazy mixed-up ideas, G-d
love 'em.

But, the law's the law. The current Supreme Court ruling is that displays
of this type, specifically on Courthouse squares, can be placed on the
sides of the Courthouse, but not around the main entrance, or the pathway
to the main entrance, which is where ours is.
Are Americans that obsessed with the idea of the separation of church and state that there are laws about where you can put a nativity scene in and around a public building. And people actually took this pointless shit all the way to the Supreme Court? :lol:

Get a fucking grip, America.
This is why we lead the world in handgun murders. USA is #1! :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Sole Man

On something completely different.

Post by Sole Man »

I hope if Global warming heats up the tempertarue pbulic nudity becomes the excepted norm.

(Maybe all the ugly fat people will sweat it all out)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Well, yes Luv, I guess America is "obsessed" with the issue. It divides the country in the same way the abortion on demand issue does. One camp believes in the religious basis of the nation and government, the other doesn't; both think they are being persecuted and silenced. I've been intrigued with the sheer balls local governments display in just flat out ignoring the Supreme Court decsion - on the one hand, being a descendant of Confederate Veterans and Seccessionists and really wrapped up in that history, it's kinda cool. Screw the Federal Government, this is a free country and leave folks alone. As a Radical Progressive and Democrat, the utter disregard for Law when it curtails their religious traditions is more than disturbing. As a local political agitator, rabble-rouser, and all-around hell-raiser, it gives me something else to annoy the shit outta the Town Fathers with.

By the way, I forgot to update: the Friday before Christmas and all the downtown stuff that goes on that Saturday, the Sheriff got a bunch of County Inmates out and turned the creche scene, facing the flagpole and marble monuments on the square, facing away from the sidewalk and main entrance to the Courthouse. I've not yet discovered if he did this on his own, if the Judge told him to, or if my antics had anything to do with it. But I'm counting it as a win for me personally, and for the Rule of Law.
ImageImage

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

In Guernee, Illinois it is illegal for women weighing more than 200 pounds to ride horses in shorts.

(Thank GOD)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:Well, yes Luv, I guess America is "obsessed" with the issue. It divides the country in the same way the abortion on demand issue does. One camp believes in the religious basis of the nation and government, the other doesn't; both think they are being persecuted and silenced. I've been intrigued with the sheer balls local governments display in just flat out ignoring the Supreme Court decsion - on the one hand, being a descendant of Confederate Veterans and Seccessionists and really wrapped up in that history, it's kinda cool. Screw the Federal Government, this is a free country and leave folks alone. As a Radical Progressive and Democrat, the utter disregard for Law when it curtails their religious traditions is more than disturbing. As a local political agitator, rabble-rouser, and all-around hell-raiser, it gives me something else to annoy the shit outta the Town Fathers with.

By the way, I forgot to update: the Friday before Christmas and all the downtown stuff that goes on that Saturday, the Sheriff got a bunch of County Inmates out and turned the creche scene, facing the flagpole and marble monuments on the square, facing away from the sidewalk and main entrance to the Courthouse. I've not yet discovered if he did this on his own, if the Judge told him to, or if my antics had anything to do with it. But I'm counting it as a win for me personally, and for the Rule of Law.
It should be left up to the individual states to decide not the federal government. Like most things.

Down with the man!
~Pink Snowman