Fallout: a post apocalyptic role playing game series

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Seraphan

Fallout: a post apocalyptic role playing game series

Post by Seraphan »

First of, who here is a Fallout fan?

Secondly, if you enjoy RPGs and you havent played Fallout, shame on you.

With that off just let me announce that i have officially finished Fallout 2 (with the restoration project update), it wasnt easy but it was a good and fun gaming experience.
For those of you who dont know, the Fallout universe is set in a post apocalyptic future. I was going to tell about the story but the game's intro can say it better than me:
Fallout 1:http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBNKa2KXZE
Fallout 2:http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=jNKUfk-MgJw
The Fallout universe is a very rich one where you can play virtually any kind of character in a free roaming environment. Excessive violence, sex, all the goods that helps deliver a sense of reality are all there. Fallout 2, quite surprisingly, delivered an even better experience and maturity to it, throwing the player into an even greater hostile world. The big drawback from Fallout is that it requires a lot of saves and in different slots.
You can read everything about the Fallout universe here:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_world
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible_0
Unfortunetly, much like the Duniverse, Fallout 3 is not a true Fallout game, inconsistencies and the fact that the gameplay is pretty much the same as Oblivion and nothing as the originals leads to questioning just what kind of Fallout "faithfulness" was Bethesda talking about. Fallout Tactics, despite it's inconsistencies is a great tactical game, and should be given a try if possible.
Well then, please do post your Fallout opinions, experiences and/or questions.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

As I said in the other thread, I haven't finished Fallout 1 yet. I kept being killed by radscorpions. Also, I don't like timed quests. And the first quest puts you on a 120 day timer to find that water purifier! Just exploring that town and vault to the east already takes a big bite out of that time....

So I put it aside for now and started playing Fallout 3 first. Great, great game. I don't mind that it plays like Oblivion, I'm a huge morrowind/oblivion fan anyway.

What exactly are the inconsistencies with Fallout 1/2? (without spoiling the plot). Fallout 3 takes place on the East Coast, so how could it conflict with 1 or 2?
Sole Man

on Fallout

Post by Sole Man »

Never played it; but I did the architecture is very similar to that of the 1950's, my favortie part of human history. Is that true or...

Anyway, I don't care much for games anymore, (Though I do wnat GEARS OF WAR 2, told my dad if he wanted to get something, get it) Anyway, I really don't like RPGs, or Oblivion, so I'll just shut-up now.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

dunaddict wrote:As I said in the other thread, I haven't finished Fallout 1 yet. I kept being killed by radscorpions. Also, I don't like timed quests. And the first quest puts you on a 120 day timer to find that water purifier! Just exploring that town and vault to the east already takes a big bite out of that time....

So I put it aside for now and started playing Fallout 3 first. Great, great game. I don't mind that it plays like Oblivion, I'm a huge morrowind/oblivion fan anyway.

What exactly are the inconsistencies with Fallout 1/2? (without spoiling the plot). Fallout 3 takes place on the East Coast, so how could it conflict with 1 or 2?
In the latest Fallout 1 patch the timer gets removed.
Well the folks at No Mutants Allowed have a greater list of those inconsistencies than i'm aware. But here it goes:
-"Centaurs were created by tossing a varied mix of dogs, cats, brahmin, and other animals into a FEV vat and seeing what came out the other end." Do they look as such in fallout 3?
-"The construction of Mariposa started in October 2076 when large progress was made in FEV research, and the government preferred to move the project to a location under military supervision. On January 7, 2077, Major Barnett ordered transfer of all FEV research to the newly-constructed Mariposa Base, despite objections by the research team. Along with the scientists, a military team commanded by colonel Robert Spindel, which previously monitored the experiments at West Tek was sent to Mariposa. Spindel's second-in-command was captain Roger Maxson. The FEV project was moved to Mariposa and tested on human subjects. The vats were giant tanks filled with liquid FEV. As part of the research project, human subjects were dipped inside them and then examined to learn how to control and harness the process. The experiments on humans were kept secret even from Spindel and his soldiers." Yet in fallout 3 FEV tests were conducted at vault 87.
- The G.E.C.K. is SPOILER ALERT a terraforming device that also contains How To Books/Library of Congress/Encyclopedias in the holodisk library. It is more than enough to eliminate the radiation found in the water yet in fallout 3 it strangely doesnt.
I'll update more as i find them.
One other cool thing about Fallout that i didnt mention is how the ending differs depending on what you did during the game. For example, in fallout 2, SPOILER ALERT if you kill pretty much everyone in New Reno you get the ending "The inhabitants of New Reno were slaughtered, and the city
collapsed into ruin. No lights shine there now, the streets
only home to packs of wild dogs and vultures. The desert
tribes avoid the giant graveyard, claiming the city is haunted
by evil spirits. Some say the destruction of New Reno was a
judgment from a higher power."
However, if you impregnate one of the Bishop's women "Not long after the destruction of the Enclave, the Bishop
Family of New Reno was blessed with a child. This child
seemed to have little in common with the Bishops, preferring
instead to spend his days exploring the wastes. When he
turned thirteen, he seized control of the Bishop Family and
led them to victory over the remaining New Reno families. He
died quietly in his sleep at the age of seventy-three, never
having known his real father."
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

War...war never changes...

Without doubt, Fallout is one of the greatest video games of all time. A true gaming experience for the ages. I've played Fallout about 3-4 times through completely and it's fantastic each time. The humor is clever and never gets old, the atmosphere is positively toxic (a good thing, in case you missed the pun) and adore all the genre homages to science fiction. If you love sci-fi, you owe it to yourself to play Fallout. This game truly had it all and was such a rich experience that it was one of the last Computer RPG games I played. After Fallout, everything else falls short; it was simply that good. To paraphrase a well know pop culture quote, I dare say that Fallout was the only video game that mattered :)

My favorite character to play is a sniper style, though a thief style character and the hand-to-hand style character are both loads of fun to play. Though I've played the game over several times, I have not yet attempted the non-combatant style character. It would be fun to talk your way through the game, but I love Fallout combat so much, it would be hard to go without :)

I haven't even toyed with the idea of playing Bethesda's Fallout 3. I suppose part of me considers Fallout as Interplays baby and that of no other, but the simple fact of the matter is that format/development is king in the gaming world. Fallout was an isometric Computer RPG developed by the Interplay crew and it always will be. Take that away, and it's not a Fallout game, no matter how good a game it may be on it's own merits. And I do understand that Fallout 3 is a good game for an Oblivion-based experience. If I do play Fallout 3, I'll need a much better system than I have now, so it'll be a while. But having said that, I'll be firmly in the frame of mind that it is a Fallout game in name only and should be able to enjoy it from that understanding.

The Fallout Guy
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Wait ... New Reno? Seriously? :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Bethesda's Fallout as a standalone game is OK and that's the nicest thing I can say about. As a continuation of the Fallout saga it's the suck!!
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

GamePlayer wrote:After Fallout, everything else falls short; it was simply that good. To paraphrase a well know pop culture quote, I dare say that Fallout was the only video game that mattered :)
Wait a minute ....:lol: You obviously haven't played Planescape: Torment! Deep dialogue (yes, almost Frank Herbert quality), weird locations and a moving soundtrack. I must admit that I still haven't finished it, but that's because I'm stuck in Chaotic Curst with a party very low on health.

"What can change the nature of a man.....?"

Other PC games that I consider pieces of Art:

Morrowind/Oblivion
Myst/Riven/Uru
Thief
Bioshock
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Unreal (1)
Starcraft
Beyond Good and Evil
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

GamePlayer wrote:War...war never changes...

Without doubt, Fallout is one of the greatest video games of all time. A true gaming experience for the ages. I've played Fallout about 3-4 times through completely and it's fantastic each time. The humor is clever and never gets old, the atmosphere is positively toxic (a good thing, in case you missed the pun) and adore all the genre homages to science fiction. If you love sci-fi, you owe it to yourself to play Fallout. This game truly had it all and was such a rich experience that it was one of the last Computer RPG games I played. After Fallout, everything else falls short; it was simply that good. To paraphrase a well know pop culture quote, I dare say that Fallout was the only video game that mattered :)

My favorite character to play is a sniper style, though a thief style character and the hand-to-hand style character are both loads of fun to play. Though I've played the game over several times, I have not yet attempted the non-combatant style character. It would be fun to talk your way through the game, but I love Fallout combat so much, it would be hard to go without :)

I haven't even toyed with the idea of playing Bethesda's Fallout 3. I suppose part of me considers Fallout as Interplays baby and that of no other, but the simple fact of the matter is that format/development is king in the gaming world. Fallout was an isometric Computer RPG developed by the Interplay crew and it always will be. Take that away, and it's not a Fallout game, no matter how good a game it may be on it's own merits. And I do understand that Fallout 3 is a good game for an Oblivion-based experience. If I do play Fallout 3, I'll need a much better system than I have now, so it'll be a while. But having said that, I'll be firmly in the frame of mind that it is a Fallout game in name only and should be able to enjoy it from that understanding.

The Fallout Guy
You should definetly try a talkative character, the dialog lines are indeed clever and it's lot of fun when your character uses logical arguments and even philosophy to get what he wants. You dont even have to kill anyone yourself to get to the end.
I usually put more points in luck than anything else, strangely enough as it may sound it does effect your battles, enemies miss a lot and their weapons malfunction. Oh and not to forget the Bloody Mess trait :twisted:
By the way, in fallout 2, when you get the fusion powered car, drive to Broken Hills :lol:

In regards to fallout 3, it's indeed a good game but right now i'm at level 20 and the game is getting boring by the minute. In Fallout 2 i finished it with a level 26 character and i wasnt bored a single minute.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload. ... ile_id=581
This here is a link to download the Fallout Bible. The folks at No Mutants Allowed also have a restoration project update for fallout 2 that adds content that the original dev team did not have the time to put in the game in time for release; this adds new locations, quests and NPCs. They also possess a high resolution patch for both fallout 1 and fallout 2.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm not much of a gamer anymore. I still keep up and play the odd title over at a friends place or during a console rental, but I haven't played a new game in quite some time. The last PC game I purchased was Half-Life 2, which should give you an indication of how often I play these days. However, whether I have a good system or not at the time, I WILL own Starcraft 2 upon release. If I'm still without a decent system by then, it will be a powerful motivator to get a new one :)

I've not played all that much of Fallout 2, but I've played Fallout 1 enough that I have built my own guide to it :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."